The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

8 hours ago, VAfan said:

Here's my take on the Yermin 3-0 HR. 

1. Tony LaRussa, who has managed more than 5,000 games, knew EXACTLY what would happen if Yermin teed off on a 3-0 pitch up 15-4 in the 9th inning. 

2. TLR KNEW, I'm sure because he'd seen it happen before many many times, that the Twins would be pissed, AND WOULD THROW THE BASEBALL AT YERMIN or another Sox player in retaliation because of Yermin's swing. 

3. TLR also KNEW that the risk of injury to his player from being thrown at, while not high, was INFINITELY more important than hitting a HR or a base hit in the 15-4 blowout and showing up the Twins. 

4. So, to PROTECT HIS PLAYER, and HIS TEAM, TLR gave the TAKE sign to Yermin on the 3-0 pitch.

5. This was ABSOLUTELY the correct call.  

6. TLR was thinking AHEAD at the repercussions of swinging 3-0. 

7. Yermin, meanwhile, was completely consumed into himself when he ignored the TAKE sign and swung away. He didn't know the likely repercussions, because he'd NEVER been in this situation in a major league game.  Tony LaRussa, on the other hand, had managed more than 5,000 such games. 

8. So when Yermin ignored the take sign and hit the HR, LaRussa said he would be disciplined, because he put his health and the team at risk. Whatever discipline it was did not keep Yermin out of the next two games, so it was not severe. But it was enough to get across the point that you need to respect the take sign. There was a logical reason behind it meant to protect his health and the team health. 

9. LaRussa's other comment about Yermin "playing his game" was also appropriate. Players have to play for the team. Tony isn't reigning them in for no reason. He said if he's swung away at 3-1, he would have been fine with it.  But LaRussa knew were the line was in the Twins eyes, and he was 100% correct about that when the Twins threw at Yermin the next game. 

10. Who started the dissension here?  Not TLR.  He put on a take sign that NO ONE would have known about if Yermin hadn't blown it off.

11. The controversy, and the risk, was started by Yermin Mercedes, who ignored the sign because he couldn't help himself, and who certainly wasn't thinking through the consequences. 

12. I'm not defending in any way the Twins getting pissed and throwing at Yermin.  But it was nearly 100% certain to happen once Yermin jacked the ball out of the park. And TLR knew it. 

13. So, I think TLR was the ONLY one thinking ahead, and the only one to put Yermin's health and the team ahead of a meaningless HR in the 9th inning of a 15-4 game. 

14. When I read that Yermin had hit the HR, I personally didn't have a problem with it. Now that I've read some articles about it and realized WHY TLR put on the take sign, I believe that TLR is right. 

15. This has NOTHING TO DO with Old School v. New School.  It has to do with TLR knowing, because he's managed 5,000+ baseball games, EXACTLY what was going to happen if Yermin jacked that 3-0 pitch.  He also KNEW that the game hadn't changed to the point where the Twins would just overlook this and not retaliate. Anyone thinking that WOULDN"T happen is just naive. 

16. Lastly, a lot is being made of TLR not having a problem with the Twins reaction.  I don't think he encouraged or condoned it.  I just think he knew that was going to happen, and when it did, it drove home the point of why he gave Yermin the take sign in the first place. 

17. There have been a LOT of guys injured over the years from being hit by a pitched ball.  There have been ZERO games outcomes changed by swinging at a 3-0 pitch with a 15-4 lead in the 9th inning. 

18. So, anyone criticizing TLR is effectively ignoring the risks of the former for something that might be fun, but has ZERO benefit to winning a baseball game, which is the point of playing them. 

I'm not apologizing for TLR here. I'm saying he was WAY more savvy about the situation than any of his critics have been. And certainly WAY more savvy than Yermin Mercedes, who appears to have only been thinking about himself. 

It's ok to criticize him, it really is.  He has been bad strategically and now personably with this team.  It can change, but all of the above is a white wash of a terrible reaction to a fun play.   Mercedes did what he should have done for his livelihood, he wasn't clueless, he wasn't stupid, and he wasn't wrong.   I also don't believe that the take sign was given because McEwing didn't say shit about it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, VAfan said:

You missed the TLR quote where he said if it was 3-1, he was fine with hitting the crap out of the ball. 

