The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

As I've said the unwritten rules here are bullshit but TLR was correct that the Twins were a) not happy and b) would retaliate.  So clearly there are times when you don't swing in order to not get beaned the next day.  Now, that is ABSOLUTE HORSESHIT and one of the main reasons the game we love struggles at times to connect with fans -- but TLR was correct about it.

yeah but he was more mad about the "disrespect" towards the game that yermin showed.... mostly that;s what i heard him go on and on about.

Just now, harkness99 said:

yeah but he was more mad about the "disrespect" towards the game that yermin showed.... mostly that;s what i heard him go on and on about.

It's bullshit that it's "disrespect" but the Twins thought so too so HOF baseball guy was correct here.  I think baseball needs a 10 run rule.  If it's a 10 run game after the 7th it's a mercy.  Would solve a lot of these issues.

• Thanks 1

As I've said the unwritten rules here are bullshit but TLR was correct that the Twins were a) not happy and b) would retaliate.  So clearly there are times when you don't swing in order to not get beaned the next day.  Now, that is ABSOLUTE HORSESHIT and one of the main reasons the game we love struggles at times to connect with fans -- but TLR was correct about it.

Elite man management that us posters would never understand like larussa and you; both elite managers of men.

Rule 1 of man management; make everyone who you lead hate your guts, question your level of intelligence, and publicly ridicule you repeatedly.

Rule 2, double down and dig an even deeper grave of disdain among the group and assure none of them respect you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Sometimes people think there's a line that shouldn't be crossed. Sometimes, you need to cross that line repeatedly, to prove the line shouldn't exist. This is one of those situations. So fuck the Twins for not being happy and retaliating. And fuck TLR for throwing his player under the bus, and making a big deal about something nobody was talking about, until he opened his senile mouth.

• Like 1

It's bullshit that it's "disrespect" but the Twins thought so too so HOF baseball guy was correct here.  I think baseball needs a 10 run rule.  If it's a 10 run game after the 7th it's a mercy.  Would solve a lot of these issues.

A professional sport needs a slaughter rule? Lol

It's honestly amazing you even feel that typing that makes sense. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 3

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

A mercy rule. In professional sports. LOL.

I've read it all.

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

A mercy rule. In professional sports. LOL.

I've read it all.

Eh, it would fix this issue. It sounds dumb but this is just a baseball thing.  I remember in college our dipshit manager who played low level pro ball (never got above low A and was quite bitter about it) told us to go up and swing at the 1st pitch when we were down 11 runs in the 9th and he got pissed when someone took a few pitches.  In his mind it was somehow disrespectul of us to try and come back.  I mean we had no shot but it's sports, you still try right?

This shit is permeated throughout all levels of old school meathead baseball.  One way to fix it is to just give an incentive to have a 10 run lead headed to the 8th.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Except Yermin Mercedes is an adult, and seeing he is a 28 year old career minor league player making his ML debut this season......I'd bet all the money in my pockets, against all the money in your pockets, that if you asked Yermin Mercedes 1. Would you take the trade off of hitting a HR for having someone throw behind him and/or hit him with a pitch 2. Would you still have swung 3-0 on that pitch knowing the future outcome......both answers to the question would be "Yes" 

Tony LaRussa called his rookie clueless and made it a point to publicly apoligize to a division rival.....but now the LaRussa stan's are saying "All Tony was doing was protecting Yermin..."

59087771.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean, in your long post about Tony being a 4D savant, you missed that Tony defended the Twins throwing at Yermin and said the ball might have just gotten away from him.

It's not about protecting Yermin. It's about protecting how he thinks baseball should be played. Which is exactly why he said he wanted to come back and manage.

Bingo. Everyone and their unborn children knew that wasn’t going to mesh in today’s game let alone with this swaggy young talented team. 

• Thanks 4
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If you actually analyze it then it definitely raises some good benefits.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, VAfan said:

I've said my peace about this subject. 

Yermin created the controversy, not TLR.

TLR's motive was to protect his player and the team, which was the right motive. 

TLR saw what was coming in retaliation, and was proven correct. 

Yermin could have still had his fun if the 3-0 pitch was called a strike by jacking the hell out of the 3-1 pitch. 

Y'all just want to hate on TLR, but he made the right call here. 

Glad to see your OPINION is the gospel. Everyone else is wrong, what more wisdom can you bestow upon us great one. 

