The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

For all we know Katz or Cairo said something and TLR ignored it.  That seems just as likely to me as no one saying anything at all.  None of us really have any idea what communication did or didnt happen amongst the staff, but ultimately it is on the manager to make the call.  The mounting evidence that Gio was running out of gas was pretty apparent to fans watching, so I don't know how it wasn't obvious to the staff in the dugout. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Hey so why the fuck is Jake Lamb on this roster? Cause he’s a lefty? 

Left handed and a past connection to TLR (?).  Plays a passable 3B, though I haven't seen enough of his D to know if he is more or less useful than Mendick.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Dominkk I see you do this all the time, and I love your enjoyment of metrics, but this is just not how they were meant to be used.

The projectability of 47 ab's (the total amount Vaughn has) using his current statistics has an R value still well south of .5 (sitting around .32-.42 depending on which stat you're looking at). That means even his entire sample still isn't yet a great indicator of what he's going to be as a hitter in his next AB or his next 100 AB's. By taking the sample down even smaller, to being L/R splits, you are dropping the R value down to .25-.32 depending on the metric you are looking at. The only thing that sees an R value near to past .5 over 50 AB's are K/BB metrics, and even then it just creeps over. It is typically the fastest to normalize.

There is no need to take a small sample and make it smaller and start drawing conclusions on what Vaughn can and can't do. Is it possible he has been more comfortable vs lefties than righties this year? Sure. Is it predictable to the point of making a decision based on it? No.

It is not just the stats. I do coach hitters myself and Vaughn is pulling off the outside pitches and whiffing at a very high rate on them. 

I Already said it halfway through spring  training before even seeing the stats that vaughn has a big hole in his swing on the outer part of the plate. 

That doesn't mean it can't be fixed but right now it is a clear weakness in his profile that righties with good command can abuse and if he gets consistent playing time against righties he will either adjust to it or get exposed. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Expecting a professional athlete and competitor to go out of his way to find his coach and say I'm through in just not a reasonable expectation imo. 

By asking as a coach, you give him a way out. If you never talk to a professional pitcher I'd bet the majority of them would just keep pitching until he's told not too. 150,pitches be damned.

Expecting him to do what’s best for the team isn’t reasonable? Okay. Then let’s go to second best option IMO.

The pitching coach asks the pitcher how he is feeling. The team is batting and that seems like a good time for the pitching coach to be talking with the only player he has in the game. 

I thought this is a team sport with everyone trying to win ball games. Instead we have players not being truthful hurting the team in the process ( which we should expect). Coaches minding their own business. And the manager is suppose to make good decisions with bad data. Good thing baseball teams are monopolies because if they tried to run any other business that way they would lose their asses.

And if this is how TLR is running his dugout he should be fired. 

16 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

If Katz said nothing he is to blame but we don't know if he didn't say anything. 

Maybe he said something and was shot down by tlr

Not from the post game interviews. 

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

While many are unhappy with how TL left Gio in the game the other day...I am surprised that Cairo and Katz go unmentioned.  They certainly have input into these matters.

Doesn’t the buck stop at the manager? It’s the reason he makes more than anyone else, right? 

If they Cairo and Katz DID offer input and were ignored, it’s an even bigger red flag for TLR.

If they didn’t....why didn’t the HOF Baseball mind Tony La Russa know better than them? Isn’t that why he was brought in? 

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Not from the post game interviews. 

Even if Katz told TLR to pull Giolito, he wouldn't confess to it in the post game. Katz isn't going to big time his manager like that...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

Doesn’t the buck stop at the manager? It’s the reason he makes more than anyone else, right? 

If they Cairo and Katz DID offer input and were ignored, it’s an even bigger red flag for TLR.

If they didn’t....why didn’t the HOF Baseball mind Tony La Russa know better than them? Isn’t that why he was brought in? 

His handling with the BP and SP indicates to me that ‘ol Duncan did all the heavy lifting for him. 

22 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Expecting him to do what’s best for the team isn’t reasonable? Okay. Then let’s go to second best option IMO.

The pitching coach asks the pitcher how he is feeling. The team is batting and that seems like a good time for the pitching coach to be talking with the only player he has in the game. 

I thought this is a team sport with everyone trying to win ball games. Instead we have players not being truthful hurting the team in the process ( which we should expect). Coaches minding their own business. And the manager is suppose to make good decisions with bad data. Good thing baseball teams are monopolies because if they tried to run any other business that way they would lose their asses.

And if this is how TLR is running his dugout he should be fired. 

Lol why is it everyone's job but for the one in charge? 

