The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

People working in analytics in baseball are paid bottom of the barrel compared to the profession in almost every other industry. They rely on people taking jobs for the fact of "working in baseball."

The retention rate of the profession is crazy low and obviously turnover is pretty high. If the Sox spent 500,000 total on the entire department I'd be shocked. Millions a year 😂

Best part of the boards is your never ending deferral to "authority" on every topic and your absurd takes on what people who aren't players get paid in the industry 

Yeah it is essentially young privileged white people from wealthy families who can afford working in baseball as a hobby for 3-4 years after graduating from ivy league college because their dad paid the college fees and they don't have a family to feed yet. 

But after a couple years when they get married with kids they will switch to a better paying regular industry job. 

• Fire 1

44 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Yeah it is essentially young privileged white people from wealthy families who can afford working in baseball as a hobby for 3-4 years after graduating from ivy league college because their dad paid the college fees and they don't have a family to feed yet. 

But after a couple years when they get married with kids they will switch to a better paying regular industry job. 

Sprinkled in with some random Indian/Indian-Americans with an avid interest in the game that started out with cricket and Million Dollar Arm, haha.

You’ve got Sig Mejdal (NASA background) and Farhan Zaidi who’s revitalizing the Giants.  90% sure Zaidi has a Filipino background, like Erik Spoelstra. 

As Ray Ray said, thousands (85% white males) are dying for ANY chance to get their foot in the door.  It’s cool, compared to cloud/AI and data science working for Big Tech.  One of my big regrets was turning down the Red Sox in 1994 because the stipend was “only” $500.  Idiot!   Too practical, and too loyal to White Sox, in some weird way.  So I took a minor league internship where I had a stipend, free apartment and the ability to get a 10% sales commission on season tickets, special event sponsorships, billboards and program ads.

If I was doing it today, it would be working with Christine Reilly in PR.  They do some really inspirational stuff with charities, food depository and player appearances. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sprinkled in with some random Indian/Indian-Americans with an avid interest in the game that started out with cricket and Million Dollar Arm, haha.

You’ve got Sig Mejdal (NASA background) and Farhan Zaidi who’s revitalizing the Giants.  90% sure Zaidi has a Filipino background, like Erik Spoelstra. 

Zaidi comes from a well off family too though (father was an engineer who had good paying jobs) . Not all minority people are poor and those who do make it to those positions tend to be at least from above average wealthy people. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Zaidi comes from a well off family too though (father was an engineer who had good paying jobs) . Not all minority people are poor and those who do make it to those positions tend to be at least from above average wealthy people. 

Mostly, if you don’t have a playing background, it’s 75% weighted towards the Ivies, Cal Tech, MIT, Univ. Chicago, Michigan, ND, NW, Duke, Stanford.   Rick Hahn could be the poster boy.  Chris Getz, another.  Even KW.

Edited by caulfield12

As someone who batted most often in the #2 spot growing up I admittedly have a spot in my heart for those hitters. So as I swallow one of my last post op Norcos I look at today's lineup and think WTF Tony? 

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

As someone who batted most often in the #2 spot growing up I admittedly have a spot in my heart for those hitters. So as I swallow one of my last post op Norcos I look at today's lineup and think WTF Tony? 

It’s actually not that bad except for Eaton at 2, and and the ubiquitous presence of .500ish ops Leury.

The problem is Madrigal’s not hitting well enough to be moved up.   Then what, Vaughn or Mercedes there?

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Mostly, if you don’t have a playing background, it’s 75% weighted towards the Ivies, Cal Tech, MIT, Univ. Chicago, Michigan, ND, NW, Duke, Stanford.   Rick Hahn could be the poster boy.  Chris Getz, another.  Even KW.

Wait, what?

Back when KW's 40 time got him onto stanford's FB team, neither an SAT, nor an ACT score were required for admission. Nor was a GPA of any sort required for so-called "student"-athletes on scholarship. None of these things became REQUIREMENTS for admission to NCAA schools until after the advent of Prop-48.

The other side of the coin is that, ya know, ya gotta actually, like, complete the degree. Otherwise, you're just a high school graduate. [And one that got his diploma before the advent of "no pass, no play" laws in California.]

Neither Getz nor KW really conform to the industry norms of having multiple advanced degrees to serve in high positions within a FO nowadays.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem is Madrigal’s not hitting well enough to be moved up.   Then what, Vaughn or Mercedes there?

Mercedes is struggling right now, his May OPS is 624. I would put Vaughn there and see what happens.

BASEBALL OPERATIONS Dan Fabian begins his 30th season with the White Sox, 23rd in the baseball department and fourth as senior director of baseball operations. Fabian oversees the daily operation of the team s professional scouting efforts, including scheduling, communications and the development of the White Sox Scouting Portal, which features both amateur and pro scouting reports, statistical information and video clips The portal is used extensively by General Manager Rick Hahn in analyzing potential major league roster moves, trades and waiver claims. He also oversees the club s video coaching efforts, processing of advance scouting reports and general statistical research for the baseball department.

This is from a media guide around 2015-16.  Fabian hardly fits the image of a cutting edge, industry outsider.  More of a JR loyalist who has adapted to changing times.