TLR KNEW where the line was in the Twins eyes, and he was proven 100% correct in that assessment. 

Tony also said he didn't think they were throwing at his player, and even if they were it was all right. He had a million opportunities to protect his guy, and took none of them. This wasn't about protecting Mercedes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Seriously. What is this, little league? These are grown ass men being paid to play a game and ENTERTAIN us. If they can put up 30 runs, I want to see them put up 30 runs. If you don't have any pitchers left, well, sorry? Especially a division opponent. Eat up every single pitcher they've got. The MLB season is a marathon, and wearing down your opponent will pay dividends down the line.

Taking your foot off the gas is one of the dumbest things to do in sports. I absolutely cannot stand it.

You’re also asking a 28 year old who has battled to get his shot in the majors to skip on a chance to do some damage & improve his numbers in order to prevent the other team’s feelings from getting hurt.  It’s mind boggling stupid all around.

• Like 4

Tony La Russa doesn't think there's a rift in the Chicago White Sox's clubhouse, but some players have indicated publicly that they disagree with the Hall of Fame manager's comments about rookie slugger Yermin Mercedes.

La Russa said that when he walked around the clubhouse, no one was giving him "the Heisman." The manager was adamant that he's simply trying to teach good sportsmanship to a rookie.

"If you're going to tell me that sportsmanship and the respect for the game of baseball and respect for your opponent is not an important priority, I can't disagree with you more," La Russa said. "... You think you need more [runs] to win, you keep pushing. If you think you have enough, respect the game and opposition. Sportsmanship."

La Russa didn't expect the story to last several days.

"I'm surprised I'm getting so many questions on this," La Russa said. "It's not much to-do about nothing. It's much to-do about a little bit."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31472069/chicago-white-sox-manager-tony-la-russa-says-respect-game-important-priority

When you rewind the tape and consider the decision made in the moment, Mercedes’ reasons are obvious. And Chicago’s rationale for putting La Russa in charge of this team — currently the best in the AL despite him — is even harder to square.

In a dream scenario, the player makes the MLB roster when spring training concludes. If so, for every day on the MLB roster he’ll earn roughly $3,000 a day, meaning he’ll make more every day than he ever made in a month in his minor league career. And the club will pay for “first class hotel accommodations” as he settles into the city with his new team.

But even if the player doesn’t make the MLB roster, his minor league pay will go from roughly $2,000 a month to a minimum of $46,000 a year. That player will go from making so little that he will need to earn enough in the offseason (or get help from friends and family) to support his baseball career to making solid money.

And if that player gets to the majors for even one day. His minor league salary gets another massive boost. A player with MLB time has a minimum salary in the minors of a little more than $90,000 a year.

Swinging on 3-0 is increasingly common in MLB, nearly doubling in frequency over the past decade.

There have only been seven 3-0 pitches thrown by position players pitching this year. There were only five in 2020 and 29 in the 2019 season. In the last season La Russa managed, 2011, there was precisely one all year. (For the record, then-White Sox catcher James McCann swung and singled on one of the 2019 pitches.)

If the vibe is that the game is over, maybe Mercedes could be credited with trying to just end the Twins’ misery and get things over with. You’ll recall that Astudillo lobbed a 47.1 mph pitch up there. That made it extremely unlikely Mercedes was going to hit a home run! It’s the slowest pitch on record that has left the park.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, VAfan said:

I don't have a problem with running up the score. I didn't have a problem with Yermin swinging.

Buf if I KNOW, because I've managed 5,000+ baseball games, that hitting a HR in that situation is going to get the other team to throw at my player, then I'm giving him a TAKE SIGN 100% of the time for that one pitch.  Because the risk of him getting hurt is real.  Winning 16-4 instead of 15-4 is completely meaningless. 

