The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Imagine you're this FO and you build an up and coming team after half a decade of sucking. You finally get the right core pieces, fire your incompetent babysitter manager, and then the owner comes in and says he wants to hire a 77 year old to be a manager that hasn't managed in a decade. Oh and that manager also gets to call pretty much all the shots of who he wants. 7 games into the season, it's clear that the manager is behind the times. Oh and the guy we paid most of our off-season budget to has appeared in just one meaningful situation. 

And also that manager goes all in to pay a lot for a closer that he’s using in a more traditional manner.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, fathom said:

And also that manager goes all in to pay a lot for a closer that he’s using in a more traditional manner.

Or does he think he can trust him and us seeing if there is anyone else he can trust in case said closer is unavailable later in the year?

• Haha 2

LaRussa should never have been hired. As usual no there was no thought process in making this important decision. Admit the mistake, fire him again, and act like a major league club. Then do a real search for a real manager.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

His pressers are so friggin embarrassing!  He can barely stay awake and seems annoyed that the questions are keeping him up.   Makes me wonder how many times he's dosed off during the games.  The lethargic play so far is a reflection of their drowsy manager. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

LaRussa should never have been hired. As usual no there was no thought process in making this important decision. Admit the mistake, fire him again, and act like a major league club. Then do a real search for a real manager.

Yeah. Fuck TLR. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

His pressers are so friggin embarrassing!  He can barely stay awake and seems annoyed that the questions are keeping him up.   Makes me wonder how many times he's dosed off during the games.  The lethargic play so far is a reflection of their drowsy manager. 

Losing Eloy’s charisma and adding the curmudgeon as manager has really made this team less enjoyable. Given the sloppiness as well, it’s been a really hard watch.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

This is all on JR. Let the front office who built you the competitive team put the finishing touches on the roster. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Never gunna happen. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Those players will be traded then, not him

If he's this worn out already, hopefully he realizes that he can't do it and decides to walk away and save others from as much embarrassment as possible..  Hopefully it happens much sooner than later; before the AS break at the latest.  Hopefully before he pulls a Bevington.

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Tony really screwed up today. Did nothing on this road trip to quell fears or doubts.

I still do not believe how long he had Foster in there before ever even getting someone up in the pen.  Foster never should have faced another batter after France.

7 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

If he's this worn out already, hopefully he realizes that he can't do it and decides to walk away and save others from as much embarrassment as possible..  Hopefully it happens much sooner than later; before the AS break at the latest.  Hopefully before he pulls a Bevington.

Robin Ventura spent 4 years on a couch trying to explain that “hard work made me quit” and was given the opportunity to resign rather than being fired. LaRussa will not be leaving. It’s everyone’s pride at this point.

Trying hard to imagine how the defense could possibly have been THIS bad, as well as the bullpen management, under Renteria.

Drawing a blank.

I liked SOME of the decisions in the Angels' series, but TLR's really going to have to up his game.

At least as a White Sox fan, you don't expect to have great managers.

But we shouldn't have managers who you actively have to overcome so many tactical mistakes just to be a middling .500 ballclub.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Robin Ventura spent 4 years on a couch trying to explain that “hard work made me quit” and was given the opportunity to resign rather than being fired. LaRussa will not be leaving. It’s everyone’s pride at this point.

Not saying that he's given the opportunity to resign, saying he just does it on his own because he realizes that he just can't do it physically anymore.  Last night he came so close to nodding off in the presser.  His eyelids have had lead weights on them on every postgame presser I've seem so far, including today.  TLR 10 years ago would have been fine.  From what I've seen of him so far this year, he's a tired old man.  Today's huge pitching mistake(s) is just the tip of the iceberg.  When someone's that tired all the time, mistakes follow.  It's gonna get ugly, some big ones are inevitable.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rounding_Third said:

Not saying that he's given the opportunity to resign, saying he just does it on his own because he realizes that he just can't do it physically anymore.  Last night he came so close to nodding off in the presser.  His eyelids have had lead weights on them on every postgame presser I've seem so far, including today.  TLR 10 years ago would have been fine.  From what I've seen of him so far this year, he's a tired old man.  Today's huge pitching mistake(s) is just the tip of the iceberg.  When someone's that tired all the time, mistakes follow.  It's gonna get ugly, some big ones are inevitable.

That would be admitting he can’t do it. Pride will keep him from anything like that.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That would be admitting he can’t do it. Pride will keep him from anything like that.

It's really going to hurt this "rebuild" if we have a polarizing fight with JR over his hand-picked manager as a fanbase.

That said, the logical thing to do would have been to go with Hinch, with his background in analytics and forward thinking.

Overall, it's just sad that we keep bringing guys like Ventura and LaRussa from the past and tarnishing their White Sox legacies, thinking somehow it's appeasing the fans...when all it is accomplishing is actually the opposite.

This is ONLY about JR's ego, thinking he knows better than everyone else.

Maybe in business, but definitely not in baseball.  His stubbornness is going to jeopardize what should have been a White Sox renaissance with the Cubs' star descending.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rounding_Third said:

Then how many "that's on me" post games is it gong to take?

Somehow his taking responsibility will be spun as a positive sign that he gets it, and is perfectly suited for today's game, taking the pressure off his players ala Ozzie Guillen by becoming a sideshow unto his self.

• Thanks 1