The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

How many times this offseason did some of us express concern over the likelihood of having too many slappy, crappy hitters in the lineup due to likely injury issues?

Just about every plate appearance Hamilton got could have gone to Leury, Vaughn or Mendick, and most of Leury and Lamb's plate appearances could have gone to Mendick. Very poor roster and lineup decisions were made in reaction to the injuries.

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

SSHM: I don't want to  challenge your opinions but I was curious what you were referring to so I checked. Not something we should worry about I don't think. Tony is not kicking his dog when he gets home either.  FYI, I met Tony years ago and he seemed like a very knowledgeable, soft spoken, polite and humble man.

----------------

ST. LOUIS – Former Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa and his family have resigned from the Animal Rescue Foundation (ARF).

LaRussa, his wife, and his daughter co-founded the organization in California in 1991. Some employees are suing, claiming a harmful work environment.

LaRussa said the people running the non-profit group have failed to investigate those complaints. He said he resigned because he was dissatisfied with the internal turmoil.

An independent investigation last year led to action against some staffers but not those in leadership positions.

The LaRussa family’s statement left open the possibility that they would return if leadership changes are made.

https://fox2now.com/sports/tony-larussa-and-family-resign-from-their-non-profit-animal-rescue-foundation/

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

We all said this would happen when they went the cheap route and signed him. 

Agreed and if he continues these weak pathetic numbers, wouldn't it be prudent at some point to just cut him, or as they the baseball verbiage goes...put him on assignment. We are only paying him 7 million. Eaton's last 5 games are 0-16 with 11 K's. We have plenty of other choices and very easy to find a .214 BA in the lineup for right!. Plus he is a terrible fielder in right as well.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

From 1950 to 1967, the Yankees were the only AL team to make the playoffs back-to-back.

The Indians broke through in '54, Sox in '59, Twins in '65, Orioles in '66, Red Sox in '67. Of those, only the Orioles won.

I'm looking over streaks of two or more and a lot of franchises (28) have managed that including the Mariners,  Rockies,  Nationals, Diamondbacks, 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_franchise_postseason_streaks#Postseason_appearance_streaks

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

So let’s take a look at it with the idea that the manager the Sox wanted was not available or ready so they hired TLR as a bridge to who they want.  I think boiling this all down to “JR wanted to hire his friend” is like level 2-out-of-10 thinking.  

Since the window is obviously a decade or so...who is the guy?

What in the world are you talking about?  We all know you wanted to hire your buddy Tony.

21 minutes ago, tray said:

I have seen any number of occasions where a manager seeks clarification of a major league rule after a call by an umpire. Not knowing the technicalities or application (especially of a ridiculous new rule) was not a big deal, especially since it had no impact on the game and is a rare situation that will probably never present itself again while the absurd 10th inning ghost runner rule is still in place.   To unfamiliarity  with that "rule" was understandable and forgivable . Those who want to extract another pound of flesh from LaRussa, go ahead. Don't stop now boys.

Meanwhile, more self-flagellation by Sox fans after a tough loss. Woe-is-me, the Sox have been bad since before you were born.. OMG, you know, they could not compete with those Yankee dynasties, they lost to the Dodgers in '59 and were eliminated by the O's in  the '83 ALCS.   There are now 30 teams in mlb that are competing for a championship.  Sox Math that equates to one WS championship every 30 years. However, that is not  what to expect when you have teams like the Yankees and Dodgers. so maybe once in your lifetime should be what to expect, and we won in 2005, so probably sit back, strap it down and enjoy watching the games. Unless  you find that  b1tching incessantly about management and ownership is enjoyable or really want to see the Sox fail and the Cubs take over town. Then  keep grinding away.

tenor.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

38 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

One thing that this thread allowed me to do is actually keep track of games where Tony LaRussa did something specific that caused a blowup.

2-Apr Failing to make review time window, Leury starts opening day, no pinch hitter for him late.

4-Apr Bullpen usage - Bummer never used in close game

5-Apr Bullpen usage - Foster blows game, Hendricks warms but never comes in

*Several times could have PH for Leury or Hamilton, not done

7-Apr Bullpen usage - Foster comes in with Bummer and Hendricks needing work, gives up 7 runs. 