Stop using his 5,000 games of experience as a justification for anything he does.  76 year old Zombie La Russa is clearly not the same guy he once was and guess what else risks getting his players hurt?  Telling the media he’s ok with the opposing team hitting them.  I get you must defend Tony at all costs, but you’ve legit lost your mind if you believe any of this nonsense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In 2020, he got a cup of coffee. And this season he got his first real shot — a 28-year-old catcher who isn’t defensively trusted to catch, and is thus totally dependent on his bat to justify his place on the roster. So far, so great.

But Mercedes is still only making the league minimum ($570,500) and still lives in a precarious position, long-term. Despite the warm and fuzzy sheen of his trajectory right now, his presence (and Astudillo’s, for that matter) in the big leagues must be, in part, credited to cold roster calculations that make a hitter with any level of experience at catcher extra useful. 

It will be at least 2024 before Mercedes even has the chance to earn money based on his production through MLB’s byzantine arbitration system — at which point every home run and RBI will come with a very real cash value. Perhaps even more likely is the possibility he will also bounce around before then and need to point to his statistics as leverage for opportunities and marginally higher payment.

That’s what makes La Russa’s pie-in-the-sky invocation of some universal sportsmanship code so openly out of touch. 

This is not analogous to similar running up the score controversies in other sports. A young NBA player with the chance to hit a three or dunk in the closing seconds of a blowout is ultimately not affecting his finances either way, and he’s certainly not forced to choose between a faux pas or a negative mark on his stats. Specifically because Mercedes plays Major League Baseball, as La Russa haughtily says, he has long known the difference between a hitless at-bat and a shot at a slugging percentage boost.

It’s not killer instinct; it’s survival instinct.

https://sports.yahoo.com/yermin-mercedes-home-run-swing-makes-far-more-sense-than-the-white-sox-hiring-tony-la-russa-171458168.html

8 hours ago, VAfan said:

You missed the TLR quote where he said if it was 3-1, he was fine with hitting the crap out of the ball. 

TLR KNEW where the line was in the Twins eyes, and he was proven 100% correct in that assessment. 

So 3-1 is ok, but 3-0 is not?  The hitter has to pass on the best pitch he’ll see all count so the pitcher has a chance to come back and win the at-bat?

Also, how come using a position player as the pitcher is respecting the game?  I’d be pretty be embarrassed if that little butter ball got me out throwing 47 MPH whatever the fuck those pitches were.  So the opposing team can embarrass our hitters, but we have to stand pat and pretend not to try if it reaches this magical 3-0.  If the Twins don’t want to get embarrassed further, maybe try using a real fucking pitcher instead their utility guy.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, harkness99 said:

The problem is that half of your novela here is based off of a lie and something that never happened.

There was no take sign - go back and watch the game. At the end no one is even looking at the dugout because there is no point.  They probably expected Yermin not to swing - but all the "i ran to the top of the dugout" ect ect - that's all a bunch of BS.

This theory that Larussa was playing chess and not checkers made me fucking laugh so hard... cmon man

If this is what he was doing - he would have said that the 20 times he was asked about it.

Just no way man

BUT 5,000 GAMES - HOW MANY HAVE YOU MANAGED!!

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/yermin-mercedes-homers-annoys-own-manager/

In La Russa’s very mild defense, he had tried to give Mercedes the take sign. Now, I’m not sure how Mercedes was supposed to see it. Nobody is looking for a sign in an 11-run game and Astudillo was doing his best to get on Rob Manfred’s good side by taking all of two seconds between pitches. Still, a missed sign is a missed sign, and La Russa wasn’t out of line to bring it up with Mercedes. That conversation should stay behind closed doors, though, particularly since it wasn’t just one isolated remark. La Russa wasn’t done when he called his rookie slugger “clueless,” adding: “There will be a consequence he has to endure here within our family,” the manager said. “It’s a learning experience.”

Let’s pause to consider the inanity here. It’s weird enough that players are supposed to stop trying just because they’re ahead by a certain number of runs (the exact number, of course, remains ambiguous) or treat these at-bats like they don’t count; it’s not like the arbiter is going to toss out stats accumulated against position players come contract negotiation time. It’s just as puzzling that it’s entirely acceptable for a team to dispatch the backup catcher to lob lollipops but uncouth for a hitter to swing after working a 3-0 count. 

