The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

Evan Marshall pulled a rabbit out of his ass and got the Sox out of a tough situation in the 8th. TLR got incredibly lucky there, but hey it worked. Then he tries to steal 3 outs against the middle of the order by letting Marshall pitch another inning? How many times has sending relievers out there for a 2nd inning backfired now?

Tony is a moron. 

Edited by GermanSoxFan
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Evan Marshall pulled a rabbit out of his ass and got the Sox out of a tough situation in the 8th. TLR got incredibly lucky there, but hey it worked. Then he tries to steal 3 outs against the middle of the order by letting Marshall pitch another inning? How many times has sending relievers out there for a 2nd inning backfired now?

Tony is a moron. 

He sucks so much and it keeps getting worse. 

• Like 1

1-Apr Failing to make review time window, Leury starts opening day, no pinch hitter for him late.

3-Apr Bullpen Usage - Bummer never used, Marshall allowed to blow game in the 9th.

4-Apr Bullpen usage - Hendriks not used in the 9th, Ruiz and Foster blow it.

*Several times could have PH for Leury or Hamilton, not done

7-Apr Bullpen usage - Foster comes in with Bummer and Hendriks needing work, gives up 5 runs. 

11-Apr Couple of poorly thought out bunts, pinch running for Mercedes early left no backup Ofs

13-Apr Williams hits 5th, Lamb hits 7th, Mercedes benched against Bieber. Could have kept Hendriks out to start the 10th.

27-Apr Attempts to kill Lucas Giolito. "We were looking for a single there." Insists postgame that he was awake.

5-May Messes up double-switch, runs team out of 10th inning, rulebook read to him by reporter.

17-May The Yermin Mercedes incident.

21-May Bullpen Usage. Day after offday, only Hendricks pitched on Wednesday so nearly entire bullpen available. Left Marshall out for 9th inning against Yankee 3-4-5 after already pitching in the 8th did not pull him even when runners got on. Did not shift anyone up the middle against Judge, who singled through the spot where a shift should have been.

Bolded are games where managerial decisions are particularly high leverage in a loss. All items on the list cannot be assumed to be wins with a better manager, these are only high leverage mistakes that contributed to a loss.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Don’t forget that the winning run got on base because Tony refuses to shift against dead pull right handed hitters.

The ball Judge hit is an out against almost evry other team

edit: I see Balta already covered it

Edited by GermanSoxFan

4 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Don’t forget that the winning run got on base because Tony refuses to shift against dead pull right handed hitters.

The ball Judge hit is an out against almost evry other team

edit: I see Balta already covered it

Ha, at this point there are so many that people will get lost in the list. The only question is when I will post it with the next addition.

Regarding the Yermin thing: 

The entire purpose of the unwritten rule he supposedly “broke” is to protect fringe pitchers’ livelihood. That fat fuck for the twins isn’t a pitcher. He isn’t going to lose his job because he gave up a dinger. End of story. Somewhere along the way it became an issue of pussies and their pride. Give it up.

As for keeping Marshall in the game:

Par for the course this season. Add it to the list  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

1-Apr Failing to make review time window, Leury starts opening day, no pinch hitter for him late.

3-Apr Bullpen Usage - Bummer never used, Marshall allowed to blow game in the 9th.

4-Apr Bullpen usage - Hendriks not used in the 9th, Ruiz and Foster blow it.

*Several times could have PH for Leury or Hamilton, not done

7-Apr Bullpen usage - Foster comes in with Bummer and Hendriks needing work, gives up 5 runs. 

11-Apr Couple of poorly thought out bunts, pinch running for Mercedes early left no backup Ofs

13-Apr Williams hits 5th, Lamb hits 7th, Mercedes benched against Bieber. Could have kept Hendriks out to start the 10th.

27-Apr Attempts to kill Lucas Giolito. "We were looking for a single there." Insists postgame that he was awake.

5-May Messes up double-switch, runs team out of 10th inning, rulebook read to him by reporter.

17-May The Yermin Mercedes incident.

21-May Bullpen Usage. Day after offday, only Hendricks pitched on Wednesday so nearly entire bullpen available. Left Marshall out for 9th inning against Yankee 3-4-5 after already pitching in the 8th did not pull him even when runners got on. Did not shift anyone up the middle against Judge, who singled through the spot where a shift should have been.

Bolded are games where managerial decisions are particularly high leverage in a loss. All items on the list cannot be assumed to be wins with a better manager, these are only high leverage mistakes that contributed to a loss.

Now do all the managerial wins, please.  Starting with Wednesday (bunt).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, flavum said:

Ridiculous season so far. On pace for 100 wins with an outdated manager that will fuck up again and again. We’ll see what happens next. 

The roster is so talented that it’s been able to overcome some of the worst managing I have ever seen in my lifetime.  I was real young when Bevington was around, but Tony makes me dream of the return of Robin.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Now do all the managerial wins, please.  Starting with Wednesday (bunt).

Let me ignore all the analytics and use one example to support my view that happened to work out even though it was a dumb decision. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The roster is so talented that it’s been able to overcome some of the worst managing I have ever seen in my lifetime.  I was real young when Bevington was around, but Tony makes me dream of the return of Robin.

With Timmy slowing down big time and Mercedes not hitting like a future HOF, Tony’s choices will be even more in the spotlight.  Really wish Hahn and company get proactive and give the lineup a boost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Let me ignore all the analytics and use one example to support my view that happened to work out even though it was a dumb decision. 

That’s why you can’t just say that LaRussa has lost 7 games despite game changing mistakes in 7 games in 2 months. Good decisions don’t always turn into wins and bad decisions don’t always turn wins into losses.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Glad we saved Liam for that save situation!

He has the rare ability to make you feel worse about the thought process instead of better understanding why he did what he did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Glad we saved Liam for that save situation!

Showalter says Britton was readying for a possible save situation, or could have pitched the 12th in a tie game. They had started getting Bundy ready in response to Jimenez getting in trouble.