The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

4 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Now you're just playing dumb.  Missed/ignored are word games.  McEwing gave the sign and Mercedes didn't follow it.  Just because McEwing isn't throwing him under the bus like Tony doesn't mean anything.

Just because it doesn't fit the narrative doesn't mean the disctinction isn't important.  Missed means he didn't know.  Ignored means he did.  That is REALLY important to the story at hand here.

Just now, wegner said:

If TLR feels so strongly about this, then he should give an ultimatum...it's me or them....go ahead Tony...

dog.jpg

There's no evidence he feels strongly, lol.  This is a story being strung along by the media.  He's said repeatedly he doesn't think this is a big deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Green Line said:

There's no evidence he feels strongly, lol.  This is a story being strung along by the media.  He's said repeatedly he doesn't think this is a big deal.

It's not man, it's fans and media.  You can keep blaming the media but this thread proves otherwise 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Green Line said:

yeah i agree the media is loving it - but Tony preaching about the rules of sportsmanship over and over made it worse.

He could have made it go away faster.

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's not man, it's fans and media.  You can keep blaming the media but this thread proves otherwise 

Ok.. fans and media.  That doesn't change my point.  The fans on soxtalk and twitter are stringing out a story that TLR himself has said is nothing and that he's not even upset about.  Happy?  I think people on here are just as big of drama queens as teh NY Post!

Edited by Green Line
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, tray said:

Sportsmanship is not asinine. 

This isn't going to get resolved on the internet by Sox fans who criticize LaRussa  for principles like sportsmanship, not running up the score for no reason.

This is between the Twins and Mercedes and that will ultimately be how this gets resolved.  Next time Mercedes night get a brush back pitch behind his heels.

At least Robin Ventura had the balls to charge Nolan Ryan. Unfortunately he got the worst of it.   Not sure who was managing the Sox  that day..

Sportsmanship is not asinine, but you’re a pussy if you don’t charge the mound after being hit.  You live by some seriously fucked up morals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Ok.. fans and media.  That doesn't change my point.  The fans on soxtalk and twitter are stringing out a story that TLR himself has said is nothing and that he's not even upset about.  Happy?  I think people on here are just as big of drama queens as teh NY Post!

I mean in isolation sure it seems stupid,  but it's been two months of bizarre ass shit from TLR that makes it increasingly harder to defend the hire.  But hey I'm glad you and Tony aren't concerned that players on the team are openly saying that it's bullshit 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Again, if Tony has nothing to say, this never gets off of the ground.  But when you say something stupid to the media, you lose control of your words. 

12 hours ago, Green Line said:

Nobody thinks that its the 90s anymore.. I'm certainly not stuck in a time warp.  Baseball changes like all things do.  Sportsmanship doesn't change all that much though.  And if you ignore a sign from your coach, you might have to deal with a consequence or two.  These seem to be novel concepts to many though.  Maybe it reflects society as a whole.

You old-timers keep playing up this “sportsmanship” word all while saying it’s ok to throw an object 90 MPH at someone for not following these unwritten rules.  It’s hypocrisy at it’s finest and no doubt most people from a more civilized era would like to see your insane take on “sportsmanship” change.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Of course Tony doesn't think this is a big deal.  This a part of his demented moral code where swinging at a 3-0 pitch is worse than 2 DUIs.  But again, once he opened his mouth to the media, he no longer gets to decide how big this story is.  It is now free in the world.  Of course Tony doesn't want to get publicly mocked for this, and thinks everyone should do think what he thinks.  If anything, it tells you how out of touch he is that he sees this as completely normal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Green Line said:

lmao, here he is whining about Tatis' 3-0 homer.

“If you don’t think sportsmanship belongs in the game,” La Russa said, “you’re full of s---.”

“The reality of our sport is very simple,” said La Russa, who is a now a special assistant with the Los Angeles Angels. “You’re supposed to create entertainment for the fans the way one team competes against another. That’s all it is. Well, I was always taught, and I do believe, there is a level of sportsmanship for the game and for your opponent that’s at the core of the competition. You don’t abuse the game for personal value, without getting too hoity-toity about it.”

“To me, it comes down to respect and a sense of sportsmanship,” La Russa said. “Where do you draw the line?”

“I know what these unwritten rules are, supposedly,” La Russa added. “Every one has a good sense of why they came to be. They do evolve because the game continues to change — slowly, usually, but at times not so slowly. You factor in how the circumstances are changing, and that affects the code of conduct.”

“It’s just not sportsmanlike,” La Russa said. “The way it was described to me was, it’s team against team. That’s what our sport is, with these very talented individuals matching up. What it isn’t, though, is an exhibition of your talents. You swing 3-0 in that game, and you’re up by seven, you’re trying to drive in more runs.”

