The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

When did Hahn confirm that? I read the speculation. Hinch didn't even receive an official interview. 

Oh ok, yeah you're right...Hahn didn't want Hinch or any other manager candidate out there and chose TLR as his first choice as a bridge. This was all Hahn and Jerry had no input on this! I wont even debate this any longer,...its so outlandishly illogical and absurd!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

You guys. Just you wait until LaRussa picks up the phone and convinces JR that we need more veteran leadership. 

Wow...is that even legal?  Seriously, with these long-term contracts at mega dollars, it is a fate to befall most of these former stars.

30 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Wow...is that even legal?  Seriously, with these long-term contracts at mega dollars, it is a fate to befall most of these former stars.

Angels are still on the hook for the remainder of his money this year, unless they agreed to a lesser buy out.  Don't see how its any different that releasing anyone else on a guaranteed deal.

11 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Angels are still on the hook for the remainder of his money this year, unless they agreed to a lesser buy out.  Don't see how its any different that releasing anyone else on a guaranteed deal.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

Oh ok, yeah you're right...Hahn didn't want Hinch or any other manager candidate out there and chose TLR as his first choice as a bridge. This was all Hahn and Jerry had no input on this! I wont even debate this any longer,...its so outlandishly illogical and absurd!

That's not even close to anything I wrote. You settled on Hinch as Hahn's first choice. I believe there were several candidates that may have been his first choice. You may be correct that Hinch was #1 but it's just speculation and opinion. 

51 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Baseball contracts are guaranteed. He gets his money. They just didn't want to give him his money and have him take up a roster spot,  or he asked for his release because he's got a gig lined up. 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

That's not even close to anything I wrote. You settled on Hinch as Hahn's first choice. I believe there were several candidates that may have been his first choice. You may be correct that Hinch was #1 but it's just speculation and opinion. 

Hahn's Sabotage began on Day One

Just now, Texsox said:

Baseball contracts are guaranteed. He gets his money. They just didn't want to give him his money and have him take up a roster spot,  or he asked for his release because he's got a gig lined up. 

Yes...I am aware of that.

27 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

It was a joke...loosen up.

16 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yes...I am aware of that.

Sorry.  Some people are more familiar with NFL contracts where they are not guaranteed by default. 

Sorry.  Some people are more familiar with NFL contracts where they are not guaranteed by default. 

No problem.  Several people thought I was being serious.  Not as obvious as I thought apparently.

3 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

Thinking LaRussa will improve as a manager this season and he'll quit making so many dumb mistakes, seems to be Albert Einstein's definition of Insanity....which is: Doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. 😆

I just want him gone after this season. He’s already done his best to slow down the momentum from last year.

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Those Harper & Machado deals would be no-brainers if you could just discard them when performance dropped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fathom said:

It’s frustrating that lost in all the bad decisions yesterday, pitching to Winker might be the worst.  I must be the only one who didn’t mind Garcia trying to steal.  That was the best chance of scoring multiple runs that inning if you’re going to let Hamilton bat.

I also didn't get why they had Kopech intentionally walk a batter (Naquin?) in the 9th inning when his control was already pretty shaky and he was getting squeezed. It's not like it was Winker or a huge threat

24 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Hahn's Sabotage began on Day One

I believe (my opinion) Hahn is intelligent enough to know that JR was not going to hire someone coming off a suspension for cheating.  This is the same guy that lead the owners in a strike that eliminated his own team from a probable WS. 

Bochy, Harris, Kelly, Gonzalez, Redmond, Alomar, plus a couple others I can't think of all would have been a better choice than Tony and had at least a snowball's chance of getting the chairman's ok.

I believe Hahn is way too savvy to champion someone like Cora or Hinch with so much negative baggage. I also believe he's smart enough to know that Tony wasn't going to bring the same performance that earned him a HoF bust. So he would have found a compromise candidate and pushed them. 

But until Hahn retires we won't know for certain. 

8 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

Thinking LaRussa will improve as a manager this season and he'll quit making so many dumb mistakes, seems to be Albert Einstein's definition of Insanity....which is: Doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. 😆

Not to mention the whole reason he took the job is because he "saw some problems" with the way the game is played and wanted to put "his own spin" on things. So he's not gonna just magically start managing in a way that contradicts his entire identity

11 minutes ago, poppysox said:

No problem.  Several people thought I was being serious.  Not as obvious as I thought apparently.

Plus I didn't look to see who posted. I know you know baseball. I would have gotten the joke if I looked who was posting. 

Plus I didn't look to see who posted. I know you know baseball. I would have gotten the joke if I looked who was posting. 

Not the baseball savant that some of these guys are but I try to keep up.

• Like 1