The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I watched the post game conference and you misrepresented what he said. I didnt address your other points because I had nothing to say about them. Is that ok with you? 

You disagree or mischaracterize with most of my posts. You alone take exception to my Sox posts more than the rest of the board combined. In fact, I am surprised I got to post 4 or whatever it is today without getting one of your lessons. Your responses almost always exude arrogance and they typically lead to a personal attack from you. You clearly you have some strange personal thing with me and I am not sure who you are or if you used to have a different username, but it's pretty strange. So how about, adult to adult, we agree not to respond to each other's posts? I will certainly hold up my end if you hold up yours.

PS If you pay attention - people don't like when you take over threads with your pissing contests and arrogance. I, like many others, come here to talk Sox and your daily personal battles tend to distract from the SoxTalk. Almost like how the ads on FanGraphs make it more difficult for me to get to where I am trying to go. For the betterment of the site, I will gladly stop exchanging with you. I know it's probably tough for you to imagine that I could through my day and be so ignorant about the Sox without your jabs, but I am confident we can both grow from this. And plus, since I am asking for this, you can play it off like I am too scared and tell people I couldn't cut it with you. You can have more internet victories - and that's really why you post here right.

Let's see if we could both be mature and just ignore each other. Please confirm you can do that. 

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Wouldn't it also apply in AL stadiums if a manager previously had to put his DH in the field due to an injury thus losing the DH for the rest of the game?

For such a simple rule there sure are a lot of obscure variables. 

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Because he was the best hitter on his high school team (not shocking, I know), played SS and is much closer to that period of his life in baseball than Hendriks at his size trying to sprint anywhere when he was much younger.

So if we are in another NL game, and Keuchel reaches base in the third inning, do we need to pull him for a pinch runner due to his inability to run the bases.  I bet Hendrik would smoke Keuchel in a foot race.

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

For such a simple rule there sure are a lot of obscure variables. 

It's almost as if we were better off having the game played the way it's been played that last 100+ years...

And to be clear, LaRussa and his staff should still know the rules. No matter how dumb they are. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

People assume Jerry remains lucid at age 85, but unlike Tony, Jerry can continue to operate as a recluse and the public will never know if he has diminished capacity. The last time Jerry was videotaped for an interview was February 2020, he explicitly stated Tony La Russa has no reason to return to managing.

Wow I didn’t know this. That’s major. 

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Because he was the best hitter on his high school team (not shocking, I know), played SS and is much closer to that period of his life in baseball than Hendriks at his size trying to sprint anywhere when he was much younger.

Most of these guys were the best everything on their high school teams. I wish MLB would go full platoon. Have a defensive lineup and an offensive lineup like football. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

It's almost as if we were better off having the game played the way it's been played that last 100+ years...

And to be clear, LaRussa and his staff should still know the rules. No matter how dumb they are. 

Wait until the homerun derby to decide tie games (now being used in the Pioneer League) gets to MLB. YeaHaa!!

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

You should really consider installing a good ad blocker, there is no reason for ads or pop ups in 2021.

I have an adblocker on both my computers. Fangraphs is one of the sites where it is basically impossible to use with an adblocker. Like the Tribune or other sites that won't let you read their content without turning off your adblocker.

But if anyone doesn't have an adblocker, as stated above, you should get one. 

24 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

People assume Jerry remains lucid at age 85, but unlike Tony, Jerry can continue to operate as a recluse and the public will never know if he has diminished capacity. The last time Jerry was videotaped for an interview was February 2020, he explicitly stated Tony La Russa has no reason to return to managing.

I wonder if the White Sox are considering controlling or pulling media access to Tony. In nearly five decades of watching sports, I don’t ever recall a similar incident of a reporter reading and teaching a manager or coach the rules of a game, or a response that the media knows the rules better than the manager.