There’s an added wrinkle at play that I think gets overlooked in these situations. Minnesota was only throwing Astudillo to save the bullpen, which means that they were effectively surrendering early so as to be more competitive in the next game, a matchup against these very same White Sox. The burden placed on the hitter in this situation is just odd. The defensive team is transparently putting as little effort as possible into fulfilling their obligations, for the express purpose of saving their fire for the next game, and yet it’s the hitter’s job to help steer the inning to a close. I don’t have any problems with Minnesota employing such gamesmanship, but it seems that the least Chicago — or any other team in that situation — can do is swing for the fences.

I’m not a Chicago White Sock, so I can’t say definitively. But from a distance, it seems a clumsy fit so far, and the situation is only growing tenser. In an Instagram post from NBC Sports Chicago that highlighted Mercedes’ and La Russa’s comments, Anderson weighed in, writing “The game wasn’t over! Keep doing you big daddy,” which triggered a positive response from Mercedes. After last night’s game, Lance Lynn also defended his teammate, saying “If a position player is on the mound, there are no rules. Let’s get the damn game over with. And if you have a problem with whatever happened, then put a pitcher out there.” It’s not quite insubordination, but the episode makes one wonder about the relationship between La Russa and his players. 

Perhaps it doesn’t matter. Plenty of good teams have won with an out-to-lunch manager, or galvanized themselves around a collective dislike of the boss. Still, all things being equal, I’m sure most players would like to play for someone who has their back.

Lost in all this is that Baldelli had FIVE (5) unused relievers on his bench when he inserted Astudillo and made a mockery of the game...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

4 articles in 30 minutes I can only read so much about the same thing

Just trying to give a sample of the scope and scale of how this story has blown up to epic proportions...for those few arguing “let’s just move on, ignore it and it will simply go away.”

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just trying to give a sample of the scope and scale of how this story has blown up to epic proportions...for those few arguing “let’s just move on, ignore it and it will simply go away.”

This thread is almost at 100 pages, last week it was at 75.  It's not going away, no worries about that

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, VAfan said:

Here's my take on the Yermin 3-0 HR. 

1. Tony LaRussa, who has managed more than 5,000 games, knew EXACTLY what would happen if Yermin teed off on a 3-0 pitch up 15-4 in the 9th inning. 

2. TLR KNEW, I'm sure because he'd seen it happen before many many times, that the Twins would be pissed, AND WOULD THROW THE BASEBALL AT YERMIN or another Sox player in retaliation because of Yermin's swing. 

3. TLR also KNEW that the risk of injury to his player from being thrown at, while not high, was INFINITELY more important than hitting a HR or a base hit in the 15-4 blowout and showing up the Twins. 

4. So, to PROTECT HIS PLAYER, and HIS TEAM, TLR gave the TAKE sign to Yermin on the 3-0 pitch.

5. This was ABSOLUTELY the correct call.  

6. TLR was thinking AHEAD at the repercussions of swinging 3-0. 

7. Yermin, meanwhile, was completely consumed into himself when he ignored the TAKE sign and swung away. He didn't know the likely repercussions, because he'd NEVER been in this situation in a major league game.  Tony LaRussa, on the other hand, had managed more than 5,000 such games. 

8. So when Yermin ignored the take sign and hit the HR, LaRussa said he would be disciplined, because he put his health and the team at risk. Whatever discipline it was did not keep Yermin out of the next two games, so it was not severe. But it was enough to get across the point that you need to respect the take sign. There was a logical reason behind it meant to protect his health and the team health. 

9. LaRussa's other comment about Yermin "playing his game" was also appropriate. Players have to play for the team. Tony isn't reigning them in for no reason. He said if he's swung away at 3-1, he would have been fine with it.  But LaRussa knew were the line was in the Twins eyes, and he was 100% correct about that when the Twins threw at Yermin the next game. 

10. Who started the dissension here?  Not TLR.  He put on a take sign that NO ONE would have known about if Yermin hadn't blown it off.

11. The controversy, and the risk, was started by Yermin Mercedes, who ignored the sign because he couldn't help himself, and who certainly wasn't thinking through the consequences. 

