The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

4 minutes ago, tray said:

It didn't make any difference to the outcome of the game who was running.

Maybe Abreu collides at the plate and is out for the season if he runs. Good decision then?

This topic is all about trying to hang Tony on a fucking technicality about a new (foolhardy)  rule.

The same people who have hated Tony from the outset are steeped in false outrage about what amounted to absolutely NOTHING.

Get over it and move on to the next little outrage.

You are lucky, at his age, Tony's testicles probably aren't that heavy for you to carry around for him.  Forget false outrage, why are you cucking a man who literally just told the world he didn't know how to do his job?  Like it or not THAT is an important fact here, not your crusade to protect him like he is Brittany. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

5 minutes ago, tray said:

Maybe Abreu collides at the plate and is out for the season if he runs. Good decision then?

This topic is all about trying to hang Tony on a fucking technicality about a new (foolhardy)  rule.

The same people who have hated Tony from the outset are steeped in false outrage about what amounted to absolutely NOTHING.

“Foolhardy” or otherwise, it is a new rule, and by his own admission, the manager did not know it.  And it was this unpreparedness that caused him to make the wrong baseball decision in the 10th inning of a tied ballgame today.  UNACCEPTABLE!  Stop making excuses for the guy already.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tray said:

What makes this false outrage  so transparent is that it didn't make a bit of difference in the game.

I'd rather not have my closer running the bases before he has to go back out to the mound to try to win the game in the bottom of the inning.

Also, I'd rather have a position player rather than a pitcher running the bases in a crucial situation.

30 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's insane. I know there are always a few contrarians, but again.....it's SO cut and dry in this case. 

I can’t believe he actually send Leary. Wow. I kept thinking it just of been Leury - literally just terrible. 3 singlehanded terrible decisions in the 10th. 

That said - JR isn’t fanning him - the only thing that could happen is if JR and Tony talk and just reach a decision that it is time quietly retire - but that probably doesn’t happen until end of the season. 

I honestly think the rule violation was behind the stolen base and not loading bases in bottom part of frame to better position everything for force outs. 

Want to know what his bench coach was doing though - on the rule issue. Can’t tell if his coaches knew or if they were just questioning the Liam item. I also can’t tell if it was the coaches questioning or was it players too. 

6 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I haven't listened to him since the B&B days, and I thought he was an asshole back then.

I also haven't heard him in years but his shtick that always bugged me was when a fan would call in and use the word We when describing the Sox, Bulls, Bears whatever and he would mercilessly rip them because they were not part of that organization.  He came off as an insufferable prick then and I'm sure he still does now.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, tray said:

You haven't set the bar all that high in the past, but somehow you have come up well short of even that miniscule bar in this discussion. Bravo. 

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, wegner said:

I also haven't heard him in years but his shtick that always bugged me was when a fan would call in and use the word We when describing the Sox, Bulls, Bears whatever and he would mercilessly rip them because they were not part of that organization.  He came off as an insufferable prick then and I'm sure he still does now.

We have a guy that does that here. Maybe he is Bernstein. It's common to do that . It's shorter to type we than White Sox or Sox though I have tried to stop saying "we" as much.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, wegner said:

I tuned in recently and he mentioned that the Robert and Eloy injuries could be bad karma for hiring TLR. Dude is a grade A douche. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I can’t believe he actually send Leary. Wow. I kept thinking it just of been Leury - literally just terrible. 3 singlehanded terrible decisions in the 10th. 

That said - JR isn’t fanning him - the only thing that could happen is if JR and Tony talk and just reach a decision that it is time quietly retire - but that probably doesn’t happen until end of the season. 

I honestly think the rule violation was behind the stolen base and not loading bases in bottom part of frame to better position everything for force outs. 

Want to know what his bench coach was doing though - on the rule issue. Can’t tell if his coaches knew or if they were just questioning the Liam item. I also can’t tell if it was the coaches questioning or was it players too. 

One of our most knowledgeable posters said in the game thread to send Leury on the 1st pitch to Hamilton. No one said a word to him about it right after he said it nor later. I, myself knew Vaughn was due to be the runner on 2nd to start the 10th so I asked what should LaRussa do ? Does he pinchrun Mendick ? No one answered me . Not being used to watching NL baseball I completely forgot about the double switch just like Fegan admitted in his tweet .

But yea lots of bad baseball decisions. Could have done so many things different. Leury up with men on 1st and 2nd no outs. Could've had him try a sac bunt. Of course Leury looked like shit on previous bunt attempts in past games so LaRussa lets him swing away . But I think you still have to manage to get a run across.

Let's say Leury made a successful sac bunt, then 1st base is open with Hamilton up or someone to pinch hit like Collins,  big strong guy capable of hitting a sac fly also a big K guy but so is Hamilton. Do the Reds pitch to or IBB Collins?  Hope for the K  then walk the next guy to hope for a DP? Go for another K ? Who's up next Lamb ?

