The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

2 hours ago, beautox said:

Hawk was right to kick him to the curb. The game has passed this drunk fuck by. JR sticking it to the fans after we sat through the rebuild.

Seems we are somewhat relaxing our SoxTalk “attacks on TLR” guidelines already, lol.  Thanks for testing the boundaries of what is still considered as fair play...

Pinch running for Lamb in the 4th inning to make sure they get that 7th run....hall of fame caliber there.  I take back 5% of the bad things I said about LaRussa.  Ok, maybe 3%.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

How is it managed at Padres Talk?

I would imagine they’re a bit happier with Jayce Tingler taking down the Dodgers in a seven game series against Buehler, Kershaw, Bauer (twice) and finally May, who arguably has the best stuff on the LA staff?

I haven't been watching this thread, but I find the endless bitching about TLR to be mostly tiresome, shortsighted, overblown, and off the mark. 

Do I think TLR's managing has been flawless? No.

Do I want to see Leury Garcia playing every day?  No.

Do I get frustrated by all the early season bullpen meltdowns? Yes

Would I make different choices if I were the manager? Yes. 

Nonetheless, I remain convinced that Tony LaRussa knows a lot more about baseball than every one of the commenters on here. I also know that baseball is a long season, and sometimes decisions that seem wrong in the short term, are not necessarily wrong in the long term.  I also know that managers only do so much.  They don't actually pitch or hit the baseball, and most of the Sox losses have come because the players themselves have failed to match up to their expected levels of performance. 

So to go on and on about one game where TLR left in Giolito too long and later admitted to his mistake, as he did in an earlier game when he left Matt Foster out to get roasted is what I find tiresome, shortsighted, overblown, and off the mark. 

Look at TLR's 1983 club. They were only 40-37 at the break. They went on to win 99 games by going 59-24 after the ASB. 

The reason I bring that up is that sometimes a ballclub needs a bit of time to find its groove. I think this team, with so many young developing players, fits that profile. 

The 2005 Sox team that also won 99 games was quite different. They were front runners and came strong out of the gate, held on against a furious Cleveland rally in August-September, and then caught a final wind with a 16-1 finish through the World Series. 

Are the Sox going to win this Division? Yes. 

Nothing TLR or the players have done up to this point is going to prevent the Sox from reaching that initial goal. 

At that point, you can start fretting about in-game decisions with playoff games at a high premium. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, VAfan said:

I haven't been watching this thread, but I find the endless bitching about TLR to be mostly tiresome, shortsighted, overblown, and off the mark. 

Nonetheless, I remain convinced that Tony LaRussa knows a lot more about baseball than every one of the commenters on here. I also know that baseball is a long season, and sometimes decisions that seem wrong in the short term, are not necessarily wrong in the long term.  I also know that managers only do so much.  They don't actually pitch or hit the baseball, and most of the Sox losses have come because the players themselves have failed to match up to their expected levels of performance. 

So to go on and on about one game where TLR left in Giolito too long and later admitted to his mistake, as he did in an earlier game when he left Matt Foster out to get roasted is what I find tiresome, shortsighted, overblown, and off the mark. 

Look at TLR's 1983 club. They were only 40-37 at the break. They went on to win 99 games by going 59-24 after the ASB. 

The reason I bring that up is that sometimes a ballclub needs a bit of time to find its groove. I think this team, with so many young developing players, fits that profile. 

The 2005 Sox team that also won 99 games was quite different. They were front runners and came strong out of the gate, held on against a furious Cleveland rally in August-September, and then caught a final wind with a 16-1 finish through the World Series. 

Nothing TLR or the players have done up to this point is going to prevent the Sox from reaching that initial goal. 

At that point, you can start fretting about in-game decisions with playoff games at a high premium. 

nah bro.. he doesn't have a fucking clue.

We could win anyway despite... but its not shortsighted over overblown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, VAfan said:

The beauty is right in front of us and people don’t even see it - not even people with beaut in their username. 

5 hours ago, wegner said:

Pinch running for Lamb in the 4th inning to make sure they get that 7th run....hall of fame caliber there.  I take back 5% of the bad things I said about LaRussa.  Ok, maybe 3%.

