The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

I may not agree with LaRussas response, but let's quit complaining.  We have the best record in the AL (second best overall) with 2 of our premiere players on the disabled list.  It's obvious that Tony's style of managing is working much better with this team than Ricky's relaxed style did in recent years.  I think this team likes to have fun (and I like to see them enjoying themselves) but reigning it in a bit and reminding them there is a job to do seems to be working.  Let's enjoy this season and the beginning of the dynasty happening on the southside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

I may not agree with LaRussas response, but let's quit complaining.  We have the best record in the AL (second best overall) with 2 of our premiere players on the disabled list.  It's obvious that Tony's style of managing is working much better with this team than Ricky's relaxed style did in recent years.  I think this team likes to have fun (and I like to see them enjoying themselves) but reigning it in a bit and reminding them there is a job to do seems to be working.  Let's enjoy this season and the beginning of the dynasty happening on the southside.

I don’t think it’s Tony’s “reigning” them in that’s helping.

We are just lucky to have some outstanding leaders on this team who don’t like losing. Even Billy Hamilton said TA every day every AB is in his ear saying, we can’t lose, and instilling him with confidence.

3 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Well, now you're talking about the next day.  I thought we were talking about that night.  Thats when everyone was talking about Eaton.

No, it was posted immediately after the game on Twitter.  Go ahead and look at it.  I posted it here on the winner thread the next day but it had already generated traction

2 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

The White Sox are 26-16 right now. 

In 2020, they were 32-15 at one point. 

So I’m not sure how obvious it is. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 3

29 minutes ago, Green Line said:

He only said something because he was asked.  Its not like he called the press together to make a statement about this.  It all started because a rumor started going around (obviously leaked from someone in the Sox org) that LaRussa wasn't happy with the swing.  If that hadn't happened we would have never known about any of this and certainly the media wouldn't have asked LaRussa about it.

No comment.

That's it.

No comment.

That ends it all.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Well, now you're talking about the next day.  I thought we were talking about that night.  Thats when everyone was talking about Eaton.

Your timeline is wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is a great point.  For every conversation about not having Eloy and Robert, there should be a conversation about not having Lynn, Kopech, etc, and how much better the pen was under Ricky, even without the supposed upgrade from Hendriks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

+ this

6 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Ricky had a starting rotation that was 2 deep. A DH that couldn’t hit and a dude called Nomar Mazara.

And while losing Eloy and Robert hurts, Vaughn lessens the Eloy blow a bit. 

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

Renteria didn't get fired because of how he managed the first 2/3 of the season.  He got fired because of how he managed the last two weeks.  That will be the test for TLR as well.  This team seems destined for the postseason.  How TLR manages that will be his legacy, not how he managed the regular season.

1 hour ago, sin city sox fan said:

Wait what? Reigning them in? It looks like he's close to losing the clubhouse with his geriatric worldview.. if he hasn't lost it now with the Yermeme insanity. We are winning IN SPITE of LA Russa, not because of him. In actuality we need to KEEP complaining about this until he gets fired as it's actually hurting the team in real time!

*Edit-typos

Edited by Chisoxmb35
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

If la russa is gonna throw players under the bus now with their current record and after a blowout win, I am absolutely terrified over how he'll handle actual adversity.  

1 minute ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

If la russa is gonna throw players under the bus now with their current record and after a blowout win, I am absolutely terrified over how he'll handle actual adversity.  

And how the players will take it when they don't have winning to hide behind.  This team is going to have a 5 or 6 game losing streak at some point this year.  We don't know how they will react to that yet.  It's easy to laugh off Tony when you are winning, but what happens when the pressure is on?

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

Renteria didn't get fired because of how he managed the first 2/3 of the season.  He got fired because of how he managed the last two weeks.  That will be the test for TLR as well.  This team seems destined for the postseason.  How TLR manages that will be his legacy, not how he managed the regular season.

7 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Of course that's the case. 

The issue is there are some here that say "Who cares about Tony, this team is in first place and playing great!"

So were the 2020 White Sox managed by Rick Renteria. We saw what happened at the end of the season when the games mattered most. 

We don't want it to happen again, and we're seeing a lot of warning signs early in the season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is a great point.  For every conversation about not having Eloy and Robert, there should be a conversation about not having Lynn, Kopech, etc, and how much better the pen was under Ricky, even without the supposed upgrade from Hendriks.

Youre ignoring entirely that Tony larussa has single handedly made the rest of the AL play worse and has mentally broken the twins through his sheer intimidation and his 5000 career games of experience and 4d chest abilities. Other teams are playing worse because of Tony so his record being worse than Ricky's is meaningless when you factor in those immense intangibles 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

Sox xW-L is 28-14.  Tony has cost them 2 games with his dumb ass shit and not understanding the rules and negatively impacted several others with terrible personnel decisions.  Its pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that he has been a hinderance to this point.  The club is 26-16 IN SPITE of LaRussa, not due to LaRusaa.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Of course that's the case. 

