The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

I'm not a fan of TLR...but seriously when has a Chicago sports fans ever been satisfied with their head coach/manager? Except for maybe Mike Ditka, Phil Jackson and Joel Quenneville (the big 3). Think about it...since approximately 2000...most of these dudes were hated at some point.

White Sox:

Jerry Manuel (I was too young so I don't know how fans liked the guy)

Ozzie (definitely love/hate, but more hate toward the end)

Ventura (No one, including myself, liked the guy as manager)

Renteria

TLR

Cubs:

Dusty Baker

Lou Piniella

Mike Quade/Dale Sveum/Renteria

Joe Maddon (He was even hated toward the end)

David Ross

Bears

Lovie Smith

Mark Trestman

John Fox

Matt Nagy

Bulls

Scott Skiles

Jim Boylan

Del Negro

Thibodeau

Hoiberg

Boylen

Donovan

Edited by ScooterMcGee

2 hours ago, ejm3 said:

You can't seriously believe that AJ Hinch would pass up the Sox job for one of the worst teams in baseball (Detroit) going through a total rebuild again? Hinch only took the Tigers job after TLR was mistakenly hired. In fact, Oct 29, the Sox hire TLR and on Oct 30, the Tigers hire AJ Hinch! Everyone knows Hinch was destined to be the Sox manger until our senile and inept owner did something no owner ever does...which is make the decision for the manager hire and not the let the GM do it. Furthermore, even if Hinch didn't want the job, which obviously isn't true...are you naïve enough to think Hahn would choose TLR over tons of other manager candidates out there for a bridge hire? I think your theory my friend is level 2 out of 10 thinking!

When did the Sox interview Hinch?  

Again, try something over level 2 thinking.  

IF THE SOX DIDNT WANT THE TWO CHEATER MANAGERS...what were the other options for long-term managing?

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

IF THE SOX DIDNT WANT THE TWO CHEATER MANAGERS...what were the other options for long-term managing?

I would have been cool with Bochy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I'm not a fan of TLR...but seriously when has a Chicago sports fans ever been satisfied with their head coach/manager? Except for maybe Mike Ditka, Phil Jackson and Joel Quenneville (the big 3). Think about it...since approximately 2000...most of these dudes were hated at some point.

White Sox:

Renteria

TLR

Cubs:

Dusty Baker

Lou Piniella

David Ross

Bears

Lovie Smith

Mark Trestman

John Fox

Matt Nagy

Bulls

Scott Skiles

Jim Boylan

Del Negro

Thibodeau

Hoiberg

Boylen

Donovan

At least those morons knew the rules of the game

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I'm not a fan of TLR...but seriously when has a Chicago sports fans ever been satisfied with their head coach/manager? Except for maybe Phil Jackson and Joel Quenneville. Think about it...since approximately 2000...most of these dudes were hated at some point.

White Sox:

Renteria

TLR

Cubs:

Dusty Baker

Lou Piniella

David Ross

Bears

Lovie Smith

Mark Trestman

John Fox

Matt Nagy

Bulls

Scott Skiles

Jim Boylan

Del Negro

Thibodeau

Hoiberg

Boylen

Donovan

Of everyone on that list Boylen was the guy I disliked seeing fail the most. He is a great guy and was solid with the Spurs. 

Also,  if everyone on the list Tony started with the lowest approval rating and it may have gone up a tiny bit when a couple players had positive things to say. But now it's rightfully lower than anyone on the list except possibly Ozzie when he basically quit to take the Florida job 

15 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

He’s already easily cost the team 3-5 games and it’s only May 6

People say managers aren’t responsible for a huge win/loss margin.  That’s if they’re not making irrational decisions that no other managers would ever make.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Not to mention the whole reason he took the job is because he "saw some problems" with the way the game is played and wanted to put "his own spin" on things. So he's not gonna just magically start managing in a way that contradicts his entire identity

No wonder the consulting work Tony did didn't go so well! 

2014, LaRussa accepted a position as Chief Baseball Officer for the Arizona Diamondbacks to oversee 
the entire baseball operations department.

2016 - Arizona Diamondbacks finish 69-93. 3rd worst record in NL and 6th worst in MLB.

2017 - LaRussa was demoted to Chief Baseball Analyst/Advisor with the Diamondbacks following a disappointing 93-loss season in 2016, 
which also resulted in the firing of General Manager Dave Stewart and manager Chip Hale.

Following the 2017 season, LaRussa resigned. Translation = Probably asked to resign or he would be fired! 

Thank you Jerry, may we have another! ☹️

• Like 1

In what alternative universe is Tony La Russa not the beneficiary of cheating? Oakland was ground zero for the steroid era, and he brought his buddy Mark with him to Saint Louis. Not to mention Jack McDowell’s accusations. Hawk rightfully fired him. With his current performance, it doesn’t appear he’ll be able to improve much on his .507 White Sox record.

Reminds me of sanctimonious John Wooden. Sam Gilbert, not John Wooden, was the pyramid of UCLA’s success.