11-Apr Couple of poorly thought out bunts, pinch running for Mercedes early left no backup Ofs

13-Apr Williams hits 5th, Lamb hits 7th, Mercedes benched against Bieber. Hendricks not used in the 10th.

27-Apr Attempts to kill Lucas Giolito. "We were looking for a single there." Insists postgame that he was awake.

5-May Messes up double-switch, runs team out of 10th inning, rulebook read to him by reporter.

Bolded are games where managerial decisions are particularly troublesome. Numerous other games - Vaughn, Madrigal being benched for Leury, Hamilton, and Williams. Lack of offdays for Abreu, Eaton.

There's at least 8 games so far this season where the manager has been a contributing factor in a loss, without counting guys that he chose to bench on the list more than once. Changing to a competent manager doesn't turn all of those into wins - maybe a better lineup still loses to Bieber as Cleveland's bullpen is outpitching us, maybe someone still gives up runs out of the bullpen, etc. But there's an awful lot of high-leverage events so far this season where people have been saying "the Manager contributed to a bad thing happening". 

Great post Balta!

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm looking over streaks of two or more and a lot of franchises have managed that. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_franchise_postseason_streaks#Postseason_appearance_streaks

Since the advent of the wild card, every AL team except the Sox has had at least one occurrence of making the playoffs in consecutive years.

3 minutes ago, tray said:

SSHM: I don't want to  challenge your opinions but I was curious what you were referring to so I checked. Not something we should worry about I don't think. Tony is not kicking his dog when he gets home either.  FYI, I met Tony years ago and he seemed like a very knowledgeable, soft spoken, polite and humble man.

----------------

ST. LOUIS – Former Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa and his family have resigned from the Animal Rescue Foundation (ARF).

LaRussa, his wife, and his daughter co-founded the organization in California in 1991. Some employees are suing, claiming a harmful work environment.

LaRussa said the people running the non-profit group have failed to investigate those complaints. He said he resigned because he was dissatisfied with the internal turmoil.

An independent investigation last year led to action against some staffers but not those in leadership positions.

The LaRussa family’s statement left open the possibility that they would return if leadership changes are made.

https://fox2now.com/sports/tony-larussa-and-family-resign-from-their-non-profit-animal-rescue-foundation/

The article I linked presents two issues troubling for the clubhouse, FO and Sox fans:

1. The lawsuit alleges Tony La Russa told an “Ebonics” joke in 2018 aimed at a Black man attending a foundation event.

2. Tony’s wife and daughter resigned until the executives named are removed, as they believe the lawsuit allegations are by and large true. Tony continues to defend the two executives, and deny any issues by the executives named in the lawsuit filed on behalf of multiple employees.

Among the allegations is a termination attributed to ageism, a topic you have stated you are sensitive to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

You guys. Just you wait until LaRussa picks up the phone and convinces JR that we need more veteran leadership. 

Yep, was just coming here to ask how long it takes for the Sox to pick him up.

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm looking over streaks of two or more and a lot of franchises have managed that. 

I guarantee the Rockies would trade their 2 year playoff streak for winning in 2007, the Mariners would trade their 2 year streak for anything - don't forget they squandered Griffey, A-Ron, Ichiro, Randy, etc. in a very, very short span.

32 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s frustrating that lost in all the bad decisions yesterday, pitching to Winker might be the worst.  I must be the only one who didn’t mind Garcia trying to steal.  That was the best chance of scoring multiple runs that inning if you’re going to let Hamilton bat.

Fully disagree on the idea to steal.  Why are you playing for two with the bottom of your lineup up and your star closer scheduled for the 10th?  With a runner on 3rd and one out, you have to do everything possible to optimize your chances of getting a single run.  Winker was a really bad decision too, but playing for two with one of the worst hitters in the last half decade up to bat is the definition of insanity.