Getting the club ready to play: A

Tactical decisions in game: F

Overall grade: C

Better than Rickie.  The soft bias of low expectations.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Getting the club ready to play: A

Tactical decisions in game: F

Overall grade: C

Better than Rickie.  The soft bias of low expectations.

Can't disagree with any of that.

I was happy when they fired him the first time.  Ricky had to go after the end of last season.  I was perplexed by the hire but came around to it when I saw the staff he put around him.  His in game decisions have been subpar to say the least and quite frankly his post game interviews where he always looks like he needs a nap are embarrassing.  But in the end all that matters is where they are at the end of the season.  The end of last season showed how important a manager can be.  I hope LaRussa gets them on the right track and lets the talent that is there take over.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, wegner said:

frankly his post game interviews where he always looks like he needs a nap are embarrassing. 

It is too bad that, unlike other countries where elders are revered, people in this country  find older people embarrassing and fail to take advantage of their education and life experience for their own benefit.

9 hours ago, wegner said:

Bennetti called the move into question by asking a rhetorical question about the propriety of that move.  Ham then scored from 1st on a double. Lamb would either have been tagged out or not scored.  Regardless the move was a reasonable one... some  reasons including the desire to possibly stay out of a double play with a fast runner at first base and for defense the rest of the game.   Bennetti never admitted he was wrong.  OK he questioned it but he was wrong and that was not the first time Benetti has done that.  I wonder if JR is picking up on the fact that Bennetti has been injecting doubt about LaRussa's legitimate in-game decision making into the broadcast, and doing so with impunity to this point.  I will try to advise.

Interesting comments made by Ozzie Guillen in support of TLaR and against Hinch on the latest edition of Hangin' with the Hurt.

8 hours ago, VAfan said:

Excellent post.  Not what many here want to hear...but true.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, tray said:

It is too bad that, unlike other countries where elders are revered, people in this country  find older people embarrassing and fail to take advantage of their education and life experience for their own benefit.

Bennetti called the move into question by asking a rhetorical question about the propriety of that move.  Ham then scored from 1st on a double. Lamb would either have been tagged out or not scored.  Regardless the move was a reasonable one... some  reasons including the desire to possibly stay out of a double play with a fast runner at first base and for defense the rest of the game.   Bennetti never admitted he was wrong.  OK he questioned it but he was wrong and that was not the first time Benetti has done that.  I wonder if JR is picking up on the fact that Bennetti has been injecting doubt about LaRussa's legitimate in-game decision making into the broadcast, and doing so with impunity to this point.  I will try to advise.

Interesting comments made by Ozzie Guillen in support of TLaR and against Hinch on the latest edition of Hangin' with the Hurt.

Tony is one of those managers who wants all his players feeling to be part of the team and ready when called on.  Probably a smart long view but not popular with the fan who want the starters in at all times.

13 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Tony is one of those managers who wants all his players feeling to be part of the team and ready when called on.  Probably a smart long view but not popular with the fan who want the starters in at all times.

Tony La Russa's baseball IQ is so ridiculously high, most of us simply can't understand the moves he is making. He is truly a baseball savant. 300 IQ. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Tony La Russa's baseball IQ is so ridiculously high, most of us simply can't understand the moves he is making. He is truly a baseball savant. 300 IQ. 

Good to see you've come around.

16 hours ago, wegner said:

This move made no sense. Lamb is not great, but at least he has some power. Hamilton came up with the bases loaded and hit a weak grounder to short. He shouldn't be in the game until the late innings if then. This game was not that close. He should have stayed on the bench until the ninth if coming into the game at all.

8 hours ago, tray said:

You really want to go there Tray lol? about other countries and their moral high regard for the treatment of human life? 

I'd be willing to be some of those same countries you find endearing have some of  the worst overall human rights issues in the world...

nothing against elderly people... but most people are long retired by age 76 - let alone in one of the most high pressure jobs in the world.  That's not even me saying Tony's problem is his age....but to act like that suggestion is beyond reason is silly.

If we won the series - make no mistake it would be the oldest coach in the history of professional sports to do so.. by a pretty good margin.

Edited by harkness99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1