The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, Superstar Lamar said:

I couldn't watch the game.  Did Hendrick's running have any impact on the outcome?

Not directly, but having him out there really hamstrings your options with Leury and Hamilton coming up. 

Just now, Superstar Lamar said:

I couldn't watch the game.  Did Hendrick's running have any impact on the outcome?

IMO anybody at 3rd could've made home plate on the Leury CS, I watched that play a few times and an average runner scores there, just not enough time to go Home > 2B > Home, sox should've been up 1-0 on the CS

13 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

You are completely right about JR. I have always wondered and worried about JR as he aged and no one would be around to save him from himself. It's obvious that there was no sound reasoning behind the LaRussa hire. Too bad LaRussa won't make up some dumb excuse and resign. Too bad JR won't admit the mistake and have Hahn fire LaRussa.

That won’t happen.  The whole reason we are saddled with LaRussa today is because the joke of an owner bemoans the firing of LaRussa on his watch nearly 40 years ago as the “worst mistake” he’s made as owner (it actually ranks somewhere in the 11-20 range of disastrous mistakes he’s made over the past 40 years, but I digress).

Fact is I cannot see any scenario where Reinsdorf will have a second firing of LaRussa happen on his watch.  

We just have to hope LaRussa somehow pulls it together and is able to channel the younger version of himself that got him to the HOF.

3 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Seeing one of the highest paid relievers of ALL TIME taking a leadoff from second base SHOULD be enough for Hahn to go rogue.  One would think.  

Yeah that would be criminal negligence if GM’s had a court of law

4 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

I doubt it. The one thing that might have happened if a non pitcher was on 3rd is they might not have thrown through on Leury's steal attempt. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I doubt it. The one thing that might have happened if a non pitcher was on 3rd is they might not have thrown through on Leury's steal attempt. 

That there is a thing Dick as there are only 3 outs in the inning 

• Like 1

It's kind of hard to tell your 84 year old boss, the 76 year old manager he handpicked doesn't have it anymore.

I really think, at least I hope, that the reason KW and RH provided no blow back when JR mentioned his horrific idea, was they thought there was zero chance Tony would say yes .

12 minutes ago, mqr said:

You could definitely use a pinch runner but I'm not sure if you could sub abreu for hendriks and then use a pinch runner, I can't find anything definitive there. It just says "However, if the player in the batting order immediately preceding that half-inning’s leadoff hitter is the pitcher, the runner placed on second base at the start of that half-inning may be the player preceding the pitcher in the batting order" If you can, you'd use mendick and then bring Collins in to play first. 

This games outcome aside, Liam Hendriks absolutely cannot be running the bases two days after you already had a devastating roster hit. 

Right, I know all the bad things that happened but it really appears that someone here will not be able to provide a step by step analysis of options LaRussa had he chosen to do different things, like if he had decided Heuer, Bummer or someone else pitch the bottom of the inning, or making a different double switch and just do whatever you can to score a run even if it means Mendick in the OF and using up your whole bench to pitch run and pinch hit. Just too many damn rules to know how it could've been handled differently/optimally.  All we know is that how it was handled was really bad.

I mean hey he could've asked the umps for help right ? They'd have to answer his questions. What if I do this? What if I do that ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

9 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Well we had him on third base with hamilton batting. You can't expect Hendricks to know what to do in a safety squeeze scenario so id bet that was off the table due to who was running.

16 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Seeing one of the highest paid relievers of ALL TIME taking a leadoff from second base SHOULD be enough for Hahn to go rogue.  One would think.  

Sure Hahn goes rogue, fires LaRussa, JR fires  Hahn, hires LaRussa back. KW is the new GM yay another puppet GM. Can't stop the JR show. It has never been about Hahn, this is JR's toy.

19 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

IMO anybody at 3rd could've made home plate on the Leury CS, I watched that play a few times and an average runner scores there, just not enough time to go Home > 2B > Home, sox should've been up 1-0 on the CS

A lot more can happen than just a CS or runner making it home on a throw through. A runner on 3rd has to represent a credible threat to score on a double steal. If he is a credible threat, the catcher can either hold onto the ball or throw it. He can throw it to 3rd to attempt to pick off the runner on third after faking a throw to 2nd.  He can look like he's throwing it to 2nd and the pitcher cuts it off and hopes the runner on 3rd strays too far and then throws to 3rd to try and get him. The catcher could throw through to 2nd base but the infielder covering 2nd cuts the ball off well in front of the base to try to get the runner at home if he's actually running . Not anybody at 3rd scores there because the situation changes depending on who the runner is.

