The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

2 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

On the flipside, he makes it in safe and suddenly it looks like a good call.

Not really. Now you have 1 runner in scoring position…down 3 runs, late in the game where you don’t have time to scratch away. Effectively the game hasn’t changed, you still need a big inning.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Not really. Now you have 1 runner in scoring position…down 3 runs, late in the game where you don’t have time to scratch away. Effectively the game hasn’t changed, you still need a big inning.

They were down two at the time so runner at home plate was tying run at the time.  It was a inning changer if not game

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I would say it was a call that worked out more than a good call

Yeah that's fair. This game just coincidentally happened after I thought on Sunday while watching the Dodgers/Padres game: "Man, I wish the Sox were more aggressive on the basepaths with all of that speed."

Edited by manbearpuig

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

They were down two at the time so runner at home plate was tying run at the time.  It was a inning changer if not game

Got it.

For the raw numbers - with 0 outs and a runner on first, odds of scoring 2 runs are 12.4%. Odds of scoring 2 runs with 0 outs and a runner on 2nd are 13.9%. 

Odds of scoring 2 runs with 1 out and 0 runners on are 3.8%. 

So, a stolen base increases the chances of scoring 2 runs by 1.5%. A caught stealing decreases the chances of scoring 2 runs by 8.6%. So basically, you better have a 90% chance or better odds of that stolen base being successful for that to be a good move. 

(%ages from here: https://gregstoll.com/~gregstoll/baseball/runsperinning.html)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Both teams and Tony acted drunk.  My god, Eaton was stumbling all game.  Lost in the criticism of Tony was Eaton stumbling on the homer in comical fashion.  Could he have robbed it?

Eaton hurt himself sliding back into second and probably should have come out of the game but he is one of very few reliable players at this point in time.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm around 10000% sure Tim anderson has a green light and is not instructed to steal

I'm pretty sure Tim went himself to try to get something going too.

• Like 1

The lawsuits also allege: Bicker regularly “ranted” about employees and then fired them; the human relations manager received a complaint from an employee who said Bicker laughingly yelled out generic names for Black women when she couldn’t remember the name of a Black consultant; Bicker “demeaned” Black Lives Matters protesters by showing a photo of black Labradors with the caption, “Black Dogs Matter”; and Bicker laughed off La Russa making a joke about a Black guest at a 2018 ARF event speaking in “ebonics.”

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, poppysox said:

Yes...I know.  In virtually every game the fans have these feelings.  Are your feelings ever wrong?  I have seen pitchers get out of jams frequently when I thought he should have been pulled.  I would bet that if you or I managed the WS...we would get roasted frequently for our instincts not being quite as good as we think.

Ah, the classic sports argument retort of "well you couldn't do any better." Though, I suppose if your point is that neither Tony nor me are capable of successfully managing the White Sox, I'd have to..... well, not agree, I'm too egotistical for that, but at the very least you'd probably be right.

If my counts are right Tony L at this point is costing us a lot more than we are gaining. It was so obvious last night that our starting pitcher didn’t have his good stuff and was out of gas but we left him in with a pretense of giving him a chance to win the game but what we really did was by not getting him out on time not only did he lose the game but so did the team. Then we brought in an good bullpen piece to shut Detroit down only to pull him immediately and put in a guy who is struggling with a + 10 ERA. When do we tell our defensively weak catcher that if he keeps hitting into the shift he will not hit .220 for the season. We got rid of the wrong catcher. Where is McCann? Just like our trade to San Diego to protect Anderson ( who still can’t field and now isn’t even hustling down the line) in order to get Shields who was a bum. Then we get a DH last year who can’t hit so we can keep the Yerminator off of the roster despite  Robert and others telling everyone that YM is the best hitter they have seen and after he hits well in Arizona. Our owner did the right thing not allowing Williams and his Stooge to hire a Mgr but he might have done Tony an injustice. Can Tony L possibly manage himself out of the H.O.F. this year?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Oh the irony

In the past week, the image of Tony La Russa’s Animal Rescue Foundation as a happy place for people to fall in love with their next pet has plunged into turmoil and confusion, roiled by divisions within the founding family and allegations that its leaders nurtured a “toxic” workplace culture, rife with bullying, favoritism, retaliation, and ageist and racist comments.

But employees paint a different picture. One of the four lawsuits filed against ARF alleges that the nonprofit fired its human resources manager in October when she called for an “appropriate” investigation of complaints made by dozens of employees, which date back to at least 2019. In another lawsuit, a worker in her 60s alleges she was the victim of ageism when she lost her job running the veterinary clinic this spring after Bicker was heard talking about her “being slow” and “needing to go.

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Ah, the classic sports argument retort of "well you couldn't do any better." Though, I suppose if your point is that neither Tony nor me are capable of successfully managing the White Sox, I'd have to..... well, not agree, I'm too egotistical for that, but at the very least you'd probably be right.

I think it was Anderson (not sure) who was commenting a few days ago about TL being 3 or 4 steps ahead of everyone else.  I'm sure you get the point...real ballplayers respect his knowledge of the game.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I think it was Anderson (not sure) who was commenting a few days ago about TL being 3 or 4 steps ahead of everyone else.  I'm sure you get the point...real ballplayers respect his knowledge of the game.

You need to find that quote because I don't think that sounds right.  Mostly because this site would have pounced all over it

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

It'd be more believable if the 1983 White Sox SS said that about Tony La Russa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

You need to find that quote because I don't think that sounds right.  Mostly because this site would have pounced all over it

Someone here will come up with it.  I thought at the time it would raise a stink.

• Haha 1