12. I'm not defending in any way the Twins getting pissed and throwing at Yermin.  But it was nearly 100% certain to happen once Yermin jacked the ball out of the park. And TLR knew it. 

13. So, I think TLR was the ONLY one thinking ahead, and the only one to put Yermin's health and the team ahead of a meaningless HR in the 9th inning of a 15-4 game. 

14. When I read that Yermin had hit the HR, I personally didn't have a problem with it. Now that I've read some articles about it and realized WHY TLR put on the take sign, I believe that TLR is right. 

15. This has NOTHING TO DO with Old School v. New School.  It has to do with TLR knowing, because he's managed 5,000+ baseball games, EXACTLY what was going to happen if Yermin jacked that 3-0 pitch.  He also KNEW that the game hadn't changed to the point where the Twins would just overlook this and not retaliate. Anyone thinking that WOULDN"T happen is just naive. 

16. Lastly, a lot is being made of TLR not having a problem with the Twins reaction.  I don't think he encouraged or condoned it.  I just think he knew that was going to happen, and when it did, it drove home the point of why he gave Yermin the take sign in the first place. 

17. There have been a LOT of guys injured over the years from being hit by a pitched ball.  There have been ZERO games outcomes changed by swinging at a 3-0 pitch with a 15-4 lead in the 9th inning. 

18. So, anyone criticizing TLR is effectively ignoring the risks of the former for something that might be fun, but has ZERO benefit to winning a baseball game, which is the point of playing them. 

I'm not apologizing for TLR here. I'm saying he was WAY more savvy about the situation than any of his critics have been. And certainly WAY more savvy than Yermin Mercedes, who appears to have only been thinking about himself. 

This is a steaming pile of hot garbage.

The biggest rebuttal to it is that at no time, no time at all, did Tony EVER say ANYTHING about protecting Yermin, or saving his from injury.  It was about protecting the game, and how the game is played.  He also never once tried to protect his player once something did happen.  They threw a fastball behind his guy, and he stayed in the dugout.  Tony never talked about Yermin's health.  Not a single time.  Every chance he got he spoke about respect, and respecting the game.  He DID say how he DIDN'T have a problem with what the Twins did, even when he COULD have mentioned injuries caused by thrown baseballs.

On the bright side, after the stretches made to come up with 18 of these things, you should be limber enough to run a marathon.  Either that or you have a future as a propaganda minister for some despot needing an excuse generator.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Wow, you’ve really lost me with this. But even accepting your view of what happened for sake of argument (I’m not at all convinced there was a real take sign for example), the way he handled it is totally inconsistent with the magnanimous intentions you ascribe to him. Why handle it so publicly? If he was purely worried for Yermin’s “safety” he would be privately upset about the take sign, take Yermin aside in the locker room and say “hey man, just so you know that kind of thing pisses people off. Now you’re going to get thrown at, I’ll protect you of course, but please don’t put me in this position again, ok?” Then he’d raise hell and get thrown out when the Twins plunk Yermin—you know, because it’s HIS PLAYER. I would respect that, even if I think the “unwritten rule” is stupid.

But no, TLR didn’t do that at all. He made a big, grandstanding, ego-driven show about it, infantilized Yermin and showed him up, and then didn’t protect him at all when the time came. There’s zero excuse for that. Zero.

There it is.  If a player injury was his main concern, why did he NEVER PROTECT HIS PLAYER after the Twins threw at him?  He excused it and said he had no problem with it.

8 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Y’all so full of shit acting like this is an issue of some crazy TLR grandpa thinking vs new school baseball.  

bull effing shit.  

Yermin knew exactly what he was doing.  He made the choice to be a punk.  Which is fine.  But he made that choice for whatever reason.   Maybe he wanted to give the Twins a big “F-U”, I dunno.  

But he knew he wasn’t supposed to do that shit.  And he knew there would be consequences.  He wanted to be a punk… and now he along with everyone else is hiding behind this old school vs new school BS.  I know what he did, you know what he did, the whole twins roster knew what he did.  And everyone is pretending they have no idea what the big deal is.  Bull shit.  

