Amateur / School Ball

Texsox

At my high school's game. About 100 fans. Cool weather. Watching a couple of my students. Trying not to dog the ump for a really tight strike zone. 

What a great way to spend a few hours after work. 

Was walking home Friday evening and heard a roar, watched  the third quarter of Taft H.S.'s game against Phillips (they took a 21-20 lead before I left but lost 26-21 a few blocks from home.

They played a doubleheader, winning the first game 42-8. Don't know what is weirder, Spring Football or Football Doubleheaders. Similar crowd and weather, nice to see kids get a chance to play, friends and family get to enjoy and some semblance of normalcy after the last 12 months.

I taught at Taft HS San Antonio (all of our schools are named for Supreme Court justices). We went on a bit of a lock down over a social media post threat of violence. I was the only teacher to say are we certain it's not Taft Chicago? Which it was. Nothing happened. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I taught at Taft HS San Antonio (all of our schools are named for Supreme Court justices). We went on a bit of a lock down over a social media post threat of violence. I was the only teacher to say are we certain it's not Taft Chicago? Which it was. Nothing happened. 

Cool, always suspect Chicago first, you'll likely be correct. That said, this is one of the lowest crime areas in the city.

I've only been to San Antonio once, but it was very nice despite the fact it was Summer. Wish I had more time to go beyond the river walk area, hopefully I'll get a chance down the road.

Taft in Chicago is on the far NW side, one of the safer areas in terms of crime statistics here. It's most famously known for being the basis of the screenplay author's (Jim Jacobs) personal high school experience. The musical was set in Chicago, the film moved the HS to Southern California. I don't recall many films being based out of here until the Blues Brothers became a hit a few years later.

I went to St. Patrick HS, wanted to go to Lane (co-ed) but my parent thought I needed "more discipline". I'm sure some here would concur with this sentiment. :D