The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

1 hour ago, VAfan said:

I wonder if all you TLR bashers are unhappy that the Sox are in first place, with the best record in baseball, have won 6 in a row, sweeping two division rivals in the process, while TLR has made some very astute moves??

I mean, does White Sox success, with TLR firmly at the helm, cause you consternation?? 

Or do you still nitpick, think the Sox are succeeding in spite of him, just so you can hold onto your prejudices? 

i see some very astute moves by TLR.  Gave Billy Hamilton a start in CF against a lefty, and he goes 4 for 4 with a double, triple, and two singles, drives guys in and scores 3 runs.  Today - I haven't seen the game - he makes a defensive play (or two) with men on base, saving runs and perhaps the game?  Meanwhile, Jake Lamb gets a start to rest Jose from the beating he took yesterday, and he hits a HR giving the Sox enough of a lead to keep them ahead the whole game.  Maybe he wasn't the best defensively, but did it cost the Sox the run he gave them?  

There are more moves I've liked, but I'll just leave it there.  

Are you STILL on this?  I thought you were waiting for the end of the season.

• Haha 2

I am enjoying the Sox playing well and being in first place despite the overall poor job performance of the manager.  I can think TLR sucks, enjoy the wins, and appreciate how well the talent is performing w/o some perverse prejudicial agenda.  It is possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VAfan said:

I wonder if all you TLR bashers are unhappy that the Sox are in first place, with the best record in baseball, have won 6 in a row, sweeping two division rivals in the process, while TLR has made some very astute moves??

I mean, does White Sox success, with TLR firmly at the helm, cause you consternation?? 

Or do you still nitpick, think the Sox are succeeding in spite of him, just so you can hold onto your prejudices? 

i see some very astute moves by TLR.  Gave Billy Hamilton a start in CF against a lefty, and he goes 4 for 4 with a double, triple, and two singles, drives guys in and scores 3 runs.  Today - I haven't seen the game - he makes a defensive play (or two) with men on base, saving runs and perhaps the game?  Meanwhile, Jake Lamb gets a start to rest Jose from the beating he took yesterday, and he hits a HR giving the Sox enough of a lead to keep them ahead the whole game.  Maybe he wasn't the best defensively, but did it cost the Sox the run he gave them?  

There are more moves I've liked, but I'll just leave it there.  

I truly can't tell if you're trolling or if you really can't figure it out. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I am enjoying the Sox playing well and being in first place despite the overall poor job performance of the manager.  I can think TLR sucks, enjoy the wins, and appreciate how well the talent is performing w/o some perverse prejudicial agenda.  It is possible.

Today's win puts TL within 14 games of 2nd place all-time in manager wins.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Today's win puts TL within 14 games of 2nd place all-time in manager wins.

Good for him.  Doesn’t change my opinion of him here and now as the current manager of my favourite team. 

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Trust me we feel the same about you haters have to just leave it until the parade I guess😂

The Sox have an incredible roster and are firing on all cylinders. Every Sox fan hopes that continues. 

Some feel LaRussa has made multiple inexcusable, very avoidable mistakes early in the season and are worried those mistakes could emerge when it really matters. I gave the Cody Parkey example about 30 pages back. 

So when @VAfan asks if the "TLR bashers are unhappy that the Sox are winning?" I feel it's appropriate to ask if he's trolling....because I really don't think it's that confusing to figure out. Maybe I'm giving too much credit to people. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

If I knew the White Sox losing 110+ games or something from 2017-2019 would have gotten Rick Hahn fired, yeah....I can see rooting for losses, a change in leadership/philosophy and a 1-1 draft pick (that's basically what we have in TLR, for good or for bad.)

Otherwise, no way in hell you cheer against your favorite team.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tony said:

The Sox have an incredible roster and are firing on all cylinders. Every Sox fan hopes that continues. 

Some feel LaRussa has made multiple inexcusable, very avoidable mistakes early in the season and are worried those mistakes could emerge when it really matters. I gave the Cody Parkey example about 30 pages back. 

So when @VAfan asks if the "TLR bashers are unhappy that the Sox are winning?" I feel it's appropriate to ask if he's trolling....because I really don't think it's that confusing to figure out. Maybe I'm giving too much credit to people. 

It's like modern politics where it is a one or the other thing. If you like one side, you have to like every other thing that goes with it and vice versa. Apparently in this simple world if you don't like TLR you can't be happy if the team does well, and if they do, you the TLR stans will have you answer for why you are still angry that they are doing well every single day, even though you aren't.

It's just dumb. 

• Thanks 3
  • Fire 1

39 minutes ago, Tony said:

TLR has earned a little grace but I agree with most of that cheers

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Tony said:

I can only offer the prospective that I don't believe anyone is spending time watching games, and reading about the team here and elsewhere hoping they lose.

