The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

Pushed a lot of the right buttons through the 1st two games.  I think we've already seen a number of bullpen decisions (quicker hook for some, longer for others) that Rickie doesn't make.  IMO it's been a breath of fresh air.  I like that he road the hot arm in Kopech last night even though Trout got on.  Rickie liked to burn through relievers when often times the guy was obviously in command and could have gone another batter or two.  

He also used an early defensive replacement after Vaughn's last AB.  Good shit.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I loved the decision to walk Pujols (runner on 2nd anyway) to get to the Hendriks vs. Iglesias matchup.  I saw bitching about this in the game thread but 1) Pujols homered earlier, 2) Pujols' decline is often overstated because it seems to be interpreted more relative to his own prior performance and not so much relative to the rest of the league, and 3) there is no way in hell even a depleted Pujols is less dangerous than Jose freaking Iglesias.  That pitch Iglesias (from Hendriks) flied out on, Pujols hits out.  

Great move by TLR.

Also I don't mind Hendriks getting the rocky debut out of his system.  Maybe he'll relax a bit.  I'm still very worried about that contract but we'll see.  Hopefully he's good.  I wouldn't have done that though and Hahn's FA record still blows.

• Like 1

The move to use Hendricks in the 8th was a big W for me last night. I’m a big believer in putting your best reliever in a spot where the game needs to be saved the most, and that isn’t always the 9th. Now, once it got to 12-6 I was open to them pulling him for another RP to make him available today, but I also understand how baseball works, costing Hendricks a save is probably not going to go over well and he just as easily could of had a 1-2-3 ninth, but Liam made it harder on himself than it probably needed to be. 

I also agree with Stone and Jason last night that I'm not sure Hendricks throws the same type of pitches to Ohtani if it's a one run game. Maybe, but it's just a different situation when you have a big cushion. 

Either way, I've been very pleased with TLR in the first two games. The tendencies he's showing early are very encouraging. 

• Like 1

Yesterday in the 5th inning, he sent Keuchel back out when he was clearly gassed, and most importantly no one was up in the bullpen. He wound up with 2 runners on and 0 outs with Ohtani and Trout next, and Foster coming in after rushing a warmup. It took a Herculean effort to avoid a big inning - if LaRussa wanted Keuchel to go back out, he should have seen he was struggling and at least had someone ready to go after Fowler hammered the ball. That’s one where the manager should be on top of things.

For a counter example, LaRussa sent Kopech out in the 8th inning with Trout leading off, to give him the shot at Trout. However, he had Marshall already warm before the inning started. This was the proper way to handle it - when Trout walked (narrowly, some help from the ump), he brought in Marshall immediately.

So one correct and one incorrect version of the same move yesterday.

51 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Pushed a lot of the right buttons through the 1st two games.  I think we've already seen a number of bullpen decisions (quicker hook for some, longer for others) that Rickie doesn't make.  IMO it's been a breath of fresh air.  I like that he road the hot arm in Kopech last night even though Trout got on.  Rickie liked to burn through relievers when often times the guy was obviously in command and could have gone another batter or two.  

Kopech is a little different case where they are purposely going to leave him out there for multiple innings to build up his innings to start. He will be handled much differently than an ordinary reliever all year.

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

The move to use Hendricks in the 8th was a big W for me last night. I’m a big believer in putting your best reliever in a spot where the game needs to be saved the most, and that isn’t always the 9th. Now, once it got to 12-6 I was open to them pulling him for another RP to make him available today, but I also understand how baseball works, costing Hendricks a save is probably not going to go over well and he just as easily could of had a 1-2-3 ninth, but Liam made it harder on himself than it probably needed to be. 

I also agree with Stone and Jason last night that I'm not sure Hendricks throws the same type of pitches to Ohtani if it's a one run game. Maybe, but it's just a different situation when you have a big cushion. 

Either way, I've been very pleased with TLR in the first two games. The tendencies he's showing early are very encouraging. 

Yeah,  most closers have issues when they have big leads. It's a different mindset.

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

Some are of the philosophy that once you get the guy warmed up and ready, and he's already in the game, it already counts as an appearance so you might as well let him go the normal distance if you can.  I think TLR did that.

As I said though, personally, I think that low pressure situation on the road was a good chance for him to get that first bad outing out of the way.  The really important decision was bringing him in during the 8th when the game was tight.  And I do think he's a different pitcher in a save situation, and I also hope that with Crochet still available, if it was a save situation with Hendriks really struggling, TLR would have gone to Crochet if necessary rather than adopting the "live and die with my closer" mindset, which I hate.

Edited by YourWhatHurts

12 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Some are of the philosophy that once you get the guy warmed up and ready, and he's already in the game, it already counts as an appearance so you might as well let him go the normal distance if you can.  I think TLR did that.

As I said though, personally, I think that low pressure situation on the road was a good chance for him to get that first bad outing out of the way.  The really important decision was bringing him in during the 8th when the game was tight.  And I do think he's a different pitcher in a save situation, and I also hope that with Crochet still available, if it was a save situation with Hendriks really struggling, TLR would have gone to Crochet if necessary rather than adopting the "live and die with my closer" mindset, which I hate.

