The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

lol I use discord for playing Rust but I feel old everytime I fire it up so imma have to pass.

Rust is a lot of fun, but it's just such a grind. You have to commit so many hours to it.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Unfortunately I don't always follow my own sage wisdom. I should know better, but there are just too many people that really need an education. 

Like many of us said about another Tony, give it behind closed doors.  Hopefully TLR and Yermin are assigned seats together on the NY charter. 

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So lots of games left against the Twins. TLR says sorry to the Twins for his guy swinging 3-0. Twins manager says apology accepted but I'm going to throw at your guy anyway. Tony says I got no problem with what the Twins did. Ahh but does he ? If he acts all pissed then if the Sox retaliate in any way it will seem premeditated.Maybe in the last series against the Twins of the season Tony asks a Sox pitcher to brush back a Twins player . This may not be over.

What should LaRussa do in the rest of the games against the Twins ? If he does something is that sticking up for his player or his team ? Is there anything TLR can do make make anyone here happy in regards to what he could do next against the Twins. It's a serious question. I don't really expect serious answers though.

The very simple answer is to do nothing and just keeping kicking their butts.  The Twins are just not good this year and we need to pile up as many wins as possible against them,  Doing anything to wake them up is useless.

29 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I am amazed that through the years that when a pitcher throws at a player, I have never seen the batter let his bat go toward the mound on the next pitch. Probably has happened but I have seen plenty of batters thrown at and none retaliated w a thrown bat

IIRC Manny Machado did it against the A‘s(?)

Edited by GermanSoxFan

6 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Rust is a lot of fun, but it's just such a grind. You have to commit so many hours to it.

Totally.  I usually will play once a month for like 20 hours in a weekend and then get completely bored.  In my 20s when it first came out me and this other guy I teamed with would play like 50 hours each in a week.  Can't really do that anymore for various reasons.

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

How can you say that this stat is not relevant?? This stat proves absolutely that, unwritten or not, everyone was aware of it and followed it. Look at the stat, zero for 557 pitches not broken in 20 years. So it was an idea of sportsmanship that everyone was aware of. So that does give validity to LaRussa being upset. Even if Mercedes didn't know, he was told to take by McEwing. McEwing has said that. I'm tired of people on here lying and saying that Mercedes didn't get the take sign. 

How many of the 557 pitches were thrown by a position player? How many were thrown under 50mph? What are the numbers for 3-0 swings with a 2 run lead or a 5 run lead or a 15 run lead?

Also do you have a link to McEwing saying he told Yermin to take? I haven't seen that so if it is out there I would like to see it.

• Like 2

I want to add another piece to this puzzle now that it's been 2-3 days. 

I really....REALLY hope this was a productive ordeal. Not for the White Sox. But for baseball. Like it or not, this was a national talking point since it happened, and not just in baseball. On every sports show. It led to a ton of conversation about the "unwritten rules" and the rest of the garbage that comes with it. I don't believe LaRussa will change. But I hope others can and will. I hope MLB takes notice of this, and continues to push players to show personality and continue to entertain fans (Yes, I'd rather see a 3-0 HR by Yermin in the 9th then him keep his bat on his shoulder because "OLD SCHOOL BASEBALL"). 

I'm not holding my breath, but I think the conversation around this topic has been good and I'm hopeful it leads to change. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

I still haven't seen anybody describe what the proper etiquette is. What was the outcome of Mercedes' at bat that would have satisfied the unwritten rulebook? Nobody has said if a basehit or HR on 3-and-1 count woulda been OK.

Because there is none. It's arbitrary nonsense.

• Like 3

Just now, Tony said:

I want to add another piece to this puzzle now that it's been 2-3 days. 

I really....REALLY hope this was a productive ordeal. Not for the White Sox. But for baseball. Like it or not, this was a national talking point since it happened, and not just in baseball. On every sports show. It led to a ton of conversation about the "unwritten rules" and the rest of the garbage that comes with it. I don't believe LaRussa will change. But I hope others can and will. I hope MLB takes notice of this, and continues to push players to show personality and continue to entertain fans (Yes, I'd rather see a 3-0 HR by Yermin in the 9th then him keep his bat on his shoulder because "OLD SCHOOL BASEBALL"). 

I'm not holding my breath, but I think the conversation around this topic has been good and I'm hopeful it leads to change. 

I mean it happened last year with Tatis JR and uh, nothing seemed to have changed.

25 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

I have an announcement about an open invitation to other Tony fans who post here (tray, chisportsfan, etc). I've mentioned before that we have a LaRusstans group on Discord. Well, it's official: we're doing a #LaRusstansTakeover in the outfield of the May 26 game (next Wednesday) versus St Louis! We will have signs, LaRussa chants, everything to show our support. If you miss out on this one, we will do more in the summer (I've suggested one each for Jerry, Kenny, Ricky). 

f852Jys.png

Seems like it’s going to be quite the party!  Body paint and La Russa chants!  Oh boy, finish it off with some DUIs and you can truly make Tony proud!

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

I still haven't seen anybody describe what the proper etiquette is. What was the outcome of Mercedes' at bat that would have satisfied the unwritten rulebook? Nobody has said if a basehit or HR on 3-and-1 count woulda been OK.

Tony said it would be ok.  He did.  So yea, one strike, and it's not showing up Astudillo.  No strikes and oh my god Duffy has to throw at his legs because that makes perfect sense 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Football teams take a knee in the waning moments of games.  Nobody says, "Hey, these guys are paid to play out a full 4 quarters!"  The best outcome would in fact be another touchdown, but that would definitely be looked down upon if Tom Brady threw a hail mary pass to the endzone while his team was up by 4 touchdowns with 10 seconds left.  I think players on the other team would be pretty pissed off about that.

Now, yeah, you're all going to say, baseball is different there is no clock!!  Yeah, I know.  But Tony wasn't even asking Yermin to take a knee, just to literally take ONE pitch.

Football is a timed sport where kneeling guarantees you win the game and not kneeling leaves a very small chance that an injury (common in football) happens or you could blow the lead.

Tony literally said he wished he could send three pitchers to the plate to intentionally make outs. The guy is a complete moron.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I mean it happened last year with Tatis JR and uh, nothing seemed to have changed.

I'm biased because I live in the Chicago media market, but I feel like this reached a much bigger scale than the Tatis stuff. 

Just now, Tony said:

I'm biased because I live in the Chicago media market, but I feel like this reached a much bigger scale than the Tatis stuff. 

possibly.  As I noted yesterday it was a full session on talk radio out here.  That's quite rare for this Seahawks mad town.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

The Tatis thing was even stupider. It was 7-0.mThere have been tons of 7+ run innings in baseball history.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Football is a timed sport where kneeling guarantees you win the game and not kneeling leaves a very small chance that an injury (common in football) happens or you could blow the lead.

Tony literally said he wished he could send three pitchers to the plate to intentionally make outs. The guy is a complete moron. 

These are minor differences.  You're not going to blow a 4 touchdown lead in the 4th quarter with a minute to go.  That is not why they take a knee.  The injury thing is valid, but hardly decisive.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Youre ignoring entirely that Tony larussa has single handedly made the rest of the AL play worse and has mentally broken the twins through his sheer intimidation and his 5000 career games of experience and 4d chest abilities. Other teams are playing worse because of Tony so his record being worse than Ricky's is meaningless when you factor in those immense intangibles 

Morgana, the Kissing Bandit?