The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Football is a timed sport where kneeling guarantees you win the game and not kneeling leaves a very small chance that an injury (common in football) happens or you could blow the lead.

Tony literally said he wished he could send three pitchers to the plate to intentionally make outs. The guy is a complete moron.

Wait... what? I saw that quoted somewhere and thought it was a satire thing. He actually said that???

Edited by RagahRagah

1 minute ago, Green Line said:

These are minor differences.  You're not going to blow a 4 touchdown lead in the 4th quarter with a minute to go.  That is not why they take a knee.  The injury thing is valid, but hardly decisive.

Football is timed, baseball is not. That's a pretty major difference. Taking a knee ends the game sooner. Taking a walk extends the game and increases the potential runs scored.

Edited by StrangeSox

29 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

I have an announcement about an open invitation to other Tony fans who post here (tray, chisportsfan, etc). I've mentioned before that we have a LaRusstans group on Discord. Well, it's official: we're doing a #LaRusstansTakeover in the outfield of the May 26 game (next Wednesday) versus St Louis! We will have signs, LaRussa chants, everything to show our support. If you miss out on this one, we will do more in the summer (I've suggested one each for Jerry, Kenny, Ricky). 

f852Jys.png

Perfect, super on-brand, and very productive. Maybe flags are in order? And be sure to uncritically support every decision he makes from now on just to "own" his critics. Who knows, maybe you'll get really lucky and he'll manage us right out of contention, or blow a playoff game -- then there'll be "tears" galore! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Then you better stop rooting for the White Sox, as they are giving out these bobble heads on May 28th

Move along, grandpa. 

Hopefully Tony will be occupied walking the stands confiscating the “disrespectful bobble-heads” and allow the Sox to play to win without him fucking up another game.

35 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

I have an announcement about an open invitation to other Tony fans who post here (tray, chisportsfan, etc). I've mentioned before that we have a LaRusstans group on Discord. Well, it's official: we're doing a #LaRusstansTakeover in the outfield of the May 26 game (next Wednesday) versus St Louis! We will have signs, LaRussa chants, everything to show our support. If you miss out on this one, we will do more in the summer (I've suggested one each for Jerry, Kenny, Ricky). 

f852Jys.png

COVID Vector Ground Zero

Edited by South Side Hit Men

3 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Football is timed, baseball is not. That's a pretty major difference. Taking a knee ends the game sooner. Taking a walk extends the game and increases the potential runs scored. 

Taking a knee doesn't end a game any sooner than running another play (provided its not an incomplete pass).  Please do not try and deny that there is an aspect of "not showing another team up" when an NFL team clearly stops trying hard to score late in a game where they are blowing the other team out.  Happens all the time.

Edited by Green Line

5 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Taking a knee doesn't end a game any sooner than running another play (provided its not an incomplete pass).  Please do not try and deny that there is an aspect of "not showing another team up" when an NFL team clearly stops trying hard to score late in a game where they are blowing the other team out.  Happens all the time.

They don't take a knee 4 times, turn the ball over to the other team, and have the other team try to score. Minnesota was trying to get hits and score in the 9th inning, and would have whether Yermin homered on 3-0 or 3-1. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

They don't take a knee 4 times, turn the ball over to the other team, and have the other team try to score. Minnesota was trying to get hits and score in the 9th inning, and would have whether Yermin homered on 3-0 or 3-1. 

That would be a great response if TLR was telling Yermin to take on literally every pitch, but he wasn't.  Just the 3-0.

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

The ironic thing is that LaRussa was a pioneer on many things in the game and now is fighting against change. 

Dusty is also above 70, but he isn’t stuck in the past.

One is Dusty, the other dusty. 😉

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Green Line said:

People kneel to prevent injuries. You saying that is a minimal reason is a joke. Football is a violent contact sport that causes wear and tear every single snap.

34 minutes ago, Green Line said:

I listened to the remarks.  Tony's main issue was that he didn't take on 3-0... PERIOD.  There would be absolutley no story here if he took.  The comments about pitchers tapping it back to the mound was a response to a hypothetical and not really relevant to the story.

Your second point is just your opinion, you can think Tony is wrong, many others disagree.  The other 500+ hitters in that exact situation over the past many  years also disagreed with you.  Thats fine.  I hope you also criticize the Bears next time they take a knee in the 4th quarter.

nice try but not exactly the same... yeah taking a knee and not trying to score in football is sportsmanship.

But in football people get smashed every play - so its also protecting your players.  Also knees are taken also to avoid turn overs.

It's not purely a sportsmanship thing.

13 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Perfect, super on-brand, and very productive. Maybe flags are in order? And be sure to uncritically support every decision he makes from now on just to "own" his critics. Who knows, maybe you'll get really lucky and he'll manage us right out of contention, or blow a playoff game -- then there'll be "tears" galore! 

It's fans having a good time. Relax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Green Line said:

That would be a great response if TLR was telling Yermin to take on literally every pitch, but he wasn't.  Just the 3-0.

Right, so if he homered on 3-1, then Tony and you have no problem. Think about that for a second. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Right, so if he homered on 3-1, then Tony and you have no problem. Think about that for a second. 

Yes, thats exactly what I've been saying all along.  Think long and hard about it.  Its all crying over nothing.

23 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'm biased because I live in the Chicago media market, but I feel like this reached a much bigger scale than the Tatis stuff. 

All over the Boston market the last couple of days. 

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

This is what bothers me with posters who make "absolute" statements as fact. How could he or "should" have absolutely been swinging there when no one, not a few, not some, NO ONE had done it in 20 years. Your opinion makes it an absolute?  557 previous players in that situation disagree with you. It was zero for 557. I don't think you can say "absolutely" here. 

How many of those previous 557 pitches were 47mph right over the plate?

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Yes, thats exactly what I've been saying all along.  Think long and hard about it.  Its all crying over nothing.

So why is it ok on 3-1 and not 3-0. Is there any logic to it or is it just a meaningless relic from the past?

Nobody has ever come back from 7 runs down in Texas before...haha.

Which got lost in the shuffle a little bit because it became part of four Grand Slams over consecutive games.

Shouldn’t we criticize anyone who clears the bases, too?  Because keeping the line moving with runners on base is actually more demoralizing to the opposing pitcher...basically nickel and diming him to death, bleeding to death from a thousand small cuts.  We usually hear solo homers aren’t really a big deal at all to most starting pitchers, for example.

2 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

How many of those previous 557 pitches were 47mph right over the heart of the plate?

None, it was the slowest pitch ever to be homered on in that situation, since you have to supply all the power yourself, especially to CF.  It was something like 98.2% likely to be an out.