The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

17 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Len didn’t know the rule.

Jason didn’t know the rule.

Frank didn’t know the rule.

Ozzie didn’t know the rule.

Hall of Famers, World Series tacticians, and the greatest minds in baseball broadcasting didn’t know the rule either. You could split Tony or any of the above 4 people in half, and they’d be smarter than any twitter kook or poster here. 

But let’s give credit where credit’s due - 95% of the posters here and all the twitter kooks deserve an Oscar for pretending they knew the rule all along just so they could get their “Gotcha!” moment in the 24/7 Salem witch trials they’ve conducted since November.

Take your victory and bask in it for the next 48 hours - this is a Super Bowl-esque holiday for many. Tony got rulebook’d today. But when Tony takes over October, it’s game over. 

but no one here is saying they knew the rule.. so nice strawman

we just said Tony should know it... i dont give a fuck if any of those people you listed know the rule.  They aren't managing a team in 2021 - where literally every last bit of information is at your finger tips.

The "nobody" knows that excuse really doesn't work in any area of life - not when its that persons job to know.

Edited by harkness99
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

20 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Hall of Famers, World Series tacticians, and the greatest minds in baseball broadcasting didn’t know the rule either. You could split Tony or any of the above 4 people in half, and they’d be smarter than any twitter kook or poster here. 

But let’s give credit where credit’s due - 95% of the posters here and all the twitter kooks deserve an Oscar for pretending they knew the rule all along just so they could get their “Gotcha!” moment in the 24/7 Salem witch trials they’ve conducted since November.

Take your victory and bask in it for the next 48 hours - this is a Super Bowl-esque holiday for many. Tony got rulebook’d today. But when Tony takes over October, it’s game over. 

Go back to sleep?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Having had time to sit with what took place today....it’s somehow worse. You have the leader in the clubhouse playing without a full deck. You had the manager of the Reds come out and say today “Yeah, the league made it really clear what the new rule was going to be during Spring Training.” So the Sox are already taking the field at a disadvantage, as the guy calling the shots isn’t working off the same information the other dugout has. This is levels of incompetence I honestly couldn’t comprehend in the off-season. The cherry on top was LaRussa seemingly being OK “learning on the job” from the media, specifically from a 32-33 year old James Fegan. 

It’s an absolute embarrassment that this entire organization should be ashamed of. 

It’s really bad although the one positive is Tony is actually getting ridiculed for it all over the place.  That probably won’t change anything, but it puts a tiny amount of heat on him.

24 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

We’re not paid to know the rule and neither are the four people you mentioned, so who cares?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Relax Tony

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

30 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Cincinnati's manager did.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Does Lyle Mouton know it?

• Haha 1

LaRussa can't be blamed for the his offense not hitting, but he should have known the rule. In reality, Len, Jason, Frank and Ozzie should have known the rule also. Regardless, this is a symptom of other problems.

47 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

When Tony takes over October? Lol what does that even mean? 

I wasn't a part of spring training where managers were told clearly and multiple times about the rule so it would be hard to expect me to know it. You know?

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

I can understand why people are frustrated.   Stuff hasn't been going our way lately.  I frequently don't like the TL lineups, especially what I think of as the overuse of Leury & Hamilton.  Like you...I don't B**** about it much because I know for certain that TL has forgotten more than I ever knew about the game.   I think it's fair to feel Tony or his bench coach or Duncan's kid should know that rule...so egg on face...I get it.  I think a fair amount of blame should go to major league baseball for changing the game to the degree that many or all of the baseball insiders don't understand the rules.  We are mostly long-time baseball fans that are among the most loyal and knowledgeable.  At this point, the rules shouldn't be confusing to us or it's management.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

I can understand why people are frustrated.   Stuff hasn't been going our way lately.  I frequently don't like the TL lineups, especially what I think of as the overuse of Leury & Hamilton.  Like you...I don't B**** about it much because I know for certain that TL has forgotten more than I ever knew about the game.   I think it's fair to feel Tony or his bench coach or Duncan's kid should know that rule...so egg on face...I get it.  I think a fair amount of blame should go to major league baseball for changing the game to the degree that many or all of the baseball insiders don't understand the rules.  We are mostly long-time baseball fans that are among the most loyal and knowledgeable.  At this point, the rules shouldn't be confusing to us or it's management.

The problem with Larussa is he may have forgotten more than you ever knew but he also has forgotten it all. 

The same larussa jock sniffers will blame everyone but Tony. Now it's MLB fault larussa doesn't know rules they told manager in spring lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

La Russa is doing a poor job, but a lot of the attacks are people like Dan Bernstein who thinks everyone is a racist etc. I think that's the agenda of a lot of these people. These same people used to tell you that managers don't matter.....until now.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, spiderman said:

La Russa is doing a poor job, but a lot of the attacks are people like Dan Bernstein who thinks everyone is a racist etc. I think that's the agenda of a lot of these people. These same people used to tell you that managers don't matter.....until now.

That's sort of the point of all this. They really shouldn't matter too much. When Spring Training began, LaRussa could have had one of the easiest jobs in baseball. The lineup was set, the rotation was set, the bullpen was basically set. Now, things have gotten a lot more complicated because of injuries, there is no doubting that. 

People are always going to criticize a manager when he makes the wrong bullpen decision, or pitching to a guy instead of working around him, etc. That's part of the game, always will be. People will be on both sides of the argument.

What's not acceptable is what we saw today, and what we've already seen from LaRussa is a very short time. This is now the third tine where LaRussa has had to "apologize" to the fan base/media for a bad call. The Foster debacle and Giolito being out of gas were bad, but those were "gut" calls he got wrong. Today is a WHOLE new level. He didn't know a rule. The other manager did. Knowing the rules of the game you are managing seems like pretty basic stuff. And if it's "too confusing" for someone to keep with up with all the changes, maybe being an ML manager isn't for you. 

So I don't want to hear about people just picking on LaRussa because of his age, or his DUI's or whatever else. He's shown us, multiple times, that he is overmatched in 2021. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

I didn't know that rule, but you pay a manager and a coaching staff to do so, and they can be rightly criticized for not knowing this; especially when you fired a manager to hire a new one to "take the next step" or however we sold it.

Managers/coaches/leaders are there to give the team the best chance to win and to not screw it up. The fact that La Russa has basically had to apologize a number of times already this year is an issue. One could expect a few issues in terms of learning personnel and the bullpen, etc., but, again, he's being paid a lot of money to maximize our chances to win, and he sure wasn't forced into it. 

It's so incredibly disappointing that we had to watch all the crap since 2008 and endure a rebuild to see a team sabotage itself due to overthinking what it needed in leadership and under thinking what it needed in roster construction. I'm still going to watch, but not only do the fans that have stuck around through this deserve a better product to watch, guys like Tim and Abreu and others deserve better for leading the team through the rebuild. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, poppysox said:

It's embarrassing this is the defense some of the more "positive" minded fans are coming up with tonight. 

STOP COMPARING YOURSELF WITH A MAJOR LEAGUE MANAGER. In the same post, you say "I know for certain that LaRussa has forgotten more than I ever knew about the game." So by that account, fans and managers shouldn't be compared. Yet in your attempt to somehow defend LaRussa, you're blaming baseball for changing the rules? Even though the manager across the dugout knew what the rule was? Have you seen any other manager make that mistake this year? 

So I don't really think you do understand why fans are frustrated. LaRussa is sitting in the dugout making MILLIONS a year, and you're blaming MLB for Tony not being up on the rule changes? Really? 

• Like 3
  • Fire 3