He was a punk.  Plain and simple.  Punks get thrown at.  Punks can get hurt.  Punks lead to benches clearing.  Which is fine.  But his ass was getting thrown at the minute he chose to go punk.  

Maybe TLR didn’t want all his guys getting beaned and benches clearing the next day…all cuz of the punk.  

Am I wrong? 

I don't think I have seen the word "punk" used so many times in decades.

7 hours ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

LaRussa handled it all wrong.  All he had to do is approach Mercedes in the clubhouse and tell him "the next time you get a take sign you will take the pitch."  

If he felt he had to say something to the media he could have simply said that Yermin didn't see the take sign and simply reacted to seeing a meatball coming right over the plate.

After the Twins threw at Yermin the next day, he should have said while he understands why the Twins were upset at Yermin, throwing at one of his players for hitting a home run is an unacceptable overreaction and he's glad the umpires stepped in and did the right thing and hopefully this closes the matter.

Discipline your players in private if you feel it necessary but have their backs in public.  Tony did the opposite.

And besides, Yermin did nothing wrong swinging at that pitch and the Twins were just being little babies about it.

If he was really worried about his player, he could have also contacted Baldelli and told him that they fixed it.  But instead he set his player up by publicly making it a big deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

I'm just going to do what the players seem to be doing and block him out.

This season appears to be going in too good of a direction for me to not just bathe in happiness.

Exactly what I've been doing. Then something dumb happens and I'm dragged back to feeling how I felt when they announced the hire. Gotta go back to cheering for the 26 players in the clubhouse and ignore there is even a manager.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Exactly what I've been doing. Then something dumb happens and I'm dragged back to feeling how I felt when they announced the hire. Gotta go back to cheering for the 26 players in the clubhouse and ignore there is even a manager.

Any time you feel your temper changing, drop a mental bath bomb and luxuriate in another win.

• Like 1

The White Sox are the talk of baseball - because of their archaic-thinking manager, not because of their great, inspirational play.

The White Sox have too much pride to allow their lost in the 1950's owner and his manager to derail what they have going.

Edited by GradMc

9 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Y’all so full of shit acting like this is an issue of some crazy TLR grandpa thinking vs new school baseball.  

bull effing shit.  

Yermin knew exactly what he was doing.  He made the choice to be a punk.  Which is fine.  But he made that choice for whatever reason.   Maybe he wanted to give the Twins a big “F-U”, I dunno.  

But he knew he wasn’t supposed to do that shit.  And he knew there would be consequences.  He wanted to be a punk… and now he along with everyone else is hiding behind this old school vs new school BS.  I know what he did, you know what he did, the whole twins roster knew what he did.  And everyone is pretending they have no idea what the big deal is.  Bull shit.  

He was a punk.  Plain and simple.  Punks get thrown at.  Punks can get hurt.  Punks lead to benches clearing.  Which is fine.  But his ass was getting thrown at the minute he chose to go punk.  

Maybe TLR didn’t want all his guys getting beaned and benches clearing the next day…all cuz of the punk.  

Am I wrong? 

Yea you are wrong 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Why does baseball take so much pride in being old fashioned?  If this were basketball, the unwritten rules people would be upset that we weren't using peach baskets anymore, and don't get me started on the jump shot instead of the rightfully just set shot.

The beautiful part about the game is that each generation makes it their own, and plays it the way that they want to play it.  If you aren't supposed to swing 3-0, write the exact parameters in a rulebook, otherwise shut up and play the game.  If you don't want someone swinging 3-0 down 11 against a position player, don't get down 11 and put a position player in to pitch.

9 hours ago, tray said:

Yermin suspected he would be thrown at. That was anticipated by the sports media in both towns. He sheepishly stood there and walked to first.

Dude should have charged the mound and settled this thing himself since he created the situation.

Settle it on the field instead of blaming LaRussa like a pussy.   I sense this thing isn't over until the teams have one of those rhubarbs.

Hopefully no one will get hurt but if they are, maybe that 16th run will end up looking a lot less important.

yeah and get suspended a game when we dont have abreu.. that would have been brilliant.

Also where did he "Blame" La russa?

What the fuck is this post seriously...

• Like 3