The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

1 hour ago, Marqhead said:

You know what all those people have in common? None of them are currently managing a major league team. The manager of a Major League Baseball team better damn well know the rules and how to best apply his personnel based on them. 

Kind of like when there's a bridge collapse and we blame the City Council/Mayor's office or "concerned citizens/letters to the editor" and NOT the engineers who were actually in charge of the design and construction process in the first place.

Makes a lot of sense.

I mean, the average citizen is getting paid hundreds of thousands in consulting fees to provide insights to the Army Corps of Engineers, for example.

I can just see TLR as the villain in an old Scooby Doo episode.  "And I would have gotten away with it were it not for those meddling message board posters and pesky sportswriters."

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, spiderman said:

La Russa is doing a poor job, but a lot of the attacks are people like Dan Bernstein who thinks everyone is a racist etc. I think that's the agenda of a lot of these people. These same people used to tell you that managers don't matter.....until now.

LaRussa is a terrible manager and Bernstein is an asshole.  The two are not mutually exclusive.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

How delusional do you have to be to actually think your hot takes on a message board are as important as those that get paid to do it just because you're a "loyal and knowledgeable fan?"

Would love to see those Indians, A's and Rays message boards as they're constantly getting awarded imaginary titles for fWAR / payroll dollars allocated.  Kind of like those yearly Cubs' attendance title flags over the White Sox.

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The worst part was - it wasn’t even the worse decision he made in the inning. He made so many bad ones. 

Well, the worst part would have been getting Hendriks hurt (or maybe good to receive the insurance reimbursement?)

Joking.

But it was asinine to have a player whose best strategy in that situation be to pull a drag bunt down to 1st have that taken out of his arsenal because Hendriks was running.

There's just zero way in hell I wouldn't have had the bunt order on up there, even with two strikes.

Because a short flyball or groundball wasn't going to going to score him, nothing but a wild pitch or passed ball.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, harkness99 said:

i dont give a fuck if any of those people you listed know the rule.  They aren't managing a team in 2021 - where literally every last bit of information is at your finger tips.

The "nobody" knows that excuse really doesn't work in any area of life - not when its that persons job to know.

Accusing Tony ( who is also an attorney)  of being lax and not reading rules is pretty lame. 

What makes this false outrage  so transparent is that it didn't make a bit of difference in the game.

LaRussa critics gloss over the obvious in the pursuit of their little agenda -  face it, the Sox were beaten soundly by Gray who dominated them.

You can't win many games when you only get 2 hits over 10 innings.  If you could somehow have Casey Stengel, Billy, Martin, Sparky Anderson and Earl Weaver on the bench you are almost certainly going to lose every game like that and  it is obvious that the Sox are going to lose a lot more games if they don't score some runs.

Vaughn needs to start hitting the ball out of the park instead of striking out and hitting into double plays in key situations.  Not sure there is a better alternative  to him being out there until Engel gets back.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The worst part was - it wasn’t even the worse decision he made in the inning. He made so many bad ones. 

Correct. The steal was out of this world stupid. 

It's just a disaster man. And it sucks. Because there are SO many likable guys on this squad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, tray said:

Accusing Tony ( who is also an attorney)  of being lax and not reading rules is pretty lame. 

What makes this false outrage  so transparent is that it didn't make a bit of difference in the game.

LaRussa critics gloss over the obvious in the pursuit of their little agenda -  face it, the Sox were beaten soundly by Gray who dominated them.

You can't win many games when you only get 2 hits over 10 innings.  If you could somehow have Casey Stengel, Billy, Martin, Sparky Anderson and Earl Weaver on the bench you are almost certainly going to lose every game like that and  it is obvious that the Sox are going to lose a lot more games if they don't score some runs.

Vaughn needs to start hitting the ball out of the park instead of striking out and hitting into double plays in key situations.  Not sure there is a better alternative  to him being out there until Engel gets back.

Weird, you didn't answer my question from hours ago. I'll ask again. 

What is your reaction to finding out the White Sox’ 76 year old manager didn’t know the rules of Major League Baseball? Making decisions based on incorrect information? Learning the rules from media members post game? Has nothing to do with what the players did on the field today.

Answer those questions. 

• Thanks 2

"There's just zero way in hell I wouldn't have had the bunt order on up there, even with two strikes. "

You can make that call either way. The way the Sox hit into double plays (Like Vaughn did in a key situation in that game) taking a shot at stealing to stay out of the DP makes some sense, especially since Leury was hitting the ball on the ground in previous ABs,

8 minutes ago, tray said:

He quite literally said he didn't know the rule. So either you don't know what you are talking about, or you are accusing Tony of lying in his post game press conference. 

Which is it?

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, tray said:

"There's just zero way in hell I wouldn't have had the bunt order on up there, even with two strikes. "

You can make that call either way. The way the Sox hit into double plays (Like Vaughn did in a key situation in that game) taking a shot at stealing to stay out of the DP makes some sense, especially since Leury was hitting the ball on the ground in previous ABs,

Simply saying the top priority (besides scoring) was PROTECTING Liam Hendriks from getting injured scoring from third.