Jeremy Haber went to Stanford, by the way.  Exactly who one would expect Hahn to take under his wing, another version of himself...who perhaps  is closer to NBA head coach Quin Snyder (law and MBA degrees) in background.

As far as KW graduating, you can say the same thing about Tiger Woods, right?  

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Wait, what?

Back when KW's 40 time got him onto stanford's FB team, neither an SAT, nor an ACT score were required for admission. Nor was a GPA of any sort required for so-called "student"-athletes on scholarship. None of these things became REQUIREMENTS for admission to NCAA schools until after the advent of Prop-48.

The other side of the coin is that, ya know, ya gotta actually, like, complete the degree. Otherwise, you're just a high school graduate. [And one that got his diploma before the advent of "no pass, no play" laws in California.]

Neither Getz nor KW really conform to the industry norms of having multiple advanced degrees to serve in high positions within a FO nowadays.

We aren't talking about U of I here, we are talking about Stanford.  If you are going to try to make the low key racist claim that Kenny only got into Stanford because of his athletic ability,  you have a burden of proof to show that Stanford's admission standards didn't apply to athletes,  and not some unrelated NCAA policy.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We aren't talking about U of I here, we are talking about Stanford.  If you are going to try to make the low key racist claim that Kenny only got into Stanford because of his athletic ability,  you have a burden of proof to show that Stanford's admission standards didn't apply to athletes,  and not some unrelated NCAA policy.  

I’ll take KW’s baseball acumen over Hahn’s advanced degrees for $300, Anderson...or Marco Paddy’s, for that matter. He “just” went to Southern University.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bottom of the 9th, down 3-2, Anderson on 2B, Eaton up with Moncada and Abreu behind him. Eaton had a HR earlier in the game. 

TLR had Eaton bunt Anderson to third....why?

21 minutes ago, Tony said:

Bottom of the 9th, down 3-2, Anderson on 2B, Eaton up with Moncada and Abreu behind him. Eaton had a HR earlier in the game. 

yeah didn't agree with it either... they have the top of their order coming up with a faster runner on 2nd - looked like a recipe for losing.

But hey it worked out so all is well.

29 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

yeah didn't agree with it either... they have the top of their order coming up with a faster runner on 2nd - looked like a recipe for losing.

But hey it worked out so all is well.

I think this is the source for a lot of us that are “critical” of LaRussa. It’s easy to say “It worked out so all is well.” But...

1. The move itself still didn’t “work out” It didn’t help them win the game the way they won it, and still gave away an out. 
2. We’re happy and fortunate the Sox pulled it out in the 9th. But those are the type of decisions that should give some pause moving forward. The Royals did everything they could to give the Sox the game today in the 8th and 9th. I don’t know if they’ll have luxury against the Yankees, Red Sox, Halos, etc. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

I think this is the source for a lot of us that are “critical” of LaRussa. It’s easy to say “It worked out so all is well.” But...

1. The move itself still didn’t “work out” It didn’t help them win the game the way they won it, and still gave away an out. 
2. We’re happy and fortunate the Sox pulled it out in the 9th. But those are the type of decisions that should give some pause moving forward. The Royals did everything they could to give the Sox the game today in the 8th and 9th. I don’t know if they’ll have luxury against the Yankees, Red Sox, Halos, etc. 

The Blue Jays and Astros are each scarier than the Angels...

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Eaton has been trash at the plate for much of the last two seasons? Two for 11 this week? 

11 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Many people here owe TLR an apology. He's been pretty spectacular as of late. 

No one here will admit they where less than perfect in their analysis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Tony said:

The team has been scuffling with RISP thus I think it was an ok move. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I wanted Eaton to swing away but if you think of all the possible outs that don't advance him, K, pop out in field, shallow fly ball to the OF , GO to pitcher or 3rd base then I can understand wanting a fast runner on 3rd with just 1 out. Of course then maybe Mathehy walks Moncada and tried to set up the DP but he didn't . I know it's sort of playing for the tie rather than for the win., but you have to tie it 1st.

I was more bothered that TLR didn't PH for either Leury or Madrigal in the 8th with a guy like Holland who sucks against lefties. Leury's strong side isn't LH and I would have preferred Lamb or Collins to have at least pinch hit for Madrigal. I don't know if KC had a rested LHP in the BP but a good manager would know that and decide if he thought PH Lamb or Collins was worth it if there was a LH warming up.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I wanted Eaton to swing away but if you think of all the possible outs that don't advance him, K, pop out in field, shallow fly ball to the OF , GO to pitcher or 3rd base then I can understand wanting a fast runner on 3rd with just 1 out. Of course then maybe Mathehy walks Moncada and tried to set up the DP but he didn't . I know it's sort of playing for the tie rather than for the win., but you have to tie it 1st.

I was more bothered that TLR didn't PH for either Leury or Madrigal in the 8th with a guy like Holland who sucks against lefties. Leury's strong side isn't LH and I would have preferred Lamb or Collins to have at least pinch hit for Madrigal. I don't know if KC had a rested LHP in the BP but a good manager would know that and decide if he thought PH Lamb or Collins was worth it if there was a LH warming up.

How much are you factoring Eaton's .200 average and 2 for 11 over the past week?