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Even if Katz told TLR to pull Giolito, he wouldn't confess to it in the post game. Katz isn't going to big time his manager like that...

Gio told the press he was gassed going into the 7th. The press later told TLR what Gio said and Tony said that was the first he knew. To TLR’s eye Gio was looking good. Which based on the box score he was. 

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol why is it everyone's job but for the one in charge? 

That’s not what I’m saying. I even wrote the buck stops with him. But why ignore that players aren’t being honest? Read the last line again. He should be fired. Allow me to better explain that. It means he’s responsible and it’s his job and he’s failing at that.

Does Gio hiding he’s gassed help the team?

Just now, Texsox said:

That’s not what I’m saying. I even wrote the buck stops with him. But why ignore that players aren’t being honest? 

When is a pitcher going to admit he is gassed though? Hell, it's hard for these guys to admit when their elbows hurt while pitching. 

34 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Left handed and a past connection to TLR (?).  Plays a passable 3B, though I haven't seen enough of his D to know if he is more or less useful than Mendick.

Apparently he’s a LF.

Just now, Texsox said:

That’s not what I’m saying. I even wrote the buck stops with him. But why ignore that players aren’t being honest? 

No but players are Machos, they don't want to look soft. 

It can be bad for the team but you want pitchers with a give me the ball and let me throw all the time mentality and it is on the manager and pitching coach to protect him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

When is a pitcher going to admit he is gassed though? Hell, it's hard for these guys to admit when their elbows hurt while pitching. 

Does that help the team? 

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

My point was simply that I'm surprised that Cairo & Katz don't seem to get much flack from this forum while many people think TL has forgotten what a baseball looks like.  There is no reason to have a bench coach if not to whisper in the manager's ear of situations requiring his attention.  I am sure Katz is watching every pitch with knowledgeable eyes.  If they were warning TL of this impending doom...shame on TL.  If not...they share some of the blame.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Gio told the press he was gassed going into the 7th. The press later told TLR what Gio said and Tony said that was the first he knew. To TLR’s eye Gio was looking good. Which based on the box score he was. 

I don't know if you watched the 6th or 7th of that game, but Gio wasn't looking great at the end of the 6th.  He shouldn't have been left in to allow all of the damage in the 7th.

I believe it is everyone’s responsibility to help the team win with ultimately it stopping at the manager’s feet. If he can’t get everyone to pull together to win then he needs to be fired. That means to me that Gio has to tell someone other than the press after the game and Katz has to be asking and advising. If that isn’t happening we have the wrong manager. 

TLR ain’t changing. These asinine decisions are him clutching to his “old winning ways” and he doesn’t give a shit what anybody including his FO think. This team will have to win in spite of him and that’s damn tragic. Who woulda thought the manager would be having a monster effect by simply handicapping his own team by playing shitty fuckin players consistently

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, poppysox said:

My point was simply that I'm surprised that Cairo & Katz don't seem to get much flack from this forum while many people think TL has forgotten what a baseball looks like.  There is no reason to have a bench coach if not to whisper in the manager's ear of situations requiring his attention.  I am sure Katz is watching every pitch with knowledgeable eyes.  If they were warning TL of this impending doom...shame on TL.  If not...they share some of the blame.

So obviously we don’t know if those whispers are happening. So you can keep asking the question, but you know there is no way we find that out. 

What we do know is Tony LaRussa is the manager, and was paid quite a lot of money to do so. He was also selected over many other quality candidates, apparently because of his vast amount of experience. Yet here you are, asking about Ethan Katz and Miguel Cairo. 

As Hawk would say.....STRETCH!

• Fire 2

8 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

TLR ain’t changing. These asinine decisions are him clutching to his “old winning ways” and he doesn’t give a shit what anybody including his FO think. This team will have to win in spite of him and that’s damn tragic. Who woulda thought the manager would be having a monster effect by simply handicapping his own team by playing shitty fuckin players consistently

It’s really the fault of Katz and Cairo, because they aren’t whispering loud enough to Tony (that tends to happen when you hit 76, can’t really blame TLR on that one)

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

So obviously we don’t know if those whispers are happening. So you can keep asking the question, but you know there is no way we find that out. 

What we do know is Tony LaRussa is the manager, and was paid quite a lot of money to do so. He was also selected over many other quality candidates, apparently because of his vast amount of experience. Yet here you are, asking about Ethan Katz and Miguel Cairo. 

As Hawk would say.....STRETCH!

Hawk was right to kick him to the curb. The game has passed this drunk fuck by. JR sticking it to the fans after we sat through the rebuild.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1