The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

See this here is straight trolling.  The team is winning because its core is so talented it can overcome two major holes in the OF.  Even if you’re not a La Russa hater, to suggest he’s the reason we have the best record im baseball is laughable.

not as laughable as your reasoning

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Sox *could* be up 5 or so games in the division if not for some terrible managerial decisions early.  Those are tangible results.  Sox might still run away with the division but the concern about those same tendencies popping up when it matters the most is still real.  We can love every minute of the winning while still being critical of the mistakes a good manager probably doesn't make.  It can be nuanced.

30 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I think a big part of a  team's success is the atmosphere the manager/staff creates. I am a TLR detractor mainly because of his age , but this team has exceeded my expectations with their play despite  loosing 2 of their better offensive players.  I temper that with the fact that 12 of the last 14 games have been against the AL Central which I consider the worst division in baseball. They have gone 10-4 in that stretch.   But I watched the Oakland/Boston series this week, which started w the two teams w best records in baseball. and their rosters  in my opinion are pretty much inferior to our's across the board.  

So TLR is getting this team to play well despite the adversity. Hopefully we have the same feeling when they play outside the AL Central 

Two posts made with 30 minutes of each other. One is fairly critical of TLR, one is fairly complementary of TLR.

In my opinion....both are well stated and true!  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, VAfan said:

I wonder if all you TLR bashers are unhappy that the Sox are in first place, with the best record in baseball, have won 6 in a row, sweeping two division rivals in the process, while TLR has made some very astute moves??

I mean, does White Sox success, with TLR firmly at the helm, cause you consternation?? 

Or do you still nitpick, think the Sox are succeeding in spite of him, just so you can hold onto your prejudices? 

i see some very astute moves by TLR.  Gave Billy Hamilton a start in CF against a lefty, and he goes 4 for 4 with a double, triple, and two singles, drives guys in and scores 3 runs.  Today - I haven't seen the game - he makes a defensive play (or two) with men on base, saving runs and perhaps the game?  Meanwhile, Jake Lamb gets a start to rest Jose from the beating he took yesterday, and he hits a HR giving the Sox enough of a lead to keep them ahead the whole game.  Maybe he wasn't the best defensively, but did it cost the Sox the run he gave them?  

There are more moves I've liked, but I'll just leave it there.  

Since when can't a fan be ecstatic with this White Sox amazing run and success, as well as be unhappy because of the manager. I am not nitpicking and I don't think as you claim....I know the Sox are winning in spite of TLR.

My harsh feelings for TLR are not prejudicial. My criticism for TLR as a "hater" is based on the fact he was forced onto the team by the pompous owner, which is usually never done in any of the four sports. Owners own and collect the money and GM's//VP's make executive decisions who should manage the club and who should be on the field. 

This team is winning not because of TLR, but because of the awesome rebuild Rick Hahn has done putting this team together. It's because the players he brought here are jelling together, having fun and establishing a championship winning culture. I understand we're suck with TLR and that won't change sadly. That doesn't mean we cant be a critic of him and still love our Sox players and success!

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Two posts made with 30 minutes of each other. One is fairly critical of TLR, one is fairly complementary of TLR.

In my opinion....both are well stated and true!  

Yeah, he's doing the hard part in getting the most out of the players and he's managing Kopech very well, but he has but he's made some very bad lineup decisions, both in who to play and in what order to hit them, and a couple really bad pitching decisions.

4 minutes ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

Since when can't a fan be ecstatic with this White Sox amazing run and success, as well as be unhappy because of the manager. I am not nitpicking and I don't think as you claim....I know the Sox are winning in spite of TLR.

My harsh feelings for TLR are not prejudicial. My criticism for TLR as a "hater" is based on the fact he was forced onto the team by the pompous owner, which is usually never done in any of the four sports. Owners own and collect the money and GM's//VP's make executive decisions who should manage the club and who should be on the field. 

This team is winning not because of TLR, but because of the awesome rebuild Rick Hahn has done putting this team together. It's because the players he brought here are jelling together, having fun and establishing a championship winning culture. I understand we're suck with TLR and that won't change sadly. That doesn't mean we cant be a critic of him and still love our Sox players and success!

Two owners come to mind with little thought.  Al Davis and Jerry Jones, wait another one just came to me Steinbrenner.

Edited by A-Train to 35th

2 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Two owners come to find with little thought.  Al Davis and Jerry Jones, wait another one just came to me Steinbrenner.

Terrible and ignorant analogies. Al Davis and Jerry Jones never had a GM under them. Jerry still doesn't. Once George Steinbrenner hired Brian Cashman in 1998, he and his sons now, have never stepped in to tell Cashman who to hire as manager. 

1 minute ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

Terrible and ignorant analogies. Al Davis and Jerry Jones never had a GM under them. Jerry still doesn't. Once George Steinbrenner hired Brian Cashman in 1998, he and his sons now, have never stepped in to tell Cashman who to hire as manager. 

So based on your astute analogy if JR fired Hahn, then JR can do whatever he wants?

As an owner of a business I do what I want just as most successful people do.

14 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Two owners come to mind with little thought.  Al Davis and Jerry Jones, wait another one just came to me Steinbrenner.

Considering 2 of your 3 examples are dead, that is kind of telling as to how hard it is to find TODAY.

12 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

So based on your astute analogy if JR fired Hahn, then JR can do whatever he wants?

As an owner of a business I do what I want just as most successful people do.

First, In my comment I had the word usually before never. Of course there are always stupid owners who can make stupid decisions. 

