The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

30 minutes ago, tray said:

Players should heed their Manager's direction. The take sign was on and everybody knew it.

It was a foolish and selfish move by Yermin. He is still one of my favorite players but that was a cheap shot and  whether or not you think it was, the other team and their fans did.

In basketball when a team has an insurmountable lead near the end of the game, BOTH teams put their scrubs in.  It is an unwritten rule. There is a reason for that.

You don't send LeBron in to  put a dunk demonstration on. 

Hard to teach some people lessons that they  refuse to learn, including good sportsmanship.  Carry on.

Do you honestly think that Lebron hasn't been in a blowout game in which He dunked on a clearly inferior player?  Do you really want to go with this

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Do you honestly think that Lebron hasn't been in a blowout game in which He dunked on a clearly inferior player?  Do you really want to go with this

This took me 8 seconds to find. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 3

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

This isn’t even a good analogy anyway. You can’t run out the clock in baseball. You have still have to go to the plate and win or fail. Asking a player to go to the plate and fail is ludicrous.

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

This isn’t even a good analogy anyway. You can’t run out the clock in baseball. You have still have to go to the plate and win or fail. Asking a player to go to the plate and fail is ludicrous.

There really isn't a good analogy anywhere, baseball has a bunch of stupid unwritten rules that are supposed to be about sportsmanship but are mostly about ego 

41 minutes ago, tray said:

Players should heed their Manager's direction. The take sign was on and everybody knew it.

It was a foolish and selfish move by Yermin. He is still one of my favorite players but that was a cheap shot and  whether or not you think it was, the other team and their fans did.

In basketball when a team has an insurmountable lead near the end of the game, BOTH teams put their scrubs in.  It is an unwritten rule. There is a reason for that.

You don't send LeBron in to  put a dunk demonstration on. 

Hard to teach some people lessons that they  refuse to learn, including good sportsmanship.  Carry on.

So then why didn't your boy put in the "scrubs?" Isn't it partially his fault for allowing his starting DH to hit there?

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

There really isn't a good analogy anywhere, baseball has a bunch of stupid unwritten rules that are supposed to be about sportsmanship but are mostly about ego 

As I've always said: maybe they were never written for a reason, because they're bullshit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

If there were a basketball analogy, it would be like saying a player ought to miss free throws with a big lead. A batter has no choice but to take a shot when his turn comes up unlike basketball.

1 minute ago, Kalapse said:

It's an insular sport with limitless unwritten rules and they wonder why it's dying.

It's made national headlines and I can only image what sports fans that don't follow baseball think. 

"Wait, you're telling me the White Sox manager is mad at his own player for hitting a home run and wanted him to not swing, apologized to the other team for it, then the next day the player got hit by a pitch, and the manager said it's OK that he got hit?" 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tray said:

Old school baseball would have called for Mercedes to get a shave at 95mph on his next plate appearance,

You don't let a guy show you up, show your team up, and show your fans up in their stadium.

It's that simple. Baldelli asked for something that was intended to make the same point as the old school knock-down pitch, without risking injury.

If you handled it  differently as Twins manager  OK but your fans and players would think you were a pussy.

You thinking there was no injury risk alone shows how ignorant you are here.

4 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

The absolute arrogance behind his "Lance has a locker. I have an office." Wow. Way to win over the clubhouse, dripping of condescension.

Fuck LaRussa forever and always.

We desparately need new ownership before this dynasty in the making becomes unglued.

Just now, Tony said:

It's made national headlines and I can only image what sports fans that don't follow baseball think. 

"Wait, you're telling me the White Sox manager is mad at his own player for hitting a home run and wanted him to not swing, apologized to the other team for it, then the next day the player got hit by a pitch, and the manager said it's OK that he got hit?" 

Seriously, what are new fans supposed to do with this? The whole notion of unwritten rules is beyond fucking stupid and no new fans are going to buy into it, they're going to be turned off immediately. Just watch the Jomboy video, that's what new fans are doing, speaking of something that's the opposite and great for baseball, that guy.

He was never in the right! If a team doesn’t want the opposition to hit the baseball, they have the option of walking him or striking him out. Other than that they have no recourse. None. The entire turn of events is farcical.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, bmags said:

If I was Baldelli I'd do nothing.

If I'm the league I'm fining baldelli and scrub pitcher

If I'm TLR I stick up for nobody coming after my players

And if I'm cranky TLR that actually is upset about my player not taking his sign, I'm addressing it in the clubhouse but not mentioning it to media.

Something being completely ignored in the sign gate situation is that Astudillo was literally catching the ball and starting to throw - there was no pause. Yermin didn't step out of the box so he wouldn't have been able to even get a sign with the time between pitches.

• Like 1

Don’t know if it’s been said yet- but this is absolutely horrific way to attract free agents if LaRussa continues to be the manager going forward. Who would want to play for this clown? Not only is he a dinosaur, but he throws his players under the bus as well

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Don’t know if it’s been said yet- but this is absolutely horrific way to attract free agents if LaRussa continues to be the manager going forward. Who would want to play for this clown? Not only is he a dinosaur, but he throws his players under the bus as well

Lance Lynn is the one guy in the clubhouse who has expressed an old school mentaility. The fact he is the most vocal guy on this says everything about the situation. If TLR doesn’t have Lynn on this he has nobody.

• Like 1