I hope the White Sox don’t pull James Fegan’s credentials for the audacity of doing his job.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't assume Jerry is lucid at age 85 for one second. I think he is completely senile and losing it. This is a horrific dangerous combination when on top if it, Jerry is an inept and pompous owner. No owner in baseball today would have made this type of hire, other than a egotistical and clueless Reinsdorf. This was a absurd decision for Jerry for his own selfish reasons to placate his injured ego, from his move he screwed up 35 years ago when he let Hawk Harrelson fire TLR.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

35 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't assume Jerry is lucid at age 85 for one second. I think he is completely senile and losing it. This is a horrific dangerous combination when on top if it, Jerry is an inept and pompous owner. No owner in baseball today would have made this type of hire, other than a egotistical and clueless Reinsdorf. This was a absurd decision for Jerry for his own selfish reasons to placate his injured ego, from his move he screwed up 35 years ago when he let Hawk Harrelson fire TLR.

Agreed. Yet fans somehow believe guys he's hired and kept on like Hahn would be grabbed up in a hurry by other teams. Only an inept chairman ( he owns less that 20% of the team ) would keep these guys after so many losing seasons. 

I don't know why we, myself included,  keep calling him the owner. He's the chairman and owns less than 1/5th of the team. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, skooch said:

Well, it doesn't allow for PR (a remaining bench player), per se. It allows for the player immediately preceding the pitcher's spot to run instead. My point was just that saying "who's running for Hendriks" might be interpreted by an old NL manager like him to think of actually PR for Hendriks and having someone else pitch B10.

Actually I'm pretty sure besides using Abreu they could have also pinch run for Hendricks which would have taken him out of the game. Tony wanted him in the game but there was really no reason to keep him in the game . Only Kopech and Hendricks had been used so there were lots of guys available with an off day coming upp the next day.

https://twitter.com/JRFegan/status/1390033735458902021/photo/1

rule.png

35 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

So what, we had a well rested bullpen and who said Bummer couldn't have closed the inning out. 

Well, this is certainly a valid point and Bummer obviously couldn't have done much worse than Hendriks in B10 (hindsight being 20/20). However, it seems obvious that TLR wanted Hendriks to pitch B10, because if he didn't and failed to realize that he could simply PR for a base runner (Hendriks) who is then taken out of the game, that's a much bigger indictment of TLR than anything having to do with this ridiculous runner-at-2nd rule we've been discussing.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Actually I'm pretty sure besides using Abreu they could have also pinch run for Hendricks which would have taken him out of the game. Tony wanted him in the game but there was really no reason to keep him in the game . Only Kopech and Hendricks had been used so there were lots of guys available with an off day coming upp the next day.

https://twitter.com/JRFegan/status/1390033735458902021/photo/1

rule.png

That's not how I read it, but I admit it is possible. I believed that the intent of the "or a pinch runner" was to allow the manager to actually "pinch run" for the pitcher and remove him from the game. That is, there are three options 1. Let the pitcher run; 2. Let the position player immediately before the pitcher run; or 3. Remove the pitcher from the game and replace him with a PR. But, as with so many things in life, wthdik?

Edit: Sorry, I misread your quote. I agree. PR for Hendriks and removing him from the game was an option.

Edited by skooch

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Agreed. Yet fans somehow believe guys he's hired and kept on like Hahn would be grabbed up in a hurry by other teams. Only an inept chairman ( he owns less that 20% of the team ) would keep these guys after so many losing seasons. 

I don't know why we, myself included,  keep calling him the owner. He's the chairman and owners less than 1/5th of the team. 

Great point. Then the other owners who keep him on as chairman obviously are clueless and don't give a damn. 

Just now, skooch said:

That's not how I read it, but I admit it is possible. I believed that the intent of the "or a pinch runner" was to allow the manager to actually "pinch run" for the pitcher and remove him from the game. That is, there are three options 1. Let the pitcher run; 2. Let the position player immediately before the pitcher run; or 3. Remove the pitcher from the game and replace him with a PR. But, as with so many things in life, wthdik?

I think we all agree that of the three options the staff picked the worse one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ejm3 said:

Great point. Then the other owners who keep him on as chairman obviously are clueless and don't give a damn. 

I'd leave him on. If I invested a share of $20,000,000 and it was now worth $1,600,000,000 I'd leave him in and pray he doesn't die. 

16 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I don't know why we, myself included,  keep calling him the owner. He's the chairman and owners less than 1/5th of the team. 