So so many different ways this could have played out but somehow every choice was the wrong one compounded by not knowing the rules. The 1st decision he made for Hendricks to be on 2nd was so Hendricks could pitch another inning but there wasn't really a need to have Hendricks pitch the next inning . Still had plenty of good arms left and a day off the next day. These new rules were designed to have games end quicker so burn your bench players if you have to. Pinch run or pinch hit and if you end up with Mendick in the OF so be it but 1 run was all important. Get the lead and use as many arms as you have left to try to preserve the lead in the bottom of the 10th.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I tuned in recently and he mentioned that the Robert and Eloy injuries could be bad karma for hiring TLR. Dude is a grade A douche. 

Ok Now I'm really starting to believe our one certain poster is Bernstein because now thats 2 examples that the poster has used about the use of "we" and now the karma thing.

• Haha 1

Non-practicing attorney Tony La Russa demonstrated all the time in Arizona that he doesn't do research or know rules. He tried to make trades that weren't legal per MLB rules and then traded for the wrong Luis Basabe, because he's too fucking lazy to do his goddamn research. 

The D-backs paid the price for his laziness for years. Now the Sox are going to pay the price when they could have had their pick of any single manager on the market, especially one who would bother to learn the rules of the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

TLR lost this game for the Sox in extras.  Running Hendricks by mistake, possibly winding him or hurting him. Sending Leury for a steal with Hendriks at 3rd who was not going To try to score and Hamilton at the plate unlikely to hit into a double play.  He could have also pinch hit for Hamilton who was horrid at the plate.  Didn’t even need to leave Hendriks in the game. Had other relievers available and would have had a faster runner at 2 nd and no chance for the blunder.  The game nowadays is just too fast for an old guy like TLR.  Made me remember when TLR left Foster in for a 7 run inning and left Giolito out to dry in another game.  This guy is costing the Sox too many games!

• Thanks 2

Folks on Jerry's payroll have turned on La Russa a month into the season.

Guess we can place Steve Stone in the anti-racist SJW Tony hater column. LOLz

Others still try to shift the blame from Tony to others, though not successfully.

Don't say we didn't warn you. 

Ode to the '79 Pirates!

ae41f43bb54dee151560896b9a975497.jpg

• Like 1

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/white-sox-tony-la-russas-220148252.html

Vinnie Duber ripping LaRussa... at least some aren't water carriers and obedient worshippers in the local and national media. 

If he can't handle the heat over May battles with the Reds, Royals, Twins and Indians, there's not much hope for an October refocusing or heck, reawakening. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tray said:

You're not even an attorney so nothing that you say has any credibility

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

Ron 883 misstates my post.  The hot take you refer to was about MLB making changes to the game such as the runner at 2nd crap.  I don't like tampering with a game that has withstood depression and World Wars.  No attempt was made to defend TL for his not knowing the rule.

• Like 1

Even the best managers will lose a game or two with bad decisions/actions/non-actions.  But when you have a manger who may or may not be conscious for most games and completely out of touch with how baseball is now played, the bad managing is magnified.  I keep thinking of Jimmy Dugan from A League of Their Own, lounging in the dugout scratching his nuts.  The bad news here is TLR isn't going to have an epiphany and become an engaged, present, good manager.  He'll be dozing and ball-scratching all season while his team goes out there and (hopefully) wins in spite of him.

• Like 1

I was in the the squint and accept camp and have been backing out of that camp and am now gone.

Three terrible managing decisions in that game in the 10th inning that was triggered by  poor umpiring in the bottom of the 9th.

The fact he continues to let Hamilton hit is baffling to me. Hit Collins and put Eaton in RF for a half inning or Mendick.

• Like 1

It's shocking that a AL manager wouldn't know about a rule that involves a situation when your pitcher makes the last out in a tie game. 

I'm not a current TLR fan,  but I'm not going to condemn him for this one. It's just one more reason baseball needs to make the DH universal or end these games.  Having one set of rules for AL ballparks and another for NL is ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

It's shocking that a AL manager wouldn't know about a rule that involves a situation when your pitcher makes the last out in a tie game. 

I'm not a current TLR fan,  but I'm not going to condemn him for this one. It's just one more reason baseball needs to make the DH universal or end these games.  Having one set of rules for AL ballparks and another for NL is ridiculous. 

Outside of that rule, his dugout questioned the double switch putting Hendriks at second and he blew them off. No matter what way you slice this he fucked up bad, and admitting not knowing the rule that could have helped him, that the opposing manager stated that the League made them all aware of, is incredibly indicting

• Fire 1

Well, if there's a positive from TLR's latest pants-crapping incident, its this:

Literally NO ONE is bitching about the $18MM man's now-negative fWAR, or that he lost the game. Like Ozzie did years ago, TLR's antics are taking the heat off his players.

13 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Outside of that rule, his dugout questioned the double switch putting Hendriks at second and he blew them off. No matter what way you slice this he fucked up bad, and admitting not knowing the rule that could have helped him, that the opposing manager stated that the League made them all aware of, is incredibly indicting

I was happy when they fired him the first time.  I did not like the hire this time but was convinced it would be OK because he was putting together a good staff to surround him.  If he is going to ignore that staff to prevent him from screw ups, that is a problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

One of the posts in the game thread says that the assistant coaches didn’t know that rule either, they just tried to point out that the double switch would have the pitcher running and Tony told them to shut it.

• Fire 1