The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

Just now, RagahRagah said:

Calling criticism of LaRussa "ageism" is ignorant as fuck.

We'll stop criticizing him when he stops being a pimple on the ass of this team, how about that?

nah thats just one of his go-to moves - he pulls it out every now and then...

3 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

You forgot the losses that can be attributed to TLR:

- left Foster in to pitch thru a 7 run inning and blew a lead.

- left Giolito out to dry when he was gassed and lost the lead and the game.

- didnotknow the 10th inning runner rule and sent Hendriks out to run.  Send Leury to steal a base on the 10th when already had a man on 3rd and gave up an out. Did not pinch hit for Hamilton in the same 10th inning with game on  the line.

sided with the Twins on the Yermin HR and threw him under the bus in public.

these do not look like a great job.

All great points and don't forget the 5-4 loss to the Twins when he should have used Kopech for at least another inning or two and left Bummer in too long. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Calling criticism of LaRussa "ageism" is ignorant as fuck. Frankly, it's obvious you are not knowledgeable about baseball, you're the quintessential casual fan who doesn't actually think about what he is watching. 

And we'll stop criticizing him when he stops being a pimple on the ass of this team, how about that?

Amen! Well said!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, tray said:

LOL. How fuking ridiculous some of these arguments have gotten.

Sure pinch hit four times and send in starters and relievers to pitch in a blow out. OK..

The arguments that LaRussa is out of touch with the younger generation is part of the pussification of America. 

Take responsibility instead of waiting for a parent, employer or manager to clean up your sh1t.

Yermin could have taken a couple of pitches at 3-0. Instead he loaded up to hit a tape measure home run.   

None of the Sox , the Manager, the hitting coach or any player asked Yermin to do that.  He decided to spike the ball in the end zone.

Mercedes put a target on his own head and ultimately that might involve a scrum between the two teams next time they play.

This is your argument.  The nonTLR stans aren't trying to defend an antiquated system.  You are the one telling me that in this situation players aren't allowed to try, and if they do, they can be attacked physically with a deadly weapon as punishment.  So where are the Twins obligations?  Should the Sox have attacked Donaldson for hitting a home run the previous inning and putting on a show after hitting it with his team down 12 runs?  

If Yermin has an obligation to not hit, why do the Twins not have to follow the same morality? Why don't they have to quit trying and/or substitute players like you said in your previous post?  

Get past the ignorant boomer rant about the younger generation and tell me why the other team isn't following the same standards and why they are allow to assault someone who doesn't follow this morality,  even though they are not.

Let's hear your rationale go to a l9gical conclusion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 2

31 minutes ago, tray said:

Yea, like sportsmanship and personal responsibility.

Sportsmanship is launching a deadly weapon at someone else for violating an unstated protocol?  That is a messed up view of personal responsibility.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

LOL. How fuking ridiculous some of these arguments have gotten.

Sure pinch hit four times and send in starters and relievers to pitch in a blow out. OK..

The arguments that LaRussa is out of touch with the younger generation is part of the pussification of America. 

Take responsibility instead of waiting for a parent, employer or manager to clean up your sh1t.

Yermin could have taken a couple of pitches at 3-0. Instead he loaded up to hit a tape measure home run.   

None of the Sox , the Manager, the hitting coach or any player asked Yermin to do that.  He decided to spike the ball in the end zone.

Mercedes put a target on his own head and ultimately that might involve a scrum between the two teams next time they play.

The second I hear someone use the term, "pussification" I pretty much know I'm dealing with a person who is not exactly thoughtful. 

Like... do you really think a manager who actually says they should send 3 pitchers up to purposely make outs is actually in touch with today's game? Do you not even grasp the basic concept that the game has drastically changed?

"Take responsibility" for fucking what??? Playing the game to win? Players are trying to make money, hone their stats and legacies and do everything they can to win. That includes scoring every fucking run you can.

So playing the game to the best of your ability to you in some situations is disrespect and deserves a potentially crippling injury from a projectile hitting them at high velocity?

