The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

I think he's confusing Hamilton being a veteran, NL player with somehow being good.

Collins, that's another issue altogether.  Like the "bias" against Vaughn or younger players that haven't earned their stripes thing that we also saw with Ozzie over guys like Anderson, Beckham and Viciedo.

I can't really tell what that example is in favor of or against

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

I can't really tell what that example is in favor of or against

For=scrappy, grindy, mostly NL-experienced veterans (see Eaton, Lamb and Hamilton), veterans like Leury who are clearly struggling but have some type of veteran status or tenure argument going for them

Against=any young players other than Luis Robert and Yermin, if 28 can actually still be young

See Collins/Vaughn.  Even Kopech.

“I was confident he’d get the third out. When Ramos came up to bat and after that, I was confident he’d get the last out and the score would be 2-2. It was his inning,” La Russa said. “That’s my fault for not recognizing [he was tired] because I looked at it, ‘He walked the leadoff guy and gets two outs.’ At that point, I gotta say I was confident he’d get the third out.”

I actually don’t think he knew how many outs there were. I really don’t understand it. What is he looking at? How is he THIS bad?

• Thanks 1

He was already taxed coming into that inning, I think it was 95 pitches.

You give him the leadoff walk after the long battle with Castro...after that went against him, you pull him for a reliever and the worst thing that happens is he loses the victory and it's a tie game from a bullpen standpoint.

That walk that started the inning, I'm pretty sure it was 8-10 pitches, that was an obvious warning sign to everyone when he was finishing all of his pitches up high in the zone near the end of the at-bat.

It's not like Ramos didn't already have 6 homers, albeit a relatively low BA.

Dr. La Russa is immensely influential through his career. A commanding presence, he empowers peers, pupils, and locker rooms. Balancing the talent scale as a enlightened heavy-weight in baseball. I will see him give lecture again. Thankful he forever keeps the discussion of innovation and efficiency alive and lively.

• Haha 1

Its 6am and i just read the Larussa comments about last night. He is going to lose the respect of his clubhouse with these comments and gaffs.. You don't make these mistakes in 2021 as a manager of a world series contender. That locker room and us fans deserve better than what we saw last night.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Blackout Friday said:

“I was confident he’d get the third out. When Ramos came up to bat and after that, I was confident he’d get the last out and the score would be 2-2. It was his inning,” La Russa said. “That’s my fault for not recognizing [he was tired] because I looked at it, ‘He walked the leadoff guy and gets two outs.’ At that point, I gotta say I was confident he’d get the third out.”

I actually don’t think he knew how many outs there were. I really don’t understand it. What is he looking at? How is he THIS bad?

He's in his late 70's and hasn't been in the game for a decade. Easy answer.

• Like 1

I get why people are disgusted.  Our best starter going against a lousy opponent.  I almost assume a win.  Managers have decisions of when to pull a pitcher when to pitch hit when to call for a sacrifice bunt, etc.  In 162 games these decisions are made by managers and pretty much overlooked when the team wins.  Managers look stupid when pitch hitters strikeout or the new reliever gets shelled.  My point is...every manager makes fans unhappy some of the time over a long season.  Hine sight always has 20/20 vision.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I get why people are disgusted.  Our best starter going against a lousy opponent.  I almost assume a win.  Managers have decisions of when to pull a pitcher when to pitch hit when to call for a sacrifice bunt, etc.  In 162 games these decisions are made by managers and pretty much overlooked when the team wins.  Managers look stupid when pitch hitters strikeout or the new reliever gets shelled.  My point is...every manager makes fans unhappy some of the time over a long season.  Hine sight always has 20/20 vision.

A lot of people wanted Giolito pulled before the 7th even started and pretty much everyone did once he gave a leadoff walk.  None of this was hindsight, it was simply watching a gassed out pitcher quickly losing it in a one-run game.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, poppysox said:

No, managers look stupid when they do stupid things.