I agree with you....but I don't see Tony being that guy. And I do think the contract plays a role in that quite frankly. They paid him to be "the guy", this isn't Alex Colome. It's his ninth inning. 

I'm totally with you, I'm just saying how I think TLR probably sees it. 

1 hour ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I loved the decision to walk Pujols (runner on 2nd anyway) to get to the Hendriks vs. Iglesias matchup.  I saw bitching about this in the game thread but 1) Pujols homered earlier, 2) Pujols' decline is often overstated because it seems to be interpreted more relative to his own prior performance and not so much relative to the rest of the league, and 3) there is no way in hell even a depleted Pujols is less dangerous than Jose freaking Iglesias.  That pitch Iglesias (from Hendriks) flied out on, Pujols hits out.  

Great move by TLR.

Also I don't mind Hendriks getting the rocky debut out of his system.  Maybe he'll relax a bit.  I'm still very worried about that contract but we'll see.  Hopefully he's good.  I wouldn't have done that though and Hahn's FA record still blows.

The walk was moreso to get Hendricks into the game than to worry about Pujols.  It just looked like he was respecting Pujols.  He really wanted to get Hendricks in the game in the highest leverage spot.  

2 hours ago, Tony said:

It was less a function of "costing him a save" than it was unexpectedly warming someone up after Tony made the decision for Hendriks to get the final four outs.

I'd chalk up Hendriks' 9th to having to sit through a lengthy top of the 9th, with two pitching changes, two additional mound visits and the Sox batting 9 hitters. I do agree with the assessment with the Ohtani at bat.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yesterday in the 5th inning, he sent Keuchel back out when he was clearly gassed, and most importantly no one was up in the bullpen. He wound up with 2 runners on and 0 outs with Ohtani and Trout next, and Foster coming in after rushing a warmup. It took a Herculean effort to avoid a big inning - if LaRussa wanted Keuchel to go back out, he should have seen he was struggling and at least had someone ready to go after Fowler hammered the ball. That’s one where the manager should be on top of things.

For a counter example, LaRussa sent Kopech out in the 8th inning with Trout leading off, to give him the shot at Trout. However, he had Marshall already warm before the inning started. This was the proper way to handle it - when Trout walked (narrowly, some help from the ump), he brought in Marshall immediately.

So one correct and one incorrect version of the same move yesterday.

That said, you can understand trying to get at least 5 IP and the win for Keuchel as we near the back two spots in the rotation and anticipate relievers getting equal numbers of innings to Cease and Rodon.

If it would already have been a 1-2 run game, that thinking might have been different.

You can also argue that it should have stayed a three run lead if not for the Eaton miscue.  We had at least three official errors in these two games, at critical moments, then Moncada blowing the DP ball and Grandal not blocking the ball late as well.  Feels pretty fortunate to be a split at this juncture.  Suffice it to say, the defense has been far from crisp, and that will or should get cleaned up as the season progresses.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

That said, you can understand trying to get at least 5 IP and the win for Keuchel as we near the back two spots in the rotation.

If it would already have been a 1-2 run game, that thinking might have been different.

You can also argue that it should have stayed a three run lead if not for the Eaton miscue.  We had at least three official errors in these two games, at critical moments, then Moncada blowing the DP ball and Grandal not blocking the ball late as well.  Feels pretty fortunate to be a split at this juncture.  Suffice it to say, the defense has been far from crisp, and that will or should get cleaned up as the season progresses.

Yes. I have no problem with them giving Keuchel a chance against Fowler. He's not particularly good these days. But after Fowler roped a single into LF, the top of the order was up - Keuchel should have been out right there, but LaRussa hadn't planned ahead. It did not cost them that game, but it was still a mistake.

Tony LaRussa is not to blame for Eaton's miscue, Moncada's error, or Grandal's passed ball. At least as far as I know, LaRussa did not order those things to happen.

• Thanks 1

Still not a fan of him or the hire, but outside of his lineup choices I don't have any real complaints about the job he has done so far.  He has handled the pitching very well and I expect that to continue.  I hope that he catches up with the new in game functions like replay & challenge quickly.  

10 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Lol

This has to be a troll post.

Rick Renteria lost 1 game in 2020 leading after the 7th. 

Tony La Russa has lost 2 games in 2021 leading after the 7th in 3 chances

This thread is praising La Russa bullpen use while slamming Renteria. 

Can't make this shit up.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol

This has to be a troll post.

Rick Renteria lost 1 game in 2020 leading after the 7th. 

Tony La Russa has lost 2 games in 2021 leading after the 7th in 3 chances

This thread is praising La Russa bullpen use while slamming Renteria. 

Can't make this shit up.

Ricky was terrible at bullpen management and if you watched us choke away a division title last year while he had Ruiz pitching in high leverage situations you wouldn’t be make this ridiculous argument.  And I say this as someone who just called Tony out for going with Marshall over Bummer, which isn’t nearly as egregious as some of the moves you & Ricky made last year.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1