The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

1 hour ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Passan is a hack-lib who is taking a personal chance at taking down TLR.   

Maybe idiots will believe that, I'll choose to believe TLR is a bad manager.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SoxFanForever said:

He definitely has a hack-lib vigilante agenda to undermine Tony and he is not just reporting what he is hearing from people in the clubhouse. 😄

It’s hilarious you think calling someone a lib is an insult on a message board of a team that is located smack dab in the middle of one of the most liberal collections of districts in all the land.

president-precinct-map-thumb.jpg

Edited by Vulture
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Vulture said:

It’s hilarious you think calling someone a lib is an insult on a message board of a team that is located smack dab in the middle of one of the most liberal collections of districts in all the land.

Johnson County Kansas is the utter complete antithesis of liberal....he lives in Shawnee Mission.   It's basically like Orange County on steroids. 

11 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Might want to check your sarcasm radar.  I was mocking the guy I quote tweeted who said that Passan was a lib hack for mentioning the waning respect for Tony in the clubhouse.  Relax, you don't need to show me the political heat map.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackout Friday said:

Anyone find it funny how TLR said he’s watching the games and not sleeping in the dugout? The fact he had to reassure the media and fanbase of this fact is...not good.  

He actually said that?  Oof.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoxFanForever said:

He actually said that?  Oof.

I was paraphrasing. Here is the quote:

I did look at it, and I was paying attention during the game,” La Russa said. “I want you to understand when it's over, we didn't make a mistake or anything because I was falling asleep or anything.

https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/sports/chicago-white-sox/tony-la-russa-defend-process-white-sox-took-choosing-ride-lucas-giolito

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Can we all hope Tony decides to retire mid season because he realizes he is too old and tired for this 

He only needs 21 more wins to do what he primarily came here to do, can get this before the solstice and retire. Jerry's paying Ricky, so they can bring him back to finish the season, nearly all of the players would prefer him anyway.

Didn't see Tony beating Ricky's winning percentage this year before the two injuries (35-25 .583), though thought Tony would outperform his own personal White Sox managing winning percentage (.506 entering the season). 

Rank Name Wins Losses Ties Pct. Pennants/
WS Won
1 Connie Mackdagger 3,731 3,948 76 .486 9/5
2 John McGrawdagger 2,763 1,948 58 .586 10/3
3 Tony La Russa*dagger 2,743 2,377 4 .536 6/3

It's been a sad start, but if it means a fresh modern manager and healthy roster to start 2022, it will be worth it. Thought this was a development year coming in with all of the younger hitters (Madrigal, Robert, Eloy) and pitchers (Kopech, Cease, Crochet) working to play their first full season.

7 hours ago, SoxFanForever said:

He definitely has a hack-lib vigilante agenda to undermine Tony and he is not just reporting what he is hearing from people in the clubhouse. 😄

This is unequivocally false. The rumblings are real. That said - I don’t see JR firing him, so either TLR resigns or he will be here. 

I also think some in fo would want to leak info like this too - those who want their own guy / way. 

Above is from someone who was willing not to jump to conclusions. In general - TLR has been below average this year. Worse manager ever, no, but far from good and not average. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Passan is a hack-lib who is taking a personal chance at taking down TLR.   

Must suck to somersault and bend your back like that. Maybe another double DUI brother to brother? Wow.

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is unequivocally false. The rumblings are real. That said - I don’t see JR firing him, so either TLR resigns or he will be here. 

I also think some in fo would want to leak info like this too - those who want their own guy / way. 

Above is from someone who was willing not to jump to conclusions. In general - TLR has been below average this year. Worse manager ever, no, but far from good and not average. 

6 minutes ago, Spicygar said:

Must suck to somersault and bend your back like that. Maybe another double DUI brother to brother? Wow.

I was being sarcastic guys.  I like Passan's work quite a bit and think Tony is a bum.  You need to read the post in the context of the thread where I already clarified this lol.

Edited by SoxFanForever
Edit

2 minutes ago, SoxFanForever said:

I was being sarcastic guys.  I like Passan's work quite a bit and think Tony is a bum.  You need to read the post in the context of the thread where I already clarified this lol.