We are 16-13 and I feel like this seasons lost. I know it isn't, but it feels that way with the clubhouse drama and LaRussa.  This is the most confused I have ever felt as a fan, because its not the play on the field I am so irate about. Hamilton and Leury are in positions that they shouldn't be in. I find them frustrating but I understand their limitations, and I don't fault them for being so bad. 

I guess my issue comes with the overwhelming feeling that this organization is a mess. From the reports that our minor leaguers don't get the coaching and preparation needed, the front office talking shit about the fans on a consistent basis, the rumors about Jerry saying second place is where he wants to be, the indefensible hire of a 76 year old with legal and drinking issues who is out of touch with the game, the lack of spending, the lack of trust in analytics,  and the weekly embarrassing moments that happen on and off the field. Its all so tiresome. The injuries that have been plaguing this team havent helped either of course.

This year was supposed to be a real treat, and in a lot of ways it has. Mercedes, Kopech, Rodon, Cease, the list goes on. There is a lot to be happy about even with all the injuries, but the bad is just overwhelming and distracting. A new front office and ownership would really be a breath of fresh air. This TLR debacle is incredibly frustrating because we are stuck with it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

We are 16-13 and I feel like this seasons lost. I know it isn't, but it feels that way with the clubhouse drama and LaRussa.  This is the most confused I have ever felt as a fan, because its not the play on the field I am so irate about. Hamilton and Leury are in positions that they shouldn't be in. I find them frustrating but I understand their limitations, and I don't fault them for being so bad. 

I guess my issue comes with the overwhelming feeling that this organization is a mess. From the reports that our minor leaguers don't get the coaching and preparation needed, the front office talking shit about the fans on a consistent basis, the rumors about Jerry saying second place is where he wants to be, the indefensible hire of a 76 year old with legal and drinking issues who is out of touch with the game, the lack of spending, the lack of trust in analytics,  and the weekly embarrassing moments that happen on and off the field. Its all so tiresome. The injuries that have been plaguing this team havent helped either of course.

This year was supposed to be a real treat, and in a lot of ways it has. Mercedes, Kopech, Rodon, Cease, the list goes on. There is a lot to be happy about even with all the injuries, but the bad is just overwhelming and distracting. A new front office and ownership would really be a breath of fresh air. This TLR debacle is incredibly frustrating because we are stuck with it.

This is so well said. 16-13 isn't great, but it isn't awful and there is still plenty of time to make a run at the division. But everything else that goes with it doesn't provide a lot of hope. Of course the injuries are devastating, but it is hard to get the feeling that the team will know how to respond. Instead, there is the appearance that no one knows what they're doing. 

This is nothing new. There was the Hawk GM thing, the Terry Bevington thing, the Robin Ventura thing. It is one decision after another that doesn't make any sense. It all adds up to one World Series in 40 years and a rebuild that now seems to be in limbo. And you're right. We are stuck with it.

Also a little off topic....

Its sad when umps don’t even know the rules.

Also in the cardinals game, starting pitcher Kim for STL allowed first two on, so the cardinals sent JUST their interpreter out to the mound to discuss infield defense between Kim/teammates.

He then loaded the bases with no outs, and Maddux came out to the mound to talk to Kim and the umps allowed him too. Then Mets manager Rojas threw a fit and in the rules it says that a translator can not come on the field without a coach.

So then the umps went to replay, and since they already allowed Maddux to the mound before checking the rules they allowed Kim to stay in the game instead of pulling him out.

Edited by Nick_Schwam

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Not directly, but having him out there really hamstrings your options with Leury and Hamilton coming up. 

No, but it had an impact on LaRussa  Hater Derangement Syndrome. 

I liked the attempted steal.  no runner on 3rd base would  have gone home  unless the throw went into CF which it didn't.

Sox lost because this line-up could not hit, A key missed opportunity when Vaughn grounded into a double play and way too many strike-outs.

We just got beat by a better team today.

Edited by tray
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Lol...there really is no hope.  La Russa is going to do things his way and we simply have to pray we can somehow overcome them.  I still think we can win the division, but our margin for error will be incredibly slim with Eloy & Robert out and Tony actually costing us games on a somewhat regular basis.

9 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

A new front office and ownership would really be a breath of fresh air. This TLR debacle is incredibly frustrating because we are stuck with it.

Ridiculous.

• Fire 1

28 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Just think where the team would be if Dave Duncan didn't reject Tony's job offer to serve as his pitching coach. Or if Lucas didn't recruit Ethan Katz to come here.

13-16? 9-20? 

• Like 1