The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

28 minutes ago, Tony said:

How has Rick not had an aneurysm at this point? Spend 3+ years building a roster you think can compete, and this is the guy you have running the show. 

I'm shocked he hasn't resigned.  I thought he was gone the moment TLR was announced.

9 minutes ago, macsandz said:

Run scores. Tie game. 

So that's a win? 

Let's see what the score is in an hour, and if that 1 run won the game. Right now....it didn't earn them a win. 

Stop giving away outs for less runs. 

• Like 2

In the end, this isn’t about a rookie “missing” a sign — or downright ignoring it; it’s about a manager that has lost touch with the game. Today’s game. He said that Mercedes isn’t playing his game; he’s playing Major League Baseball, in response to Mercedes saying that he only knows how to play his way. 

Well, Tony, you’re right; he’s playing Major League Baseball. It’s just not your Major League Baseball, and that’s what you continue to fail to comprehend. 

If Tony La Russa insists on playing the fun police role, and he insists on throwing his players under the bus in the name of dinosaur-age unwritten rules, then his career is going to suffer the same fate of the dinosaur age… extinction. 

Get with the times. After all, the team you’re managing has donned “change the game” as their marketing slogan for the past two seasons. Maybe it’s time their manager gets on board before he “gets run over,” as Tim Anderson said a couple of years ago about people offended by the evolution of baseball.

https://whitesoxdaily.substack.com/p/here-we-go-with-the-unwritten-rules?r=ku3nf

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have to say, I didn't love the hire, but I wasn't one of the people that absolutely loathed it either.  Since the hire was announced, everything has gotten worse.  The DUI, the HOF baseball person nonsense.  And while that is more critical than anything that happens on the field, he has been a disaster on the field.  And while I'm not one to criticize every lineup, bullpen move and bunt, Tony has been a disaster with game management.  And even more of a disaster with managing the players.  Calling out your own players?  Defending teams for throwing at your guys?  What the hell world is this?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I have to say, I didn't love the hire, but I wasn't one of the people that absolutely loathed it either.  Since the hire was announced, everything has gotten worse.  The DUI, the HOF baseball person nonsense.  And while that is more critical than anything that happens on the field, he has been a disaster on the field.  And while I'm not one to criticize every lineup, bullpen move and bunt, Tony has been a disaster with game management.  And even more of a disaster with managing the players.  Calling out your own players?  Defending teams for throwing at your guys?  What the hell world is this?

Thing is the writing was clearly on the wall from the get-go. All of this was so very predictable.

If Tony had framed this as Mercedes being openly insubordinate by knowingly disobeying a take sign, I think he wins the discussion.  That isn't an unwritten rule of baseball.  That is a (usually) written rule of every workplace.  Yermin has already had some trouble following basic rules this year when given his one shot.

It was such an odd way to present it, as a disrespect to the game.

Edited by Superstar Lamar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

I have been reporting any wishing of harm onto Sox employees. If I see something that falls into that category, I report. 

This is profoundly untrue.  What you report is not anything like that 

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

This is profoundly untrue.  What you report is not anything like that 

Somebody yesterday wished that LaRussa choked on something and subsequently never managed again. How is that not wishing harm on a Sox employee?

And yes, I reported it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Somebody yesterday wished that LaRussa choked on something and subsequently never managed again. How is that not wishing harm on a Sox employee?

And yes, I reported it. 

Are you 12? Serious question.

Edited by ChiHawks10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

If Tony had framed this as Mercedes being openly insubordinate by knowingly disobeying a take sign, I think he wins the discussion.  That isn't an unwritten rule of baseball.  That is a (usually) written rule of every workplace.  Yermin has already had some trouble following basic rules this year when given his one shot.

TLR would have had a hard time trying to frame it that way because it's pretty clearly not at all what happened. He lied about what he saw (or he's struggling with basic cognitive functions) and lying about what he did.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

TLR would have had a hard time trying to frame it that way because it's pretty clearly not at all what happened. He lied about what he saw (or he's struggling with basic cognitive functions) and lying about what he did.

I read on another site the mlbtv people were indicating that Yermin acknowleged that he did see the take sign.

35 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Yes, this was my instinctive take. Defying a coach’s signs is unquestionably wrong. This is what Tony should’ve focused entirely on, as he would’ve been 100% correct. 

The unwritten rules, sportsmanship, etc. aren’t really relevant and turned something he was a slam dunk correct on into a life of its own. 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

So that's a win? 

Let's see what the score is in an hour, and if that 1 run won the game. Right now....it didn't earn them a win. 

Stop giving away outs for less runs. 

Lets check.

It won them the game.

• Thanks 2