The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

3 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

They didn't "almost miss" the playoffs. The late season losing streak happened after they clinched a playoff spot, so no matter how many games they finished ahead of the next team, they safely made the playoffs. When you clinch a playoff spot with more than a week left in the season, there is no such thing as "almost missing" the playoffs.

Yeah, and they wouldn't have even almost missed the playoffs under the old playoff format either. They were - if I remember correctly - 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 games up on the next seed.

23 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Not choked.  I think they stopped competing too early after sweeping the Twins...started experimenting with relievers to find the right combinations.

At that point, there wasn’t even a clear third starter, remember?

Robert was in an atrocious tailspin.

They took the foot off the gas, got run over by the Indians and couldn’t get their mojo back down the stretch...going from nearly the best record in the AL to almost missing the playoffs did elicit a sense of panic in such a young and inexperienced team.

I mean, Keuchel choked, right?  And they still had the lead in Game 3 and plenty of positive vibes until Crochet had to come out early.   Also don’t even know if Renteria was actually allowed to pick his starter for that one...

I don't think last years team choked as much as they ran out of gas.  The pitching staff was toast.  Throw in the late injuries and the attempts to cobble something together with anyone that they could, and that's what ended it.

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Tray stop repeating this garbage, we all know who the fucking manager is.  I'm sorry that you can't see the twisted pretzel bullshit logic for what it is,  but clearly you decided that everyone else is the crazy one and that your 1950s thinking about a game being played in 2021 is right.  

Tony has 2 DUIs, he clearly has judgement issues.  Maybe we should all repeat that back at you every time you post who the manager is

The thing is, even in the 1950s a manager would not throw his own player under the bus in public while defending the other team for throwing at his player.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Not choked.  I think they stopped competing too early after sweeping the Twins...started experimenting with relievers to find the right combinations.

At that point, there wasn’t even a clear third starter, remember?

Robert was in an atrocious tailspin.

They took the foot off the gas, got run over by the Indians and couldn’t get their mojo back down the stretch...going from nearly the best record in the AL to almost missing the playoffs did elicit a sense of panic in such a young and inexperienced team.

I mean, Keuchel choked, right?  And they still had the lead in Game 3 and plenty of positive vibes until Crochet had to come out early.   Also don’t even know if Renteria was actually allowed to pick his starter for that one...

This is exactly how I remember it.  They were resting players, putting injured Rodon/the bottom of the bullpen in the game during the highest-leverage situations, etc. -- essentially giving away games.  I think this killed their mojo a bit and the losing seemed to build on itself once they were ready to right the ship for the last week.  Even still they looked pretty good in their playoff series but had no starter for game 3, a problem compounded by the Crochet injury and Ricky's skittish and reactive pitching management.

And since we are on the "unwritten rules" topic, how can we not talk about Ricky's truly embarrassing moment getting his whipping-boy Cordero to throw at the Cubs for *bat flipping* of all things?! The FO was rightfully outraged about that. Ricky was horrendous. Let's not let TLR's horrendousness fool us into thinking otherwise.

1 hour ago, Kalapse said:

One more time because I would never forgive this with any manager, the video is timestamped. ANY manager who says this should be fired on the spot, I don't give a fuck who you are, it's truly embarrassing. 

So Mr Hall of fame would put pitchers in to hit if a position player goes into pitch?  And when the pitcher gets hurt when he runs to first thats acceptable because it doesnt hurt Mr Snowflakes feelings.  Christ.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

So Mr Hall of fame would put pitchers in to hit.  If a position player goes into pitch?  And when the pitcher gets hurt when he runs to first thats acceptable because it doesnt hurt Mr Snowflakes feelings.  Christ.  

Yeah that could be the dumbest thing TLR has said yet

Edited by Vulture

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

My workday is just starting in about 20 minutes.  I do my own thing so no boss but being self motivated doing what I do as long as I have comes and goes. 

Good for you! I make my living as an Instagram Influencer. I’m getting into Forex now for my next career in case influencing falls off. 

3 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Good for you! I make my living as an Instagram Influencer. I’m getting into Forex now for my next career in case influencing falls off. 

lol.  Trust me, after awhile it's just a gig like anything else.  I'm actually looking to sell my stake in it and move back to the regular economy within the next year.  There are benefits of working for yourself but it also has pretty big drawbacks.

51 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This was just snippets of three pages of a "Renteria" search of your name last year. The three pages barely cover a month and the Sox were dominating (better record than now) despite being an incomplete roster; nearly everyday something was all Renteria's fault. 75+ posts. This year? Nothing bad to say about the manager despite him actually being atrocious. It is absolutely baffling.

CC9-Xplvr3-J.png

i003m0rtq6.png

uzj-O1-Bm56-I.png

ac-Gau-Bx-Ynb.png

I think he’s got you on ignore so he can’t see this

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

lol.  Trust me, after awhile it's just a gig like anything else.  I'm actually looking to sell my stake in it and move back to the regular economy within the next year.  There are benefits of working for yourself but it also has pretty big drawbacks.

Might want to stay out of crypto, too...some seismic changes taking place.

I personally don't think Tony will ever survive this. He will be remembered as the old guy who threw his own player under the bus and didn't even condemn the other team throwing at his own player.

Frankly it's sad and inexcusable that he has been "pro-Minnesota" in all this. Tony should step down over this. Or listen again to his statements about Yermin to be punished within the family and asked if he still stands by that. He's expressed no anger toward the Twins for throwing at Yermin even after baseball suspends the pitcher and manager.

This needs one more follow up interview session, Tony being asked about the Twins suspensions. Has he commented yet??? Please step down Tony.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, and I agree with that too. Renteria was pacing in the dugout with his hands on his knees sweating like Jerry Reinsdorf in front of a checkbook, and you just can't have that nonsense in post-season baseball. Manager has to be calm and not looking like he's about to hyperventilate. It's just a shame that now they got a guy who has only come out of the dugout once this season and it was too attack his own player and defend the opponent.

“Sweating like Jerry Reinsdorf in front of a checkbook.”  That is fucking fantastic!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Also, this thread has united so many people: Greg, Ray Ray, Ragah, Chicago White Sox, you, me, Tony (not La Russa), caulfield, southsider and so many more.

If that ain't evidence that TLR done fucked up, I don't know what is.

Seeing this list I might need to revisit my position.  Then again, seeing the other side makes it OK to be here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This was just snippets of three pages of a "Renteria" search of your name last year. The three pages barely cover a month and the Sox were dominating (better record than now) despite being an incomplete roster; nearly everyday something was all Renteria's fault. 75+ posts. This year? Nothing bad to say about the manager despite him actually being atrocious. It is absolutely baffling.

CC9-Xplvr3-J.png

i003m0rtq6.png

uzj-O1-Bm56-I.png

ac-Gau-Bx-Ynb.png

The one thing about Soxtalk?  Everybody's got receipts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tray said:

Oh, so now Tony was right, but he should not have answered questions about it in the media?

LOL. What a joke. This is the biggest fan-generated issue in the history of baseball.

Trumped up BS.

How was he right? He said something wasn’t suspicious yet the league suspended the Twins pitcher. Seems like he was directly contradicted