23 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

Yes, but his consideration and hiring of Tony La Russa is more of an indication of Jerry's personality traits. His hire is similar to Gar/Pax, Kenny/Hahn, Hawk Harrelson and others. Can't say he wasn't lucky, with Portland selecting Sam Bowie which changed the course of history. 

4 minutes ago, skooch said:

Well, this is certainly a valid point and Bummer obviously couldn't have done much worse than Hendriks in B10 (hindsight being 20/20). However, it seems obvious that TLR wanted Hendriks to pitch B10, because if he didn't and failed to realize that he could simply PR for a base runner (Hendriks) who is then taken out of the game, that's a much bigger indictment of TLR than anything having to do with this ridiculous runner-at-2nd rule we've been discussing.

I agree with you its totally on TRL. How come nobody talks about why TLR took Kopech out in the first place. Yes the bases were loaded, but there were two outs. All we needed was for Katz to come out and just settle Kopech down and tell him to just stick with the fastball as he was struggling with the curve and slider. Plus he was only at 43 pitch count. If it were the bottom of the second tied 0-0 and he was at 43 pitches with bases loaded and two outs, I seriously doubt TRL would have pulled him. 

53 minutes ago, raBBit said:

You disagree or mischaracterize with most of my posts. You alone take exception to my Sox posts more than the rest of the board combined. In fact, I am surprised I got to post 4 or whatever it is today without getting one of your lessons. Your responses almost always exude arrogance and they typically lead to a personal attack from you. You clearly you have some strange personal thing with me and I am not sure who you are or if you used to have a different username, but it's pretty strange. So how about, adult to adult, we agree not to respond to each other's posts? I will certainly hold up my end if you hold up yours.

PS If you pay attention - people don't like when you take over threads with your pissing contests and arrogance. I, like many others, come here to talk Sox and your daily personal battles tend to distract from the SoxTalk. Almost like how the ads on FanGraphs make it more difficult for me to get to where I am trying to go. For the betterment of the site, I will gladly stop exchanging with you. I know it's probably tough for you to imagine that I could through my day and be so ignorant about the Sox without your jabs, but I am confident we can both grow from this. And plus, since I am asking for this, you can play it off like I am too scared and tell people I couldn't cut it with you. You can have more internet victories - and that's really why you post here right.

Let's see if we could both be mature and just ignore each other. Please confirm you can do that. 

Hmm, maybe because I don't care who posts what and don't follow you around because you're posts aren't important to me?

I don't care what your username is, you posted something that was incorrect and I corrected it. If you feel you're above that, and think you should post free of any commentary to the contrary of your viewpoint maybe you should consider not posting on public message boards?

Again, this self inflated sense of importance you have about yourself really gets in the way of basic conversation. All I said was that that part of the post was wrong, and then corrected what LaRussa actually said; you've now gone on to write multiple posts getting oddly defensive and making this a personal vendetta in your brain despite nothing personal being exchanged from my end. I've said this before, but get over yourself guy.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes, but his consideration and hiring of Tony La Russa is more of an indication of Jerry's personality traits. His hire is similar to Gar/Pax, Kenny/Hahn, Hawk Harrelson and others. Can't say he wasn't lucky, with Portland selecting Sam Bowie which changed the course of history.

Great point and I agree with you on his weak traits. I've stated before on previous threads here how Jerry hangs on too long to weak executive in people like Krause, Pax and Kenny. To be clear though, lets not combine Kenny/Hahn, since Hahn is now running this and not Kenny and this team is finally heading in the right direction. 

1 minute ago, skooch said:

Ok if what you just said is how you think then I 'm pretty sure that's right and we are interpreting it the same way. SO he had 3 choices, 2 of which did not involve the pitcher running but he choose to let Hendriks run because, A. He didn't know the rule and B. Because he wanted to keep Hendriks in . Someone could've had a more complete discussion with LaRussa from his staff which would have taken all of a minute to lay out the options . Abreu or pinch runner in for Hendriks, who was batting for the Reds the next inning , players left available on the bench should he pinch run,  Bummer, Heuer whoever all available, off day the next day.

I like the WTHDIK .