The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

4 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

You know how my theory for the TLR hire is that quite simply the guy they want to lead this decade of Sox baseball wasn’t/isn’t available yet.  So hire TLR as a little placeholder.  

But maybe the end game of this plan is to have TLR vacate the seat by June and Ozzie is forced to step in.  The rest is history.  

If that’s the case then they should have stuck with Renteria. 

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

I would love that. ESPN 30 for 30 should do an entire show on Ozzie. I know most of the country wouldn't care to watch, but it could be so well done that it'd be interesting for all. He had Chicago in his hip pocket, coulda probably been manager forever and unofficial Mayor of Rush Street but his ego/mouth whatever u want to call it, ruined his managerial career. I'm glad he's been in the studio for some time now. I don't get the show here. I bet he's entertaining. I've always had trouble understanding him listening to interviews, though, when he starts talking fast.

Ozzie let his kid and Joe Cowley ruin it for him here. He’d still be better than TLR though. 

4 hours ago, fathom said:

Just let Abreu be the Player-Manager

I was super excited post-Ozzie when there was rumors that Konerko as player-manager was being considered. It may have never been real but come on. If there is one thing we have learned from the last few years of white sox baseball is that managers can only hurt baseball teams. You could hire a team dad and outsource in game management to text voting from the fans like it's love island and probably be around the same level as an mlb manager.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I was super excited post-Ozzie when there was rumors that Konerko as player-manager was being considered. It may have never been real but come on. If there is one thing we have learned from the last few years of white sox baseball is that managers can only hurt baseball teams. You could hire a team dad and outsource in game management to text voting from the fans like it's love island and probably be around the same level as an mlb manager.

Lol, brilliant. You should propose that to Manfred. He’s crazy enough he may go for it! 😂

2 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

It is uncanny the ability this organization has for making the fans hate the next manager worse than the previous one after thinking it couldn't get any worse.

Kind of like the Bears and QB's

Anyone but Cutler!!

*signs Glennon* Who the fuck?! Mike Glennon? Seriously?

*trades up for Trubisky* Trading up for this fucking guy?!

*trades for Foles* Oh what the fuck!!

I've had a chance to sleep on this, and I'm still pissed.  No, pissed isn't the right word.  I can't say I'm disappointed, because that would insinuate that I expected something different from LaRussa.  I'm not terribly surprised, either.  I do feel bad for the players.  They have a manager that doesn't back them up and goes so far as to publicly trash one of his own players and then publicly praise the other team for plunking one of his own.

The argument that TLR is "making this about himself to pull the focus from the players" is bullshit.  How he's comporting himself is how he actually feels.  He's stuck in the old days and wants one of the most dynamic, fun teams in the league to play by the unwritten rules and not be themselves.

Ozzie was a bag of shit for quitting on the team when he decided he wanted to go to Miami.  What LaRussa is doing is much worse.  Ozzie would have still stood up for his guys.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Kind of like the Bears and QB's

Anyone but Cutler!!

*signs Glennon* Who the fuck?! Mike Glennon? Seriously?

*trades up for Trubisky* Trading up for this fucking guy?!

*trades for Foles* Oh what the fuck!!

It's definitely something Chicago sports do well. 

Ventura, Ricky and now TLR. Maybe we can dig up Jim Leyland out of retirement. Or maybe Billy Martin. Or would those actually be better options?

Edited by RagahRagah

Just so everyone knows, this whole fiasco is dominating the baseball subreddit (with fans of every team pretty much siding with the Sox players). Not the fact that we've already had five no-hitters this season.

• Like 2

At least from what I can see on Twitter, there's not any national sports writers, local sports writers, players, former players, fans of the Sox or other teams that agree with LaRussa.  No one.

Those of us old enough to have a lot of work experience have most likely worked for a terrible boss.  Imagine being part of a team that is one of the best at what you do and having a boss like TLR.  This team is succeeding in spite of him.  My fear is that things will start to fall apart if this keeps up.  How long before players start going to their agents or to Hahn saying they don't want to work here anymore?

The Sox players know TLR is a senile old man with cognitive loss from all the years of drinking. They don't need to like him to win. I have been on winning teams where we all hated our coach. As long as the players stick together they can be a winning team. It is when you have different groups within a team pulling in different directions that the trouble starts.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, brijames1957 said:

The Sox players know TLR is a senile old man with cognitive loss from all the years of drinking. They don't need to like him to win. I have been on winning teams where we all hated our coach. As long as the players stick together they can be a winning team. It is when you have different groups within a team pulling in different directions that the trouble starts.

That's a good point.  I would assume/hope that the players are unified.

48 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

It is uncanny the ability this organization has for making the fans hate the next manager worse than the previous one after thinking it couldn't get any worse.

White Sox fans are to managers what Bears fans are to starting quarterbacks by week 6 of the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, brilliant. You should propose that to Manfred. He’s crazy enough he may go for it! 😂

Manfred is too busy evaluating the study he commissioned about the feasibility of pitchers hand out....it'll speed up the game.

• Haha 1