The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, Green Line said:

You can call it meaningless, others disagree.

Ok, so what is the  meaning behind it then? How is someone getting shown up on 3-0 but if you stand with the bat on your shoulder for one pitch then it's all ok. Is allowing the one strike some kind of participation trophy for the pitcher?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Taking a knee doesn't end a game any sooner than running another play (provided its not an incomplete pass).  Please do not try and deny that there is an aspect of "not showing another team up" when an NFL team clearly stops trying hard to score late in a game where they are blowing the other team out.  Happens all the time.

They kneel when they can end the game with a guaranteed win. The Twins still sent batters to the plate who attempted to get hits. The strategy in a timed game is completely different because you can limit how many opportunities the opponent has to even try to score. In baseball, everyone gets 27 outs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

People kneel to prevent injuries. You saying that is a minimal reason is a joke. Football is a violent contact sport that causes wear and tear every single snap.

I understand the point he is trying to make, but with timed games, it's advantageous to run out the clock. I just don't understand why its bush league for Yermin to try when the Twins are trying in the bottom half of the inning. If you want to call the game, call the game. Making a farce  out of it by not trying is not sportsmanship in my book.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, supernuke said:

Ok, so what is the  meaning behind it then? How is someone getting shown up on 3-0 but if you stand with the bat on your shoulder for one pitch then it's all ok. Is allowing the one strike some kind of participation trophy for the pitcher?

Like I said, this is all arbitrary nonsense and for it to be a perpetual hill that some people want to die on is so utterly mind-boggling.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I understand the point he is trying to make, but with timed games, it's advantageous to run out the clock. I just don't understand why its bush league for Yermin to try when the Twins are trying in the bottom half of the inning. If you want to call the game, call the game. Making a farce  out of it by not trying is not sportsmanship in my book. 

Nobody is trying to stop Yermin from trying to win.  It was just 1 pitch.  I don't understand that part of your argument.  Him swinging on 3-1 wouldn't have been an issue and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

• Haha 1

If anything, trying to protect five relievers (for Game 3) Baldelli could have selected ahead of Astudillo is where Baldelli erred...if you have a legit arm like Matt Davidson for the Sox and he’s entering the game with every single guy in the pen already burned, then you can start to argue about this 3-0 swinging thing.  But Astudillo throwing 47 mph eephus pitches was respectful to the game how exactly?   A catcher should be able throw at least in the high 70’s or 80’s with minimal effort.  Striking out opposing hitters with beer league softball velocities is a tad bit ludicrous and just a comic sideshow for the home dugout to ease the in-house tensions related to all those early season Twins’ losses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

This is what bothers me with posters who make "absolute" statements as fact. How could he or "should" have absolutely been swinging there when no one, not a few, not some, NO ONE had done it in 20 years. Your opinion makes it an absolute?  557 previous players in that situation disagree with you. It was zero for 557. I don't think you can say "absolutely" here. 

I’m not stating it fact, but I can see how it reads that way. There are some arguments where I can see both sides. But for this argument, I am completely on one side. So I ABSOLUTELY think he should have swung. I’m not on the fence about it. 

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If anything, trying to protect five relievers (for Game 3) Baldelli could have selected ahead of Astudillo is where Baldelli erred...if you have a legit arm like Matt Davidson for the Sox and he’s entering the game with every single guy in the pen already burned, then you can start to argue about this 3-0 swinging thing.  But Astudillo throwing 47 mph eephus pitches was respectful to the game how exactly?   A catcher should be able throw at least in the high 70’s or 80’s with minimal effort.  Striking out opposing hitters with beer league softball velocities is a tad bit ludicrous and just a comic sideshow for the home dugout to ease the in-house tensions related to all those early season Twins’ losses.

Hell, we had Yermin throwing in the 70s and 80s when he pitched.

The Giants are beating the Reds 18-1 now...and who’s in to pitch?   Carson Fulmer...haha.

All five Reds’ pitchers have given up runs, Fulmer 4 in two IP.

Shouldn’t they stop swinging away and just allow the pitchers to strike them out with bats not leaving the perch on their shoulders?

By this argument...conversely, pitchers should feel sorry for the Indians, Tigers and M’s...and groove more pitches to help them increase their offensive output.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Green Line said:

Taking a knee doesn't end a game any sooner than running another play (provided its not an incomplete pass).  Please do not try and deny that there is an aspect of "not showing another team up" when an NFL team clearly stops trying hard to score late in a game where they are blowing the other team out.  Happens all the time.

They take a knee because the other team cannot come back to win the game. That’s not the case in baseball. If there were any chance whatsoever that taking a knee would give the other team a chance to win, they wouldn’t do it. This is in no way analogous to player who has to bat in order to complete the game actually batting. You’ve got be just playing stupid (aka trolling) at this point there’s no other rational explanation.

Edited by Vulture
  • Thanks 1

And Baltimore using Stevie Wilkerson to pitch in a 10-1 deficit to Rays, too.

Wendle homered on a 1-1 pitch and Kiermaier singled down 0-2 in the count.

Wilkerson also was throwing 45 mph curveballs.

Also noteworthy is it’s the last game of series, getaway day, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

They take a knee because the other team cannot come back to win the game. That’s not the case in baseball. If there were any chance whatsoever that taking a knee would give the other team a chance to win, they wouldn’t do it. This is in no way analogous to player who has to bat in order to complete the game actually batting. You’ve got be just playing stupid at this point there’s no other rational explanation.

I'd same the same to you - take care.

35 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Nobody is trying to stop Yermin from trying to win.  It was just 1 pitch.  I don't understand that part of your argument.  Him swinging on 3-1 wouldn't have been an issue and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

You still haven't explained the reasoning why swinging on 3-0 is wrong but 3-1 is OK besides "just because".

• Thanks 2

Just now, OmarComing25 said:

You still haven't explained the reasoning why swinging on 3-0 is wrong but 3-1 is OK besides "just because".

I explained it days ago I can't keep beating my head against the wall its getting old for everyone.  I'm moving on to tomorrows game.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Some kid went to his or her first game and got to see Yermin hit one into the night. Maybe that will hook them. Not quite like taking 3-0, but there is still a chance.

Nothing would hook kids onto baseball more than sitting in the LaRussians bleacher section cheering on their near-death drunken idol and booing the flashy Latino players with their gold chains, outward display of emotions, boring home runs, and blatant disrespect for superior old white men rules.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, GermanSoxFan said:

The ironic thing is that LaRussa was a pioneer on many things in the game and now is fighting against change. 

Dusty is also above 70, but he isn’t stuck in the past.

It's because Dusty has been around the on-field part of the game, whereas LaRussa hasn't in almost 10 years.

Just now, SleepyWhiteSox said:

Nothing would hook kids onto baseball more than sitting in the LaRussians bleacher section cheering on their near-death drunken idol and booing the flashy Latino players with their gold chains, outward display of emotions, boring home runs, and blatant disrespect for superior old white men rules.

And theres the race card, was waiting for it.

• Haha 1