The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

Just now, bmags said:

Man CC is so entertaining. I wonder if someone signs him up for a new format. Going to mlb network won't take advantage of how much fun he is.

I could see Barstool possibly hiring him

This whole crazy controversy actually makes me like this team even more.  I don't have to like the manager to really enjoy and root on a bunch of guys who love to play the game together.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I could see Barstool possibly hiring him

Something like that, was also thinking like an hbo max type thing. But yeah he's already got that type format down would just be signing to a spotify/barstool/stadium/etc.

Even going back to the Red Sox series when we had Mendick and Yermin pitch. The Red Sox were TEEING off on us.

How come TLR didn’t have anything to say about that back then?!

Edited by Nick_Schwam
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

He is made for jomboy network

Yeah I mean the streaming/podcast thing he's already great at, just wondering if someone tries at giving him a bigger production.

Anyway it's off topic, he just gives me the same feel as when you first hear Romo where it's like "whoa shit he's good at this."

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.pressherald.com/2021/05/19/unwritten-rules-of-baseball-are-baffling/
Add former White Sox, the eminently quotable Brandon McCarthy...to the Team Yermin supporters list. 

To La Russa’s point, Mercedes did do something major league players just don’t do. ESPN baseball writer Jeff Passan tweeted out the astonishing stat that in the last 20 years, big league players have seen 557 pitches on 3-0 counts with their team leading by 10 runs or more and Mercedes was the first to swing.

This stat is not relevant. When a team is down big in the last inning, the best thing to do is get the ball over the plate. No walks, no high pitch counts to hitters. Get the at-bats over with as soon as possible and get off the field. This was just another example of the Twins being a bad team. They put a guy in there who couldn't even lob it over the plate. Regardless of this situation, it is not against the rules to swing at any 3-0 pitch. I am glad that Mercedes sent this pitch into orbit. 

5 minutes ago, Nick_Schwam said:

Even going back to the Red Sox series when we had Mendick and Yermin pitch. The Red Sox we’re TEEING off on us.

He was probably a couple jack and cokes in taking a little nap. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah I mean the streaming/podcast thing he's already great at, just wondering if someone tries at giving him a bigger production.

Anyway it's off topic, he just gives me the same feel as when you first hear Romo where it's like "whoa shit he's good at this."

I love this, but to be fair it's easy for somebody to sound refreshing and hilarious in their first public, impassioned, profanity-laced tirade. 

5 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

He was probably a couple jack and cokes in taking a little nap. 

I mean seriously though. Sox brought in Yermin to pitch in a 10-4 game. He walked Franchy Cordero to lead off the inning, and then Cordero promptly took second base (defensive indifference). I mean that’s gotta be in the “unwritten rules” somewhere.

Since TLR wants to to be a stickler.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I love this, but to be fair it's easy for somebody to sound refreshing and hilarious in their first public, impassioned, profanity-laced tirade. 

Not at all, that R2C2 podcast series on the ringer has been great for a while. It's too yankees heavy but definitely worth the time.

19 minutes ago, Nick_Schwam said:

Even going back to the Red Sox series when we had Mendick and Yermin pitch. The Red Sox were TEEING off on us.

He only said something because he was asked.  Its not like he called the press together to make a statement about this.  It all started because a rumor started going around (obviously leaked from someone in the Sox org) that LaRussa wasn't happy with the swing.  If that hadn't happened we would have never known about any of this and certainly the media wouldn't have asked LaRussa about it.

46 minutes ago, Quin said:

Well what the fuck do Frank Thomas and Ozzie Guillen know about succeeding with the White Sox that Tony La Russa doesn't?

Yeah what this guy said.  Its not like any of them won a WS with the White Sox.

🙄

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nick_Schwam said:

I mean seriously though. Sox brought in Yermin to pitch in a 10-4 game. He walked Franchy Cordero to lead off the inning, and then Cordero promptly took second base (defensive indifference). I mean that’s gotta be in the “unwritten rules” somewhere.

Since TLR wants to to be a stickler.