This is stupid fucking caveman bullshit and nothing more. The only one whose arguments are ridiculous is you and that is a fact. 

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is your argument.  The nonTLR stans aren't trying to defend an antiquated system.  You are the one telling me that in this situation players aren't allowed to try, and if they do, they can be attacked physically with a deadly weapon as punishment.  So where are the Twins obligations?  Should the Sox have attacked Donaldson for hitting a home run the previous inning and putting on a show after hitting it with his team down 12 runs?  

If Yermin has an obligation to not hit, why do the Twins not have to follow the same morality? Why don't they have to quit trying and/or substitute players like you said in your previous post?  

Get past the ignorant boomer rant about the younger generation and tell me why the other team isn't following the same standards and why they are allow to assault someone who doesn't follow this morality,  even though they are not.

Let's hear your rationale go to a l9gical conclusion. 

I'm 60+ and I agree wholeheartedly with this post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sportsmanship is launching a deadly weapon at someone else for violating an unstated protocol?  That is a messed up view of personal responsibility.  

Someone wrote earlier of having a high school/traveling team coach ORDER him to hit another team's batter.   Destroyed his spleen.

Just look at the recent hit by pitch incidents this week, especially Kevin Pillar.  When you're throwing 95+, it's almost assault with a deadly weapon.

It's not often you see a manager so publicly critical of his own player as La Russa has been of Mercedes, and the saga has turned into another referendum on the White Sox's much-criticized decision to hire a 76-year-old unwritten rules stickler to coach one of the most exciting and diverse rosters in baseball.

While La Russa has held firm on his position, some White Sox players — including star shortstop Tim Anderson and starting pitcher Lance Lynn — have indicated their support for the teammate. Meanwhile, players outside the organization have been much more aggressive in siding with Mercedes.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/twins-tyler-duffey-suspended-white-sox-yermin-mercedes-controversial-hr-215927207.html

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, champagne030 said:

Is Gabe Kapler "old school"?  He didn't have a problem with his hitter swinging away at 2-0, up 19-4 in the 9th, against a positional player pretending to be a pitcher.

He's considered to be the perfect blend (by some) of old school or traditional beliefs mixed with a more modernistic, analytics and nutrition based approach to maximizing performance.

Faidi, the GM, is definitely on the cutting edge of many emerging trends in the sport...and has completely revitalized that organization, especially Buster Posey playing like an MVP candidate again.

At the end of the day @tray is upset the designated hitter of the White Sox hit a home run when he wasn’t supposed to, according to white men who made up laughable rules that will never appear in a official rule book because of how asinine they are. 

I take comfort in knowing someone like tray is in the vast, vast minority in feeling that way, and that the sport of baseball is moving away from the embarrassing antics of Tony LaRussa. I, along with many others will be able to enjoy the game of baseball as it continues to advance and change as the culture does, while tray will be slinging venom towards a player that has already done tremendous things for a team he supposedly roots for. 

Just a sad way to live. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

Nobody's responding to my comment about a batter actually doing the position player pitcher and the opposing team a favor by trying to hit homers only against position players no matter if it's 3-0 or 3-1.

A pitcher could get killed on a smash up the middle on a 45 mph pitch. The uppercut is safe for the pitcher and good for the fans who like HRs. Besides the analysts only want HR or K to be the result on every at bat. So quit changing your minds, baseball.

This 3-0 pitch unwritten rule may be the silliest of all. Tony might hit a player with a bat if he bunted to break up a no-hitter. That's such a no-no. ... Also stealing a base when u have a big lead. Tony will lambaste Timmy if he ever does that. ... Best post on here was Dick Allen saying the opponent should walk any hitter that gets the count to 3-0 off a position player pitcher. Put him on base to protect the oh-so-important unwritten rules.

Everyone gets attached to baseball written and unwritten rules. Some say the DH ruined the game. Seven inning games have people acting like their hair is on fire. I believe Nine inning games have gotten too long. Let’s make every game seven innings. I’ve always been for full platoon. But all the traditionalists go crazy. God let’s move this game into the 21st century.

• Like 1