“It’s the judgment the manager has to make,” La Russa said. “When is it pouring on? And when can I explain it to where I maintain the respect of the competition? The manager in San Diego, he decided a seven-run lead, he decided that seven runs was enough. If you’re not good enough to get six outs with at least a seven-run lead, then you’re not good enough to win the game.”

"Am I pouring it on, which would go against the sportsmanship I’m responsible for? Or am I enhancing the chance to win, which is my number one priority, and I can explain why it was important to keep scoring? But — and this is a big but — you better realize in your contemplation that if you give the other side a reason to retaliate [against] your player, you better factor that into your decision, too.”

He clearly has a whole lot of feelings on the subject. And maybe you could have given him the last part, about not wanting to give the team a chance to retaliate against you, except he proved he was full of shit when he didn't stand up for Yermin, said he had no problem with how the Twins handled it, and even said that maybe the Twins were just trying to throw a slider that got away.

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

Do you know why he should be absolutely be swinging there? Because he's paid to do what he did. It was the best possible outcome. 

Again, for the 100th time, you're upset Mercedes hit a home run for the White Sox. Think about that for a second. Take it in. 

Tony: That makes no sense.  557 players before him, who I also assume got paid, declined to do this until Mercedes did.   I think it is fair to say some were HOF  calibre, some were rookie and some were bench players.  But an unwritten rule, by it's nature, can be broken if a player chooses.  TLR should have just  handled it privately w the player and if questioned by the media gave a no comment.  

Unfortunately the NY media will love this crap w the Sox in town this weekend. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You old-timers keep playing up this “sportsmanship” word all while saying it’s ok to throw an object 90 MPH at someone for not following these unwritten rules.  It’s hypocrisy at it’s finest and no doubt most people from a more civilized era would like to see your insane take on “sportsmanship” change.

Don't age me!

1 minute ago, SCCWS said:

Tony: That makes no sense.  557 players before him, who I also assume got paid, declined to do this until Mercedes did.   I think it is fair to say some were HOF  calibre, some were rookie and some were bench players.  But an unwritten rule, by it's nature, can be broken if a player chooses.  TLR should have just  handled it privately w the player and if questioned by the media gave a no comment.   

Unfortunately the NY media will love this crap w the Sox in town this weekend. 

Football teams take a knee in the waning moments of games.  Nobody says, "Hey, these guys are paid to play out a full 4 quarters!"  The best outcome would in fact be another touchdown, but that would definitely be looked down upon if Tom Brady threw a hail mary pass to the endzone while his team was up by 4 touchdowns with 10 seconds left.  I think players on the other team would be pretty pissed off about that.

Now, yeah, you're all going to say, baseball is different there is no clock!!  Yeah, I know.  But Tony wasn't even asking Yermin to take a knee, just to literally take ONE pitch.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sportsmanship is not asinine, but you’re a pussy if you don’t charge the mound after being hit.  You live by some seriously fucked up morals.

I am amazed that through the years that when a pitcher throws at a player, I have never seen the batter let his bat go toward the mound on the next pitch. Probably has happened but I have seen plenty of batters thrown at and none retaliated w a thrown bat

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Of course Tony doesn't think this is a big deal.  This a part of his demented moral code where swinging at a 3-0 pitch is worse than 2 DUIs.  But again, once he opened his mouth to the media, he no longer gets to decide how big this story is.  It is now free in the world.  Of course Tony doesn't want to get publicly mocked for this, and thinks everyone should do think what he thinks.  If anything, it tells you how out of touch he is that he sees this as completely normal.

I'm done defending his comments as not even I, who thinks TLR is doing a lot of good things, will defend this leaving the clubhouse and I've been consistent on that.  I will say that if you watch his actual presser you get a very different tone than reading his words in print.  You get the impression watching him that he almost considers this entertainment during a long season.  I don't know if that's the right way to say it but I got the impression that after 5K or so games there really isn't much new ground for him to cover on his feelings about how the game should be played and that he knows that and his players know that.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I am amazed that through the years that when a pitcher throws at a player, I have never seen the batter let his bat go toward the mound on the next pitch. Probably has happened but I have seen plenty of batters thrown at and none retaliated w a thrown bat

Pitchers that throw at dudes for hitting homers are some of the softest dudes in sports (looking at you Keller).

Speaking of which, why do pitchers get away with so much behavior that position players would get crucified for? We all know Yermin would get raked over coals by La Russa if he did anything close to Liam's Vince McMahon walk the other day (which was fantastic), and again, Liam is one of La Russa's dudes.

• Like 2