The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, Quin said:

All right, to avoid shutting down this thread, let's keep terms like "LaRussians" and all that jazz out of this thread.

No need to drag politics concerning our former president into here.

Lol that's pretty funny, but I agree with your sentiment

Edited by ron883

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If you don't want a guy to swing against you 3-0, put him on first. You can do that without a pitch these days.

Manfred literally should send a memo to everyone- when it comes to 3-0 pitches during what you perceive to be a blowout, you are not to give a take sign to the player. The pitcher and his team should not expect a take in any situation, and nobody is allowed to be offended publicly at swinging at a pitch. Retaliation will be met with severe punishment. There. One unwritten rule solved.

• Like 1

People just make things up to attack LaRusstans.

We love and cheer for all the players. No players get booed.

I campaigned for Marianne Williamson in the primary (she would’ve been AMAZING!) and voted all blue in the general election. I’m as far removed from the last POTUS on the spectrum as you can get, lol. 

44 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Giants are beating the Reds 18-1 now...and who’s in to pitch?   Carson Fulmer...haha.

All five Reds’ pitchers have given up runs, Fulmer 4 in two IP.

So what is the unwritten rule when someone worse than a position player is pitching?

54 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If anything, trying to protect five relievers (for Game 3) Baldelli could have selected ahead of Astudillo is where Baldelli erred...if you have a legit arm like Matt Davidson for the Sox and he’s entering the game with every single guy in the pen already burned, then you can start to argue about this 3-0 swinging thing.  But Astudillo throwing 47 mph eephus pitches was respectful to the game how exactly?   A catcher should be able throw at least in the high 70’s or 80’s with minimal effort.  Striking out opposing hitters with beer league softball velocities is a tad bit ludicrous and just a comic sideshow for the home dugout to ease the in-house tensions related to all those early season Twins’ losses.

I may be wrong, but it seems like in the old days we only saw position players pitch when games went extremely long in extras and every bullpen pitcher was used.  I don't understand why baseball continues to allow managers to use position players as pitchers during the first nine innings simply to save a bullpen for the next game.  There should be a rule against it, an actual written rule.  That nonsense is what is disrespecting the game.

5 minutes ago, RTC said:

And got a high five from his manager 

The thing that blows me away is how he had no problem Yermin was thrown at. None. It’s a good thing this team doesn’t need a manager from a leadership and support POV. Lols like until the egos get big enough, and with a guy like Abreu around, the clubhouse is self managed. I think they just look at Tony and think, whateves.

Edited by Dick Allen

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The thing that blows me away is how he had no problem Yermin was thrown at. None. It’s a good thing this team doesn’t need a manager from a leadership and support POV. Lols like until the egos get big enough, and with a guy like Abreu around, the clubhouse is self managed. I think they just look at Tony and think, whateves.

Agreed 100%.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The Mad Dog weighs in:

Interesting point on Henry Aaron. Mad Dog is looking a helluva lot better than Mike these days.

Must be another troll, how could he possibly hold a differing opinion?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I understand the point he is trying to make, but with timed games, it's advantageous to run out the clock. I just don't understand why its bush league for Yermin to try when the Twins are trying in the bottom half of the inning. If you want to call the game, call the game. Making a farce  out of it by not trying is not sportsmanship in my book.

It is done all the time in other professional sports and you know it.

In  the NFL, quarterbacks take a knee , several times if necessary  to run out the clock instead of running up the score.

In the NBA  BOTH teams put in scrubs to finish out the game, and then dribble out the last seconds instead of sending LeBron out to dunk one in yo face.

Yermin did what he did and should have taken matters into his own hands when they threw at him. He decided to swing for the fences on a 3-0 pitch from a position player while up 11 runs in the 9th. Ridiculous.

Some youngsters like to create problems and have daddy clean it up later.  Maybe Yermin should charge the mound next time. Don't wait for Tony to explain what you did and why after the game and then characterize Baldelli's response.

Tony  has been doing one helluva job with this team.  If we win the Division with an outfield filled in with Minor league talent (and Rookie Vaughn hitting .225 with 2 HR) , he will be up for Manager of the Year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, tray said:

It is done all the time in other professional sports and you know it.

In  the NFL, quarterbacks take a knee , several times if necessary  to run out the clock instead of running up the score.

In the NBA  BOTH teams put in scrubs to finish out the game, and then dribble out the last seconds instead of sending LeBron out to dunk one in yo face.

Yermin did what he did and should have taken matters into his own hands when they threw at him. He decided to swing for the fences on a 3-0 pitch from a position player while up 11 runs in the 9th. Ridiculous.

Some youngsters like to create problems and have daddy clean it up later.  Maybe Yermin should charge the mound next time. Don't wait for Tony to explain what you did and why after the game and then characterize Baldelli's response.

Tony  has been doing one helluva job with this team.  If we win the Division with an outfield filled in with Minor league talent (and Rookie Vaughn hitting .225 with 2 HR) , he will be up for Manager of the Year.

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1