Good point.  I suppose TLR's argument defending the opposition in this case would be that its under a 10 run lead so the team should "keep pushing."  If that's the theory, then why give up on the game and throw out position players to pitch?  This whole saga reeks of an old school manager trying to publicly protect his HoF image as an "old school" manager.  It stinks...but I'm glad that the players have insulated themselves, said the right things and just moved on.  I love this team!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Green Line said:

He only said something because he was asked.  Its not like he called the press together to make a statement about this.  It all started because a rumor started going around (obviously leaked from someone in the Sox org) that LaRussa wasn't happy with the swing.  If that hadn't happened we would have never known about any of this and certainly the media wouldn't have asked LaRussa about it.

Rumor?  The guy went out of the dugout to show up Yermin while he was rounding the bases.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Green Line said:

So? Don't play dumb here. It's possible to NOT publicly blurt something that's on your mind when you're asked about it. You know, for fear of it damaging the team and the relationships between the people on it? It's the normal way to handle these kinds of things, actually. It's the reason TA doesn't say "fuck that guy" when people ask him about TLR. It's the reason documentaries like Last Dance are interesting, because you get to hear things people were actually thinking at the time but were too savvy to say out loud. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

So the unwritten rule is just nonsensical bullshit. Because there's absolutely no difference between 3-0 and 3-1 in the context of this game. TLR came out and said "he wishes he could have sent 3 pitchers up to bat". So what he really wanted was for his players to stop trying, and get themselves out. You play until the last out is recorded. Period.

This is all so dumb. Just call the game off when the team puts a position player on the mound. Cause what Tony is advocating is suddenly not trying I guess out of compassion for the opponent. Weird. Or when a position player comes in to pitch, outlaw 3-0 counts. When it's 3-0, order the count now 3-1. I think that's the best solution yet. A 3-0 count automatically becomes 3-1 when a position player takes the mound.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Uh yeah no. Everyone in the game thread immediately knew TLR was going to have an issue with it. Then add to it that this was the first time Tony rose from his coffin Dracula style and came out of the dugout (beside pitcher changes) to animate his displeasure and show the Twins dugout he was "sowwy". 

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

So? Don't play dumb here. It's possible to NOT publicly blurt something that's on your mind when you're asked about it. You know, for fear of it damaging the team and the relationships between the people on it? It's the normal way to handle these kinds of things, actually. It's the reason TA doesn't say "fuck that guy" when people ask him about TLR. It's the reason documentaries like Last Dance are interesting, because you get to hear things people were actually thinking at the time but were too savvy to say out loud.  

I don't think he should have called him out.  I'm just stating facts.  I think everyone needs to get over it, Tony first and foremost.

Just now, ShoeLessRob said:

Uh yeah no. Everyone in the game thread immediately knew TLR was going to have an issue with it. Then add to it that this was the first time Tony rose from his coffin Dracula style and came out of the dugout (beside pitcher changes) to animate his displeasure and show the Twins dugout he was "sowwy". 

No, thats false.  Everybody thought Eaton had a problem with it based on a video of them having what appeared to be a heated conversation.  The TLR stuff didn't start coming out until well after the game was over.

1 minute ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Tony sure has a passion for this unwritten rule crap. I don't like it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Green Line said:

No, thats false.  Everybody thought Eaton had a problem with it based on a video of them having what appeared to be a heated conversation.  The TLR stuff didn't start coming out until well after the game was over.

No, I posted the behind the batter view of Yermins home run that showed Tony standing up on the step complaining the next morning after the game in the winner thread.  It was pretty immediate.  The first comment noticed Tony.

I agree with you Tony needs to get over it. But he keeps compounding it and that is not our fault 

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

No, I posted the behind the batter view of Yermins home run that showed Tony standing up on the step complaining the next morning after the game in the winner thread.  It was pretty immediate.  The first comment noticed Tony. 

I agree with you Tony needs to get over it. But he keeps compounding it and that is not our fault 

Well, now you're talking about the next day.  I thought we were talking about that night.  Thats when everyone was talking about Eaton.