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Except Yermin Mercedes is an adult, and seeing he is a 28 year old career minor league player making his ML debut this season......I'd bet all the money in my pockets, against all the money in your pockets, that if you asked Yermin Mercedes 1. Would you take the trade off of hitting a HR for having someone throw behind him and/or hit him with a pitch 2. Would you still have swung 3-0 on that pitch knowing the future outcome......both answers to the question would be "Yes" 

Tony LaRussa called his rookie clueless and made it a point to publicly apoligize to a division rival.....but now the LaRussa stan's are saying "All Tony was doing was protecting Yermin..."

59087771.jpg

I'm not going to defend his comments to the public on Yermin I think that shit should stay in the clubhouse.  That said, as Tony said about Lynn's comments "he has a locker...I have an office".  If these guys have beef they will talk it out.  I also think that pro sports is a unique work environment (I remember we had a lot of talk about this when Sale stupidly ripped up the jerseys and the LaRoche bullshit) and that regular workplace etiquette doesn't really apply.  I mean this is a sport where guys often have to be physically separated during their "work hours".  It's clearly not applicable to 99.999% of people's experiences at work, and such the media and fans will react.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Eh, it would fix this issue. It sounds dumb but this is just a baseball thing.  I remember in college our dipshit manager who played low level pro ball (never got above low A and was quite bitter about it) told us to go up and swing at the 1st pitch when we were down 11 runs in the 9th and he got pissed when someone took a few pitches.  In his mind it was somehow disrespectul of us to try and come back.  I mean we had no shot but it's sports, you still try right?

This shit is permeated throughout all levels of old school meathead baseball.  One way to fix it is to just give an incentive to have a 10 run lead headed to the 8th.

No. You fix it by getting old school meathead baseball out of the game. Because that bullshit is a big reason people don't find baseball entertaining anymore. And you do that by doing exactly what Yermin did. There's a reason pretty much NOBODY is calling him out. Because nobody gives a fuck about that nonsense anymore. That era of baseball needs to be buried(and hopefully, it soon will be)

If the Twins didn't like the Sox running up the score? Good. They shouldn't. And they shouldn't be expecting any kind of "mercy" as professional athletes. ESPECIALLY playing against a divisional opponent. If they're tired of getting their ass kicked, then throw in the towel, hit the showers, and forfeit.

It's so infuriating to see people continue to support the version of baseball that has been dying for years... People want to be entertained. Guys like TA and Yermin are ENTERTAINING. Pissing off your division opponent is ENTERTAINING. Animosity and rivalries are ENTERTAINING.

27 minutes ago, VAfan said:
54 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Here's my take on the Yermin 3-0 HR. 

1. Tony LaRussa, who has managed more than 5,000 games, knew EXACTLY what would happen if Yermin teed off on a 3-0 pitch up 15-4 in the 9th inning........

Wow, you’ve really lost me with this. But even accepting your view of what happened for sake of argument (I’m not at all convinced there was a real take sign for example), the way he handled it is totally inconsistent with the magnanimous intentions you ascribe to him. Why handle it so publicly? If he was purely worried for Yermin’s “safety” he would be privately upset about the take sign, take Yermin aside in the locker room and say “hey man, just so you know that kind of thing pisses people off. Now you’re going to get thrown at, I’ll protect you of course, but please don’t put me in this position again, ok?” Then he’d raise hell and get thrown out when the Twins plunk Yermin—you know, because it’s HIS PLAYER. I would respect that, even if I think the “unwritten rule” is stupid.

But no, TLR didn’t do that at all. He made a big, grandstanding, ego-driven show about it, infantilized Yermin and showed him up, and then didn’t protect him at all when the time came. There’s zero excuse for that. Zero.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I would actually argue that it could work, but not for the dumb ass reasons the LaRussa stans are talking about. If a rule needs to be put in place to protect old school slapdicks from ruining this game, they can piss off. 

However......in the 9th inning it was 15-4. The Twins decided to save a bullpen arm and put a position player on the mound. We are seeing it happen across baseball this year, and I believe it's mostly to save the bullpen. If Baldelli came out to to homeplate before the 9th inning started and meet with umpires and LaRussa and said "Hey, we're calling this, you guys win, let's go home........it's then up to LaRussa to accept or say "No, we want to play the 9th out" 

Clearly, LaRussa would have accepted and the game would have been over. And I'm not sure how many players would really be upset with it...

• Like 1

It just irritates me more that it’s “disrespectful” to the game for Yermin (a 28 year old rookie who has struggled to get his chance at MLB, who has CARRIED this team at points, and is one of the best stories in this young baseball season) to hit a home run off of a goofy utility player nick named TORTUGA throwing 45 mph Ephesus pitches. It’s DISRESPECTFUL to their team, our team, and the fans to have to watch him up there to pitch. They should just forfeit the game at that point. 