Secondly, as far as Hahn being fired. Of course Jerry could fire Hahn. However as senile and clueless as Reinsdorf is, I don't think he would dare fire Hahn. The bigger worry is will some other sharp owner make an offer to steal Hahn away. Ricketts did it with Theo and the Dodgers owners (Guggenheim Management group) did it with Andrew Friedman from Tampa. 

Owners can do what they want. It doesn't mean they don't follow normal best practices of running an organization. 

Edited by "The Kids Can Play"

6 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I encourage everyone to read it and see that there are owners worse than JR

"There are other bad owners in a different sport" is not the slam dunk comeback that you think it is.   

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

First, In my comment I had the word usually before never. Of course there are always stupid owners who can make stupid decisions. 

Secondly, as far as Hahn being fired. Of course Jerry could fire Hahn. However as senile and clueless as Reinsdorf is, I don't think he would dare fire Hahn. The bigger worry is will some other sharp owner make an offer to steal Hahn away. Ricketts did it with Theo and the Dodgers owners (Guggenheim Management group) did it with Andrew Friedman from Tampa. 

Owners can do what they want. It doesn't mean they don't follow normal best practices of running an organization. 

Being picky you BOLDED the words "NEVER", "FORCED",  and "I KNOW" so I believed you.

7 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I encourage everyone to read it and see that there are owners worse than JR

The Glazer brothers are not worse than Reinsdorf. Tampa just won their 2nd Super Bowl and all 22 starters coming back. Plus they were smart enough to buy Manchester United which is worth a lot more money than the Bulls or Sox. Btw, those were all football owners. Also, not sure why the McCaskey's were not on that list. 

4 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Being picky you BOLDED the words "NEVER", "FORCED",  and "I KNOW" so I believed you.

I'm not being picky. Owners don't override GM's Name me the owners in MLB right now who went over their GM and chose their current manager besides Jerry.

4 minutes ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

I'm not being picky. Owners don't override GM's Name me the owners in MLB right now who went over their GM and chose their current manager besides Jerry.

I was referring to myself being "picky"...and I can't think of any off the top of my head because frankly I can't name all the GM's for every team, in fact I probably don't know more than a handful so I'll refrain from expressing  my opinion. 

Edited by A-Train to 35th
sp

Just now, A-Train to 35th said:

I was referring to myself being "picky"...and I can't think of any off the top of my head because frankly I can't name all the GM's for every team, in fact I probably don't more than a handful so I'll refrain from expressing  my opinion. 

It's a mute point so let's move on. It is what it is with Jerry. He has always been an pompous and buffoon owner for both his clubs. TLR is here and that isn't changing....unless he gets another DUI! lol The good news is, we can win the World Series this year whether his lame ass manages this team or not...the team is that great. 

5 minutes ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

It's a mute point so let's move on. It is what it is with Jerry. He has always been an pompous and buffoon owner for both his clubs. TLR is here and that isn't changing....unless he gets another DUI! lol The good news is, we can win the World Series this year whether his lame ass manages this team or not...the team is that great. 

Moot

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, VAfan said:

I wonder if all you TLR bashers are unhappy that the Sox are in first place, with the best record in baseball, have won 6 in a row, sweeping two division rivals in the process, while TLR has made some very astute moves??

I mean, does White Sox success, with TLR firmly at the helm, cause you consternation?? 

Or do you still nitpick, think the Sox are succeeding in spite of him, just so you can hold onto your prejudices? 

i see some very astute moves by TLR.  Gave Billy Hamilton a start in CF against a lefty, and he goes 4 for 4 with a double, triple, and two singles, drives guys in and scores 3 runs.  Today - I haven't seen the game - he makes a defensive play (or two) with men on base, saving runs and perhaps the game?  Meanwhile, Jake Lamb gets a start to rest Jose from the beating he took yesterday, and he hits a HR giving the Sox enough of a lead to keep them ahead the whole game.  Maybe he wasn't the best defensively, but did it cost the Sox the run he gave them?  

There are more moves I've liked, but I'll just leave it there.  

No one is rooting against the White Sox or unhappy that they're playing great. In fact, it's the idea that we really love the White Sox that makes many of us so upset that they weren't given the best leader to steer their ship. They are a well equipped war machine and they were going to be lethal regardless of the Captain, but now many of us are concerned that strategically speaking they might be handicapped this season and will be forced to overcome that handicap to reach their full potential - which isn't in May.

Managers don't impact many games, the fact that we have 5-6 examples of ways he has and it's May 14th is scary, not exciting. Bill Hamilton is an awful hitter, and if you want to give his success in one game to anyone (which is hilariously nonsensical anyway) then give it to this guy:

When your options are Hamilton or Garcia, I'm not sure how you can go "wrong" given that both suck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No one is rooting against the White Sox or unhappy that they're playing great. In fact, it's the idea that we really love the White Sox that makes many of us so upset that they weren't given the best leader to steer their ship. They are a well equipped war machine and they were going to be lethal regardless of the Captain, but now many of us are concerned that strategically speaking they might be handicapped this season and will be forced to overcome that handicap to reach their full potential - which isn't in May.

Managers don't impact many games, the fact that we have 5-6 examples of ways he has and it's May 14th is scary, not exciting. Bill Hamilton is an awful hitter, and if you want to give his success in one game to anyone (which is hilariously nonsensical anyway) then give it to this guy:

When your options are Hamilton or Garcia, I'm not sure how you can go "wrong" given that both suck.

It’s hilarious when people complain about tlr costing games. Then say with a straight face that managers don’t really effect the outcome of games. Yet he doesn’t get credit for the best record in baseball