When players are out in the right spot they will still often fail. Vaughn probably doesn’t hit a 3 run home run in the 8th. Foster or Bummer might well have been hit in the 7th. When you put guys into a position where they have their best shot to succeed and they don’t, people don’t blame the manager. 

People blame the manager when he says things about wanting a single with the tying run at home plate or when he doesn’t recognize that his starter gave everything he had, or even ask, and puts guys into positions to fail.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow...La Russa was hoping for a single when down by three with the tying run at the plate in the 8th?  He honestly may be more incompetent than Ricky which is saying a lot.

Even if he is looking for a single, Biily Hamilton and Leury batting lefty? 

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

A lot of people wanted Giolito pulled before the 7th even started and pretty much everyone did once he gave a leadoff walk.  None of this was hindsight, it was simply watching a gassed out pitcher quickly losing it in a one-run game.

Yes...I know.  In virtually every game the fans have these feelings.  Are your feelings ever wrong?  I have seen pitchers get out of jams frequently when I thought he should have been pulled.  I would bet that if you or I managed the WS...we would get roasted frequently for our instincts not being quite as good as we think.

How long has it been since we questioned how our previous manager used pitchers?  I think Bevington was the last one. The rest of the guys didn't make mistakes like this. I'm trying to remember Renteria or Robin leaving a guy in too long. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Even if he is looking for a single, Biily Hamilton and Leury batting lefty? 

Never doubt the slap factory!  Hamilton’s .247 career BA against RHP and Leury’s .240 make it pretty obvious they would have come through.  That’s almost a 50/50 chance if you add them up!

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yes...I know.  In virtually every game the fans have these feelings.  Are your feelings ever wrong?  I have seen pitchers get out of jams frequently when I thought he should have been pulled.  I would bet that if you or I managed the WS...we would get roasted frequently for our instincts not being quite as good as we think.

Sure, everyone’s instincts are wrong at times, but it’s pretty easy to tell a guy is gassed out while watching both his velocity & command quickly erode.  Given we had a well rested pen, there was zero reason to go to the bullpen in a tight game and maximize our chances of winning.  This is about as black & white as it gets and I’m not sure why you’re defending La Russa in this situation.  He 100% failed at his job last night.

29 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I thought he should have been out after the 6th, but even if you let him start the 7th there was a pretty bright red flashing light letting you know he was done after the first two batters of the 7th.

Went 0-2 on Castro, failed to put him away with the next 6 pitches and he walked.

Went 0-2 on Baddoo, took 7 more pitches to get him out.

That's a pitcher who has nothing left in the tank. Doesn't matter that he's your ace. Doesn't matter that he's thrown more pitches before.

No excuse, especially since you're only asking the bullpen to get 8 outs after a day off.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sure, everyone’s instincts are wrong at times, but it’s pretty easy to tell a guy is gassed out while watching both his velocity & command quickly erode.  Given we had a well rested pen, there was zero reason to go to the bullpen in a tight game and maximize our chances of winning.  This is about as black & white as it gets and I’m not sure why you’re defending La Russa in this situation.  He 100% failed at his job last night.

We all know that we lost the game last night.  I am defending the position of "the manager" being one that is easily second-guessed.  

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

We all know that we lost the game last night.  I am defending the position of "the manager" being one that is easily second-guessed.  

I get where you're coming from, but there is a difference between a manager making a reasonable decision that backfires and the manager being the only one among the 8,000 in attendance and the million watching on TV that doesn't know the pitcher is done.

How long has it been since we questioned how our previous manager used pitchers?  I think Bevington was the last one. The rest of the guys didn't make mistakes like this. I'm trying to remember Renteria or Robin leaving a guy in too long. 

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

In some cases yes but last night was ridiculous, and he didn't even know how many outs there were. It was a true clownshow. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, poppysox said:

No, you’re defending the manager as a position that can never be second guessed.