The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

44 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Mendick needs to be brought up, whether for one day, one week, or one month, until Tim is able to play SS. No further replies to this, just addressing your “there are no other 2B / SS backups beside Leury” statement.

Getting back to the topic of the thread, beyond the negative win expectation decisions (Intentional Walk of his BFF Pujols) and obvious missed pinch hit opportunities with one of he worst hitters in MLB, I still haven’t heard an answer regarding Tony being literally asleep at the wheel last night having no pitcher ready in the bottom of the ninth.

Did he intend to have Ruiz face the heart of the order? If not, and since he stated he was “saving” Hendriks for save only opportunities, why the hell wasn’t Foster or anyone else available not warming up? Was he surprised someone reached against the great Ruiz?

If another manager did this, this board would have lost their mind over it. Anyone have an answer, beyond a knee jerk “It’s Ruiz’ fault for allowing a base runner.”

You don't make a roster move for Mendick if TA is out for a day or two.  

On 4/4/2021 at 12:08 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol

This has to be a troll post.

Rick Renteria lost 1 game in 2020 leading after the 7th. 

Tony La Russa has lost 2 games in 2021 leading after the 7th in 3 chances

This thread is praising La Russa bullpen use while slamming Renteria. 

Can't make this shit up.

Tony's halo is still intact.  No tarnish either.  Ricky's horns likewise.  Both have the same problem:  In the end, a manager is as good as his bullpen.  Gee, wasn't Ozzie a great manager in 2005 and a clown two years later?  Gimme that '05 'pen and I'll be a great manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

Listen, pitch calling is minimally the responsibility of the Manager and Pitching coach. That is the responsibility of the  pitcher and catcher. They should study and respect scouting reports.   However, a glaring mistake should have been called out so that it would not be repeated, but it was, and it cost the game.

You know there are some teams where the manager and pitching coach actually call the pitches right?

• Like 1

3-1 lead in the 6th inning. Top 2 relievers have had 3 appearances combined in 7 games.

Keuchel gets in trouble. Tying runner coming to the plate. Very well rested Bummer, here’s the spot for him to squelch this rally.

Foster comes in. No one warning behind him. 7 runs score against your 7th best reliever.

Bummer and Hendricks remain fresh for those upcoming clutch innings.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

3-1 lead in the 6th inning. Top 2 relievers have had 3 appearances combined in 7 games.

Keuchel gets in trouble. Tying runner coming to the plate. Very well rested Bummer, here’s the spot for him to squelch this rally.

Foster comes in. No one warning behind him. 7 runs score against your 7th best reliever.

Bummer and Hendricks remain fresh for those upcoming clutch innings.

I hope Hendriks has a save opportunity the next series. Money well spent.

• Like 1

I can see La Russa walking away in the middle of this season, after reaching the #2 spot in managerial wins, matching his #2 spot in losses. Jerry himself said he has no business returning to managing a few months before excluding all legitimate candidates to hire him.

Tony stated he had absolutely ZERO interest in this job if he had to give up his get out of jail HOF ring. He claimed Sunday was his most impressive loss of his career because the Sox denied Ohtani a win. He manages the bullpen for Hendriks to accumulate statistics.

He “invented” the 1980s bullpen. Not sure if he is cognizant he is living and managing in the 2020s. It doesn’t matter, as James Fegan stated this is Jerry’s play toy, fielding a competitive team has NEVER been a consideration under this ownership.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Has anyone watched the Tigers to tell me if Hunch would be better with the Sox talent?

I have a Hunch that Hinch would have had someone warming up earlier in the 6th. :P

3 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I was not a fan of bringing in La Russa at the time it was done. I absolutely hate the move now. This organization can't get out of it's own way.

I tried to be ok with it, but he’s been significantly worse than I could have imagined. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I tried to be ok with it, but he’s been significantly worse than I could have imagined. 

Imagine you're this FO and you build an up and coming team after half a decade of sucking. You finally get the right core pieces, fire your incompetent babysitter manager, and then the owner comes in and says he wants to hire a 77 year old to be a manager that hasn't managed in a decade. Oh and that manager also gets to call pretty much all the shots of who he wants. 7 games into the season, it's clear that the manager is behind the times. Oh and the guy we paid most of our off-season budget to has appeared in just one meaningful situation. 

• Like 1