1 minute ago, Paulie4Pres said:

No. You fix it by getting old school meathead baseball out of the game. Because that bullshit is a big reason people don't find baseball entertaining anymore. And you do that by doing exactly what Yermin did. There's a reason pretty much NOBODY is calling him out. Because nobody gives a fuck about that nonsense anymore. That era of baseball needs to be buried(and hopefully, it soon will be)

If the Twins didn't like the Sox running up the score? Good. They shouldn't. And they shouldn't be expecting any kind of "mercy" as professional athletes. ESPECIALLY playing against a divisional opponent. If they're tired of getting their ass kicked, then throw in the towel, hit the showers, and forfeit.

It's so infuriating to see people continue to support the version of baseball that has been dying for years... People want to be entertained. Guys like TA and Yermin are ENTERTAINING. Pissing off your division opponent is ENTERTAINING. Animosity and rivalries are ENTERTAINING.

I don't really see anybody defending it.  I see people trying to figure out how to get rid of it.  If you want a revolution you often have to wait until everybody of the thinking dies out -- literaltly.  I'd prefer not to wait that long.  Introduce a slaughter rule and then you completely eliminate the bullshit surrounding all of this -- including the absurdity of having a position player "save his arm and the bullpen" by lobbing up 45 mph softball pitches.  I mean, why not just throw underhand at that point?  If you think a mercy rule makes a "mockery" of the game, WTF does a position player doing that shit do?

I don't really see anybody defending it.  I see people trying to figure out how to get rid of it.  If you want a revolution you often have to wait until everybody of the thinking dies out -- literaltly.  I'd prefer not to wait that long.  Introduce a slaughter rule and then you completely eliminate the bullshit surrounding all of this -- including the absurdity of having a position player "save his arm and the bullpen" by lobbing up 45 mph softball pitches.  I mean, why not just throw underhand at that point?  If you think a mercy rule makes a "mockery" of the game, WTF does a position player doing that shit do?

This also isn't true because Jayce Tingler is 40 years old and is clearly an old school red ass. 

It won't change until people stop accepting it. And there are already far too many people on this board defending the actions of LaRussa. 

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I played college baseball as well.  I once hit a kid when I was younger because my dipshit coach told me to hit him because he hit a home run and was disrespecting the team in an earlier game.  I did it because he was my coach and it was an unwritten rule and I listened to my coach or else.  The kid lost his spleen but at least we honored old school meathead baseball.  Younger me was a fucking moron for listening to a moron coach.  Luckily we have gotten away from the land of barbarians.  I got into the heat of battle with my opponents.  And as a pitcher sometimes I won, sometimes I lost.  I never blamed the hitter for hitting the home run.  I blamed myself for throwing a shitty pitch or hell tipped my cap on a hitter putting a great swing on an awesome pitch.  My coaches over the years however, they had different thoughts. A lot of it was bad.  It's time to get rid of these dinosaurs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

Just now, Tony said:

I would actually argue that it could work, but not for the dumb ass reasons the LaRussa stans are talking about. If a rule needs to be put in place to protect old school slapdicks from ruining this game, they can piss off. 

However......in the 9th inning it was 15-4. The Twins decided to save a bullpen arm and put a position player on the mound. We are seeing it happen across baseball this year, and I believe it's mostly to save the bullpen. If Baldelli came out to to homeplate before the 9th inning started and meet with umpires and LaRussa and said "Hey, we're calling this, you guys win, let's go home........it's then up to LaRussa to accept or say "No, we want to play the 9th out" 

Clearly, LaRussa would have accepted and the game would have been over. And I'm not sure how many players would really be upset with it...

Guys will be upset with it. As a player, I would absolutely be upset with it. Guys want their at bats. They want their innings. They want to play. You do that enough times in a season, and it's costing guys hits, RBIs, home runs, walks, strikeouts, etc.

Also, most competitive individuals want to finish out the game... 

I'm surprised TLR doesn't have a problem with Hendriks hooting and hollering out there before he blows a game. He needs to STFU until he starts earning him contract. Dude acts like a baffoon and doesn't get the job done. 

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, VAfan said:

But as fun as Yermin is, if he doesn't play for the team, and decides to just chuck the signs and do his thing, he's not helping the club as much as he could be. 

JFC, how obtuse are you?

Edited by champagne030
  • Thanks 1