Can't remember a time where that ever happened with a pitcher for the White Sox on the basepaths...at least not since (much more expendable) Matt Albers scored for the Sox back in the day.

A drag bunt to 1st causes a throw home...and it's just as likely down the 3rd baseline...you'd have to bunt it closer to the mound, through the mound or butcher boy it (relying on the defense to make a mistake, which still puts Hendriks in jeopardy sliding in to home.)

And how often does Liam Hendriks practice sliding into the catcher for a close play at the plate?

You take chances like that, you end up with even more season-impacting injuries.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tray said:

I  think did make a difference in the game but you can't say it did or didn't make a difference because we don't have a crystal to look at all possible outcomes.

Let's say Tony made the right moves and the Sox got a run then they enter the bottom of the 10th leading 1-0. And instead of Hendricks, Bummer is in the game now. Bummer  doesn't give up any runs and the Sox win 1-0.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

What is your reaction to finding out the White Sox’ 76 year old manager didn’t know the rules of Major League Baseball? Making decisions based on incorrect information? Learning the rules from media members post game? Has nothing to do with what the players did on the field today.

Tony is an attorney and HOF Manager with multiple WS rings. He knows "the rules of major League baseball."

My reaction is that the new extra inning rule including its technical aspects should be scrapped in its entirety.

The focus should be on why this absurd change to the classic rules of baseball has been implemented and why the league has not really done much to promote  and explain these rules.  Let's see in the 10th  each team gets to start a guy on second with no outs, that has to be the last guy to make an out in the last inning, but if you double switch...  Ridiculous.

• Haha 2

Starting a player on second with no outs in the 10th makes no sense, and I believe it will be changed. There are other ways to shorten a tie game that do not involve fanciful logic like putting a ghost runner (like a guy who struck out in the 9th) on second base to start the 10th inning. That is absurd.  I don't care who you put on second.

Just now, tray said:

Tony is an attorney and HOF Manager with multiple WS rings. He knows "the rules of major League baseball."

My reaction is that the new extra inning rule including its technical aspects should be scrapped in its entirety.

The focus should be on why this absurd change to the classic rules of baseball has been implemented and why the league has not really done much to promote  and explain these rules.  Let's see in the 10th  each team gets to start a guy on second with no outs, that has to be the last guy to make an out in the last inning, but if you double switch...  Ridiculous.

Then you simply don't understand the topic we are discussing. Not only are the rules clear, not only did Tony LaRussa admit to not knowing them, but David Bell, the manager in the other dugout, made it clear he understood them and the efforts MLB made to make sure all managers knew the new rules. 

Your opinion of the changes are absolutely irrelevant. I have a baseline expectation that the manager in charge of the team I root for understands the rules of the game he is in charge of managing. I really don't think that's asking a lot. 

But good try. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tray said:

Why do you keep repeating this? It was wrong the first time you said it. It was wrong the second time, and it is wrong this time.

Screenshot_20210505-175722_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tray said:

So just because you don’t like the new rules (and neither do many of us...not the point), he shouldn’t learn them and you know manage his team to put them in the best position to win????? Should he just not learn them and say fug it. Tell me again what’s his job then? Oh and the opposing teams manager knew the rules and apparently others did also. When your new to driving a car, you blow a stop sign, and hit someone. Is a valid excuse that you didn’t learn what the stop sign ment? 

Just now, ShoeLessRob said:

So just because you don’t like the new rules (and neither do many of us...not the point), he shouldn’t learn them and you know manage his team to put them in the best position to win????? Should he just not learn them and say fug it. Tell me again what’s his job then? Oh and the opposing teams manager knew the rules and apparently others did also. When your new to driving a car, you blow a stop sign, and hit someone. Is a valid excuse that you didn’t learn what the stop sign ment? 

We're not even arguing opinion anymore....LaRussa ADMITTED HE DOESN'T KNOW THE RULES. What are we even debating here? 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

LaRussa is a terrible manager and Bernstein is an asshole.  The two are not mutually exclusive.

As a former B&B fan, I can't stand Bernstein now. He was an asshole then, but I found it kind of funny. Now he's an asshole and a self righteous, hardcore SJW. He's become insufferable.

• Like 1

Just now, ShoeLessRob said:

Your right. He’s gotta be trolling. 

It's insane. I know there are always a few contrarians, but again.....it's SO cut and dry in this case. 

• Haha 2

It didn't make any difference to the outcome of the game who was running.

Maybe Abreu collides at the plate and is out for the season if he runs. Good decision then?

This topic is all about trying to hang Tony on a fucking technicality about a new (foolhardy)  rule.

The same people who have hated Tony from the outset are steeped in false outrage about what amounted to absolutely NOTHING.

Get over it and move on to the next little outrage.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, tray said:

It didn't make any difference to the outcome of the game who was running.

Maybe Abreu collides at the plate and is out for the season if he runs. Good decision then?

This topic is all about trying to hang Tony on a fucking technicality about a new (foolhardy)  rule.

The same people who have hated Tony from the outset are steeped in false outrage about what amounted to absolutely NOTHING.

Get over it and move on to the next little outrage.

So your argument now boils down to "Drunk driving isn't a big deal if no one got hurt. No harm, no foul."

Ironic...