The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

Just now, Balta1701 said:

That’s why you can’t just say that LaRussa has lost 7 games despite game changing mistakes in 7 games in 2 months. Good decisions don’t always turn into wins and bad decisions don’t always turn wins into losses.

I agree completely with this.  Some of the best decisions don’t work out well. I think what pisses so many of us off is that he’s making terrible decisions that are having the bad results they deserve. If Hendriks comes in and gives up a homer in the 9th, we are mad at Hendriks and not Tony. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Blackout Friday said:

Good thing Heuer was there in case he got in trouble lol. How is he so bad at this?

Because he’s a stubborn man that wants to return baseball to how it used to be played and could theoretically be losing some of his ability to make sound decisions

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I agree completely with this.  Some of the best decisions don’t work out well. I think what pisses so many of us off is that he’s making terrible decisions that are having the bad results they deserve. If Hendriks comes in and gives up a homer in the 9th, we are mad at Hendriks and not Tony. 

Totally. I agreed with his decision to pinch hit for Collins. Didn’t work out, move on. Good decisions don’t always yield good results, but you can live with them. He just does a lot of dumb stuff that’s obviously dumb before it proves itself to be dumb. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

So very true unfortunately.

Like if he came out and said Heuer and Bummer were unavailable, then that would make a little more sense.  Saying he had Heuer up in case of trouble is ridiculous. Was he waiting for the bases to be loaded!

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Like if he came out and said Heuer and Bummer were unavailable, then that would make a little more sense.  Saying he had Heuer up in case of trouble is ridiculous. Was he waiting for the bases to be loaded!

I actually thought he’d pull Marshall after the first hit, but he basically left him in there to die.

2 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

Totally. I agreed with his decision to pinch hit for Collins. Didn’t work out, move on. Good decisions don’t always yield good results, but you can live with them. He just does a lot of dumb stuff that’s obviously dumb before it proves itself to be dumb. 

I didn’t like the PH for Collins, but that’s not on my list because it’s not an obvious blunder. There was 0 valid reason not to shift Judge. I don’t like shifts is not a reason to lose a game. I wanted to save Bummer for the 13th is a bad reason to lose a game in the 9th. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I didn’t like the PH for Collins, but that’s not on my list because it’s not an obvious blunder. There was 0 valid reason not to shift Judge. I don’t like shifts is not a reason to lose a game. I wanted to save Bummer for the 13th is a bad reason to lose a game in the 9th. 

Yeah, unless the decision is egregious you can generally rationalize it. You can’t rationalize a lot of what he does.

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not only that but Katz could've came out to talk to Marshall after the 1st hit and slowed things down to get Heuer in there since that seemed to be the guy next in line. Was there a mound visit at all by Grandal or Katz in the bottom of the 9th ? I don't recall seeing one. Wasn't it all RH hitters Marshall faced  in the 9th? Marshall the guy with reverse splits with righties hitting him for a .313 BA to this point in the season ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

Some are saying Vaughn was safe on the triple play, but Tony didn’t challenge.  I still can’t believe we have the most talented Sox team since 2006, but have Old Yeller calling the shots...what an absolute travesty.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Why don’t you do it yourself I‘d be incredibly interested 

Oh please.  My point was you can pick out any decision a manager makes and place the blame on him but its so hard to do the opposite.  They never get the credit for the lineups for example, which most people here shit on every day (until they win).

TLR is awful. Marshall pitching in the 9th is almost unbelievable. He has an ERA over 6. He has been our worst reliever lately. TLR wasted Rodon masterful pitching. What a shame.  I also did not like not playing Grandal and his .400 OBP. Collins against a lefty has no chance.  We had to go all out on this game with Cole pitching tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

I didn’t like LaRussa the first time he managed the Sox. I hated him with the A’s, and I wasn’t crazy about him with the Cardinals. He’s always been an ass. I was not a fan of his hiring.
That said, I like how TLR has handled the position players. He plays TA, Yoan, and Abreu every day (as he should). The rest are rotated pretty consistently.They’re all being used and playing multiple positions, and most have contributed to wins. Even when it looks like a shitty Sunday lineup, most times they’ve produced.

The starters have been used pretty well. We can pick apart a guy pitching a little too long here or there, but some of that responsibility falls on Katz and the pitcher to know and say when they are done.
I feel like he’s done a bad job with the bullpen most of the year. It doesn’t help that several of them have been pretty unreliable, but he’s made some pretty questionable decisions.

It’s not really fair that TLR gets blame for every loss and very little credit when they win. I wasn’t a fan of the decision to hire him, but some of this constant evaluation of every decision feels a little like Bears fans making every loss about Cutler when he played - even when the defense failed them several times in big spots.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That’s why you can’t just say that LaRussa has lost 7 games despite game changing mistakes in 7 games in 2 months. Good decisions don’t always turn into wins and bad decisions don’t always turn wins into losses.

For the record I never said he lost all those games, just potentially. Surely you agree.

26 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Oh please.  My point was you can pick out any decision a manager makes and place the blame on him but its so hard to do the opposite.  They never get the credit for the lineups for example, which most people here shit on every day (until they win).

Your point is fucking moot. You posed a challenge and when he asked you to do it yourself you balk. Clearly you can't so you were just jerking yourself off and you really don't have a point. 

I wish some of these “reporters” would actually challenge him during the post games. I understand they want to keep their cushy job, but since TLR has admitted to being “oblivious” to outside noise no one will call him out on his bs. 

14 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Your point is fucking moot. You posed a challenge and when he asked you to do it yourself you balk. Clearly you can't so you were just jerking yourself off and you really don't have a point. 

Calm down sparky, Im out with my buddies lmao Ill respond on my own time.  I have fun posting here but Im not going to leave my friends to research.

20 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

It’s not really fair that TLR gets blame for every loss and very little credit when they win. I wasn’t a fan of the decision to hire him, but some of this constant evaluation of every decision feels a little like Bears fans making every loss about Cutler when he played - even when the defense failed them several times in big spots.

That's a very false narrative in general, but especially so on this board in particular where every single player gets shit on a lot.  Larussa himself has admitted to some of his most egregious, mind-boggling errors.  Is there some nit-picking?  Of course.  This is soxtalk, after all.  But some of his managerial decisions have gotten so bad that they've merited local and national media scrutiny.

What's really not fair is what the fanbase has had to endure for as long as reinsdorf owns the team.  This organization will never be in any position to waste away championship-caliber seasons for as long is reinsdorf is alive, so of course the fanbase has reason to be upset when reinsdorf makes a selfish hire against the good of the team.  When reinsdorf hires a manager with the most potential to backfire and derail this team, then yeah, there is gonna be some extra scrutiny, most merited, some not.

• Like 2
  • Love 1