We are all Sox fans who enjoying watching or listening to the games, celebrating when the team wins and when players do well, regardless of our different opinions about the pros/cons on the owner, FO, manager, or individual player contracts or performance. If people are critical, it's because they want the team to do better, to have the best players available, and to have the players in a position to succeed.

Jerry didn't have a WS World Series ring when I met him after the 2005 Division clinching game, but I hope that if I meet Rick Hahn in 2030s, I am wearing sunglasses to avoid going blind by the glare of light emanating from ten White Sox World Series rings on every finger and thumb. 

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Tony said:

Brother Tony. I watched every game in the Twins series and I am certain that some  ("inexcusable"?) decisions that LaRussa made could be questioned and tallied on some score card, but to what end? The Sox swept the series, I am ecstatic, and I don't want to hear constant whining about LaRussa.  It is beginning to look petty and distracts from discussing  the main topics here. As a mod, you should be trying to keep the flow of the discussion and encouraging fan dialogue, , not accusing posters of trolling.

Listen, if LaRussa deserves to be fired, the Chicago sports media will be all over that. However,  he is no where near that threshold right now.  It's just not an issue at this time. Maybe save your bullets as the saying goes, and attack him if and when it looks like he deserves to go.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tray said:

Brother Tony. I watched every game in the Twins series and I am certain that some  ("inexcusable"?) decisions that LaRussa made could be questioned and tallied on some score card, but to what end? The Sox swept the series, I am ecstatic, and I don't want to hear constant whining about LaRussa.  

So, here's a novel idea for you:

You COULD, like, not post in this thread. You COULD read about and post in other threads. Just a thought. 

Or here's another novel idea:

To this point in the season, one can be pleased with the team's performance, AND believe that TLR has earned every fucking ounce of ridicule he's gotten so far. Like, at the same time, even! It ain't that hard to do.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tray said:

Brother Tony. I watched every game in the Twins series and I am certain that some  ("inexcusable"?) decisions that LaRussa made could be questioned and tallied on some score card, but to what end? The Sox swept the series, I am ecstatic, and I don't want to hear constant whining about LaRussa.  It is beginning to look petty and distracts from discussing  the main topics here. As a mod, you should be trying to keep the flow of the discussion and encouraging fan dialogue, , not accusing posters of trolling.

Listen, if LaRussa deserves to be fired, the Chicago sports media will be all over that. However,  he is no where near that threshold right now.  It's just not an issue at this time. Maybe save your bullets as the saying goes, and attack him if and when it looks like he deserves to go.

Then I suggest you put on your big boy pants, and don’t let it bother you so much. If you don’t like...you don’t have to comment or read it. I literally posted it in the topic “The TLR Manager Thread”

But thanks for the advice. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Down 2 star outfielders and this team now sports the best record in baseball.

In the prophetic words of Jose Abreu: God bless Tony LaRussa. 

See this here is straight trolling.  The team is winning because its core is so talented it can overcome two major holes in the OF.  Even if you’re not a La Russa hater, to suggest he’s the reason we have the best record im baseball is laughable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

54 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

See this here is straight trolling.  The team is winning because its core is so talented it can overcome two major holes in the OF.  Even if you’re not a La Russa hater, to suggest he’s the reason we have the best record im baseball is laughable.

Sox *could* be up 5 or so games in the division if not for some terrible managerial decisions early.  Those are tangible results.  Sox might still run away with the division but the concern about those same tendencies popping up when it matters the most is still real.  We can love every minute of the winning while still being critical of the mistakes a good manager probably doesn't make.  It can be nuanced.

• Like 5

I think a big part of a  team's success is the atmosphere the manager/staff creates. I am a TLR detractor mainly because of his age , but this team has exceeded my expectations with their play despite  loosing 2 of their better offensive players.  I temper that with the fact that 12 of the last 14 games have been against the AL Central which I consider the worst division in baseball. They have gone 10-4 in that stretch.   But I watched the Oakland/Boston series this week, which started w the two teams w best records in baseball. and their rosters  in my opinion are pretty much inferior to our's across the board.  

So TLR is getting this team to play well despite the adversity. Hopefully we have the same feeling when they play outside the AL Central 

12 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Same, couldn't agree with you more! 

• Like 1

I will give him credit on the quick defensive substitutions. Get a guy 2-3 at bats and then pull him for a better defender like the times with Vaughn and Lamb yesterday (not that Lamb should have even been starting in the first place). Hopefully it doesn't burn us later in the year and you have the bullpen blow it only for Eloy to have been taken out for Hamilton hitting 5th late in the game/extras.