The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

Just now, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Listening to coaches is Baseball 101. If you let one guy openly defy coaching, that spreads to the rest of the team. You nip it in the bud now before it becomes a problem.

Every baseball team I played on, players who ignored their coaches were dealt with. Good coaches never let that fly. 

this is pro ball not some summer league or college team.  this has already been handled and the team will you know, move on together. Yermin already showed up late once this year and TLR let him off pretty easily so I'd imagine TLR was a little ticked he swung through a take sign but you know what who the hell cares.  as I've said a million times each of these guys is more mentally tough and more socially adaptable than almost all other people on earth.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

OK you can make the case he missed the take sign, but who is even paying attention to signs with a position player on the mound up 11? Tony left the dugout to put on a show for the Twins, but probably pissed off a few of his own players in the process. I don’t think it will lead to a losing streak, but this team seems it is going to be what it wants to be whether Tony likes it or not.

Right? Why are their signs up 12 in the 9th with a position player pitching lol

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am not one to wish ill will or health on someone, but man.  That might be what it takes to make this TLR experiment as short as possible.  I would literally take ANYONE over him.  

Same.

This is a prime example of what many were saying in the off-season about having a guy like Tony in the clubhouse. The whole "generational disconnect" where today's game is breaking the unwritten rules and then the front office hires Tony. Let the players be themselves. Fuck it.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

this is pro ball not some summer league or college team.  this has already been handled and the team will you know, move on together. Yermin already showed up late once this year and TLR let him off pretty easily so I'd imagine TLR was a little ticked he swung through a take sign but you know what who the hell cares.  as I've said a million times each of these guys is more mentally tough and more socially adaptable than almost all other people on earth.

Exactly. I don't care about Mercedes running up the score or whatever. It's a culture thing. As a coach, you need every player obeying coaching signs. You see these things in HS baseball, but players should know better before they get to the MLB level.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I am not one to wish ill will or health on someone, but man.  That might be what it takes to make this TLR experiment as short as possible.  I would literally take ANYONE over him.  

TLR is just a dinosaur.

This has nothing to do with age either. Dusty Baker is over 70, but he has adapted to the modern game. Being upset over unwritten rules shit is one thing, but eliminaing shifts is the thing that will lose us a lot of games in the long run.

Just now, manbearpuig said:

Same.

Like...I just don't see any other way this isn't a multi-year thing.  Its either he steps away, or he's here until he can't physcially do it any more.  He's never getting fired, and the Sox are going to be good, so they won't move on do to poor performance.  Health issues is the only way.

Its terrible, but man he's just such a debbie downer on what would otherwise be a super-fun, swaggy and new-age team.  I literally hate him.  Its terrible.  

• Haha 1

So instead of encouraging his star rookie slugger who is a designated HITTER and at many points in this young season won or carried the team single handily Tony uses the opportunity to criticize him publicly and will “punish” him. Stfu. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Like...I just don't see any other way this isn't a multi-year thing.  Its either he steps away, or he's here until he can't physcially do it any more.  He's never getting fired, and the Sox are going to be good, so they won't move on do to poor performance.  Health issues is the only way.

Its terrible, but man he's just such a debbie downer on what would otherwise be a super-fun, swaggy and new-age team.  I literally hate him.  Its terrible.  

I updated my original post that I responded to you.

Just now, ShoeLessRob said:

So instead of encouraging his star rookie slugger who is a designated HITTER and at many points in this young season won or carried the team single handily Tony uses the opportunity to criticize him publicly and will “punish” him. Stfu. 

Or he's you know trying not to get him beaned tonight.  Clearly the Twins were upset, the Turtle was staring down the Sox' dugout.  TLR is just doing what's expected in MLB.  If you don't like it take it up with the Twins, as they seemed pretty pissed.

• Like 1