28 minutes ago, tray said:

I have seen any number of occasions where a manager seeks clarification of a major league rule after a call by an umpire. Not knowing the technicalities or application (especially of a ridiculous new rule) was not a big deal, especially since it had no impact on the game and is a rare situation that will probably never present itself again while the absurd 10th inning ghost runner rule is still in place.   To unfamiliarity  with that "rule" was understandable and forgivable . Those who want to extract another pound of flesh from LaRussa, go ahead. Don't stop now boys.

Meanwhile, more self-flagellation by Sox fans after a tough loss. Woe-is-me, the Sox have been bad since before you were born.. OMG, you know, they could not compete with those Yankee dynasties, they lost to the Dodgers in '59 and were eliminated by the O's in  the '83 ALCS.   There are now 30 teams in mlb that are competing for a championship.  Sox Math that equates to one WS championship every 30 years. However, that is not  what to expect when you have teams like the Yankees and Dodgers. so maybe once in your lifetime should be what to expect, and we won in 2005, so probably sit back, strap it down and enjoy watching the games. Unless  you find that  b1tching incessantly about management and ownership is enjoyable or really want to see the Sox fail and the Cubs take over town. Then  keep grinding away.

This is just sad.  Does Tony have naked pics of your mom or something?

I mean, the fact that you are contradicting yourself within the same post just makes it worse.

MLB is TOUGH, which is exactly why we can't be wasting games on a manager losing games because he still refuses to leave 1989.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

I guarantee the Rockies would trade their 2 year playoff streak for winning in 2007, the Mariners would trade their 2 year streak for anything - don't forget they squandered Griffey, A-Ron, Ichiro, Randy, etc. in a very, very short span.

My point is that Tony isn't an aberration. This franchise has a 120 year tradition of fucking things up.  In a historical context,  he's exactly what this franchise does. Find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

You guys. Just you wait until LaRussa picks up the phone and convinces JR that we need more veteran leadership. 

He is a future Hall of Fame person, after all.

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

So let’s take a look at it with the idea that the manager the Sox wanted was not available or ready so they hired TLR as a bridge to who they want.  I think boiling this all down to “JR wanted to hire his friend” is like level 2-out-of-10 thinking.  

Since the window is obviously a decade or so...who is the guy?

You can't seriously believe that AJ Hinch would pass up the Sox job for one of the worst teams in baseball (Detroit) going through a total rebuild again? Hinch only took the Tigers job after TLR was mistakenly hired. In fact, Oct 29, the Sox hire TLR and on Oct 30, the Tigers hire AJ Hinch! Everyone knows Hinch was destined to be the Sox manger until our senile and inept owner did something no owner ever does...which is make the decision for the manager hire and not the let the GM do it. Furthermore, even if Hinch didn't want the job, which obviously isn't true...are you naïve enough to think Hahn would choose TLR over tons of other manager candidates out there for a bridge hire? I think your theory my friend is level 2 out of 10 thinking!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

You can't seriously believe that AJ Hinch would pass up the Sox job for one of the worst teams in baseball (Detroit) going through a total rebuild again? Hinch only took the Tigers job after TLR was mistakenly hired. In fact, Oct 29, the Sox hire TLR and on Oct 30, the Tigers hire AJ Hinch! Everyone knows Hinch was destined to be the Sox manger until our senile and inept owner did something no owner ever does...which is make the decision for the manager hire and not the let the GM do it. Furthermore, even if Hinch didn't want the job, which obviously isn't true...are you naïve enough to think Hahn would choose TLR over tons of other manager candidates out there for a bridge hire? I think your theory my friend is level 2 out of 10 thinking!

Why do you think the worst team in baseball was the only offer? 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Why do you think the worst team in baseball was the only offer? 

Most sources out there were predicting and hearing it was Hinch in the lead for the Sox job. Plus after the job got filled by TLR, I don't believe there were any other openings available. It's quite simple if Hahn had his way, Hinch would be our manager. 

2 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

Most sources out there were predicting and hearing it was Hinch in the lead for the Sox job. Plus after the job got filled by TLR, I don't believe there were any other openings available. It's quite simple if Hahn had his way, Hinch would be our manager. 

I've heard from a few sources that Bochy (my top choice by a mile over cheater Hinch and [insert criticism] TLR] was #2.  

• Like 2