The issue is there are some here that say "Who cares about Tony, this team is in first place and playing great!"

So were the 2020 White Sox managed by Rick Renteria. We saw what happened at the end of the season when the games mattered most. 

We don't want it to happen again, and we're seeing a lot of warning signs early in the season. 

And there it is.  The margin for error against garbage teams is one thing.  The playoffs will expose those weaknesses.

54 minutes ago, Green Line said:

He only said something because he was asked.  Its not like he called the press together to make a statement about this.  It all started because a rumor started going around (obviously leaked from someone in the Sox org) that LaRussa wasn't happy with the swing.  If that hadn't happened we would have never known about any of this and certainly the media wouldn't have asked LaRussa about it.

Then all he had to say is something like, Yeah we had the take sign on but he missed it, so he just reacted to seeing a meatball coming over the heart of the plate and he swung at it. I guess since we were in a blowout he wasn't really looking for a sign. We talked about it afterwards and it's all taken care of.

45 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

To La Russa’s point, Mercedes did do something major league players just don’t do. ESPN baseball writer Jeff Passan tweeted out the astonishing stat that in the last 20 years, big league players have seen 557 pitches on 3-0 counts with their team leading by 10 runs or more and Mercedes was the first to swing.

How can you say that this stat is not relevant?? This stat proves absolutely that, unwritten or not, everyone was aware of it and followed it. Look at the stat, zero for 557 pitches not broken in 20 years. So it was an idea of sportsmanship that everyone was aware of. So that does give validity to LaRussa being upset. Even if Mercedes didn't know, he was told to take by McEwing. McEwing has said that. I'm tired of people on here lying and saying that Mercedes didn't get the take sign. 

Here's another repeated lie on this topic I'm sick of reading on this post and site. It's the people that claim that LaRussa thinks it's okay for the Twin to throw at Mercedes, to hit Mercedes. These liars claim that LaRussa is more concerned with the unwritten rules than if one of his players getting injured by being hit by a pitch. Mercedes wasn't hit by a pitch, and he wasn't hit by a pitch because the pitcher didn't throw at him; he threw behind Mercedes. There was no chance of Mercedes being injured, and it's a lie to say there was, a lie continually repeated on this site by people to reinforce a ridiculous point. What LaRussa was okay with is that the Twins made their statement about the 3 and O swing without any chance of Mercedes or any other Sox being hurt. That's what LaRussa was fine with, that the incident was over and the Twins made their statement and, again, no chance of someone being hurt from either team. So stop repeating that lie that LaRussa was okay with Mercedes being hit: LaRussa isn't okay with that and no one was hit. 

As a former high school basketball coach who has had to sit players down for taunting the other team, I agree with LaRussa about respecting your opponent and the game and not embarrassing your opponent when they're down. I know showboating and showing another player up is common now, but I still have problems with it and I think LaRussa had a right to be angry, especially when Yermin was told to take the pitch, just like he has the right to be angry that Moncada ran through the hold at 3rd sign and got thrown out at home during the gamed the night before. Sorry, make your old man yells at kids to stay off lawn jokes, but I still believe players should do what their coaches tell them to do and players should respect the game and their opponents. 

Now, if you want to complain about LaRussa on this, there are couple points you could make: First, this stuff never should have gotten out of the clubhouse. I guess the media today makes that all but impossible. Still, I would have like Tony to really, really tried to avoid any questions on this and try to keep it in house. 

And now the thing that really bothers me and has anyone brought this up?  When LaRussa was hired, he was told that stuff like this was gonna happen, excessive celebrations, bat throwing, taunting and showboating. He was told this was gonna happen with this team. Tony made it clear that he understood that players have changed and he's would have to be understanding on this sort of thing. Now, I'm sure this isn't the first thing that a Sox player has done that rubbed TLR wrong, but the 3 and 0 swing was exactly the type of thing he was told would happen, and he replied that he would be, I don't know the right word, "accepting" or and that he could ignore it. And he didn't. This is what bothers me: he is doing exactly what he was told he couldn't do because it would alienate his players, and he said he wouldn't do it, but he did. 

I hope he can learn from this, and I hope he and the players have talked this out, but that he did what he was told not to do and said he wouldn't do, that is cause for concern. So let's deal with that not all the BS made up stuff that's not true. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

If TLR really did yell at Yermin "take, take, take!" it's possible he heard "rake, rake, rake!" and obliged.

It's easy to misunderstand in a stressful situation...Go, Go, Go...