16 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Yes you're so right again! I guess they didn't want Hinch and there wasn't anyone else out there better than LaRussa. 🙃

Btw, what level of thinking are you at with that wild theory? 🙄

24 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

White Sox:

Renteria

TLR

Cubs:

Dusty Baker

Lou Piniella

David Ross

Bears

Lovie Smith

Mark Trestman

John Fox

Matt Nagy

Bulls

Scott Skiles

Jim Boylan

Del Negro

Thibodeau

Hoiberg

Boylen

Donovan

A fan of any location could make a list.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

Yes you're so right again! I guess they didn't want Hinch and there wasn't anyone else out there better than LaRussa. 🙃

There were several other great candidates available. There were plenty of people better than Tony not named Hinch. I can't believe you think Tony was the second best candidate for the job. I had him around the 300 best. 

21 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Of everyone on that list Boylen was the guy I disliked seeing fail the most. He is a great guy and was solid with the Spurs. 

Also,  if everyone on the list Tony started with the lowest approval rating and it may have gone up a tiny bit when a couple players had positive things to say. But now it's rightfully lower than anyone on the list except possibly Ozzie when he basically quit to take the Florida job 

Sure...but it does go to show. Most coaches are hated. Some less than others, but they're all pretty much hated.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kitekrazy said:

A fan of any location could make a list.

Make a list of hated managers within their team's city? Or just, like, lists in general...

I made the list to prove a point. Pretty much all of those guys were hated by the fans for different reasons. 

Let me make it clear, I am not defending TLR...

38 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

White Sox:

Renteria

TLR

Cubs:

Dusty Baker

Lou Piniella

David Ross

Bears

Lovie Smith

Mark Trestman

John Fox

Matt Nagy

Bulls

Scott Skiles

Jim Boylan

Del Negro

Thibodeau

Hoiberg

Boylen

Donovan

I liked Al Lopez, Chuck Tanner, and Gene Lamont.

5 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Make a list of hated managers within their team's city? Or just, like, lists in general...

I made the list to prove a point. Pretty much all of those guys were hated by the fans for different reasons. 

Let me make it clear, I am not defending TLR...

Yes.  It's not a Chicago thing. I bet they do that in New York. 

The Sox for once hired a successful manager.  The bad part is the owner made this hire.  I think TLR only took this job as a favor to Reinsdorf.  

13 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Yes.  It's not a Chicago thing. I bet they do that in New York. 

The Sox for once hired a successful manager.  The bad part is the owner made this hire.  I think TLR only took this job as a favor to Reinsdorf.  

Managers that are hated in New York? Of course. The Knicks and Jets are there. 

Exactly the kind of teams we want to be compared to.

40 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

Dude all I’m saying is maybe the long-term guy to lead the white Sox WASNT OUT THERE THIS OFFSEASON in the eyes of our FO.  

Isn’t that possible?   Wouldn’t that kind of explain this?

Me too that’s who I wanted

More important than the person was the process.

Little Ricky said this himself - he wanted to go outside the organization, talk to a number of people, and evaluate his next coach while also learning about where managers though his team and the game would go. That would have been exactly the right process - some candidate or candidates would inevitably be the best. Maybe Bochy. Maybe Hinch. Maybe Hinch meets with the team and finds Detroit a better fit. Maybe it's someone completely unexpected. 

At this point though, we can safely say it wouldn't have been LaRussa in a fair competition - because we've seen him in action. 

Dude all I’m saying is maybe the long-term guy to lead the white Sox WASNT OUT THERE THIS OFFSEASON in the eyes of our FO.  

Isn’t that possible?   Wouldn’t that kind of explain this?

No, that's not possible, because they didn't interview people to actually find out. 

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

One thing that this thread allowed me to do is actually keep track of games where Tony LaRussa did something specific that caused a blowup.

2-Apr Failing to make review time window, Leury starts opening day, no pinch hitter for him late.

4-Apr Bullpen usage - Bummer never used in close game

5-Apr Bullpen usage - Foster blows game, Hendricks warms but never comes in

*Several times could have PH for Leury or Hamilton, not done

7-Apr Bullpen usage - Foster comes in with Bummer and Hendricks needing work, gives up 7 runs. 

11-Apr Couple of poorly thought out bunts, pinch running for Mercedes early left no backup Ofs

13-Apr Williams hits 5th, Lamb hits 7th, Mercedes benched against Bieber. Hendricks not used in the 10th.

27-Apr Attempts to kill Lucas Giolito. "We were looking for a single there." Insists postgame that he was awake.

5-May Messes up double-switch, runs team out of 10th inning, rulebook read to him by reporter.

Bolded are games where managerial decisions are particularly troublesome. Numerous other games - Vaughn, Madrigal being benched for Leury, Hamilton, and Williams. Lack of offdays for Abreu, Eaton.

There's at least 8 games so far this season where the manager has been a contributing factor in a loss, without counting guys that he chose to bench on the list more than once. Changing to a competent manager doesn't turn all of those into wins - maybe a better lineup still loses to Bieber as Cleveland's bullpen is outpitching us, maybe someone still gives up runs out of the bullpen, etc. But there's an awful lot of high-leverage events so far this season where people have been saying "the Manager contributed to a bad thing happening". 

Lotssss of errors in here. What were you looking at?

April 2: this was not opening day. The white Sox won this game.

April 4: Lynn started, followed by Heuer, then Bummer came in when it was 4-4. 

April 5: the Sox won this game 6 to 0. Foster did not blow the game evidently. 

April 13: Yermin started this game, Bieber did not pitch this game. Hendriks did not pitch this game. 

Fake news Balta! Rescind the likes he got for the post!

Edited by ron883
  • Fire 1