Gotcha. 

22 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He only needs 21 more wins to do what he primarily came here to do, can get this before the solstice and retire. Jerry's paying Ricky, so they can bring him back to finish the season, nearly all of the players would prefer him anyway.

Didn't see Tony beating Ricky's winning percentage this year before the two injuries (35-25 .583), though thought Tony would outperform his own personal White Sox managing winning percentage (.506 entering the season). 

WS Won

It's been a sad start, but if it means a fresh modern manager and healthy roster to start 2022, it will be worth it. Thought this was a development year coming in with all of the younger hitters (Madrigal, Robert, Eloy) and pitchers (Kopech, Cease, Crochet) working to play their first full season.

Why would Renteria even want to return under those circumstances?

Screw you, would be his response...although you did get the sense he genuinely cared for his players, fellow coaches, etc.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why would Renteria even want to return under those circumstances?

Screw you, would be his response...although you did get the sense he genuinely cared for his players, fellow coaches, etc.

I said that more as an aside, doubt he would be legally even obligated to return to collect the rest of his salary.

The two reasons I could think of if this was a serious proposition is what you mentioned regarding his personal stake in the players who admirably developed and didn't get enough credit for (and also the culture which appears to be much stronger across most players (screw you Keuchel) than Tony's, based on recent reports. The other reason is if Ricky was interested in working again for another team, this willingness to return would likely be highly regarded by prospective teams, being a true professional who went above and beyond even with this organization.

Would love to be listening on the phone call if Jerry ordered Hahn to call Ricky to beg for his return, to save Jerry $1-2M.

30 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I said that more as an aside, doubt he would be legally even obligated to return to collect the rest of his salary.

The two reasons I could think of if this was a serious proposition is what you mentioned regarding his personal stake in the players who admirably developed and didn't get enough credit for (and also the culture which appears to be much stronger across most players (screw you Keuchel) than Tony's, based on recent reports. The other reason is if Ricky was interested in working again for another team, this willingness to return would likely be highly regarded by prospective teams, being a true professional who went above and beyond even with this organization.

Would love to be listening on the phone call if Jerry ordered Hahn to call Ricky to beg for his return, to save Jerry $1-2M.

Basically to prove both the Cubs and White Sox front offices wrong... and Maddon/TLR to a lesser extent.  Three HoFers in Epstein, TLR and probably Joe when all is said and done because of 2016 and overachieving/modernization of game with Rays.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

LOL! This idea cracks me up. It sounds like such a White Sox/Jerry Reinsdorf-type scenario. 

Amid a season plagued by controversy and injuries, Tony La Russa has announced that he will be stepping down from his position as manager of the White Sox. 

In what is speculated to be an effort to limit the team's payroll, White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf stated that the team will not be adding a new manager for the remainder of the year. Instead, previous manager Rick Renteria will be returning as the active manager. "There's a provision in Ricky's contract stating that if he is under salary for the managerial position, and the position is vacant, he must report as the active manager if requested by the team. If he declines, his salary will be forfeited," Reinsdorf explained. "It's a very common provision in the team's contracts."

According to the White Sox, Renteria has 5 days to report to the team, or else his salary will be forfeited. Renteria has not yet released a statement regarding the situation.

Edited by ron883
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

WS Won

It's been a sad start

It’s a 15-12 start. You go 15-12 6 times, you end up 90-72. 

And wins won’t be the only category TLR passes John McGraw in this year - look far right. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Blackout Friday said:

Anyone find it funny how TLR said he’s watching the games and not sleeping in the dugout? The fact he had to reassure the media and fanbase of this fact is...not good.  

I think TLR being in charge makes it more likely that the Sox make a win-now trade. This team is set up nicely for the next 3-4 years, but TLR is very unlikely to be here that long and is probably putting a lot of pressure on JR to take on salary to make that deal.

Rosenthal has a more balanced and reasoned story on this in The Athletic for those who have subscriptions.  Still critical of TLR for the obvious stuff, and discusses player dissension, but includes information obtained from coaches and more players than Passan's unsourced and unverified crap.

Rosenthal: Tony La Russa, under scrutiny, justified some of his critics' skepticism in April – The Athletic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1