The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

3 minutes ago, tray said:

Players should heed their Manager's direction. The take sign was on and everybody knew it.

It was a foolish and selfish move by Yermin. He is still one of my favorite players but that was a cheap shot and  whether or not you think it was, the other team and their fans did.

In basketball when a team has an insurmountable lead near the end of the game, BOTH teams put their scrubs in.  It is an unwritten rule. There is a reason for that.

You don't send LeBron in to  put a dunk demonstration on. 

Hard to teach some people lessons that they  refuse to learn, including good sportsmanship.  Carry on.

A manager has the right to dress down a player for ignoring a sign if that really happened here. The rest was an overreaction.

The Sox did take some regulars out by the end of the game.  And the Twins should have had a real pitcher in there. Having some softball pitcher in there was absurd.

Finally, I don't think hitting a home run is bad sportsmanship. In this case, it was a solo homer, not a grand slam. One run is not a slam dunk.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, tray said:

Players should heed their Manager's direction. The take sign was on and everybody knew it.

It was a foolish and selfish move by Yermin. He is still one of my favorite players but that was a cheap shot and  whether or not you think it was, the other team and their fans did.

In basketball when a team has an insurmountable lead near the end of the game, BOTH teams put their scrubs in.  It is an unwritten rule. There is a reason for that.

Hard to teach some people lessons that they  refuse to learn, including good sportsmanship.  Carry on.

Go back and watch - yermin isn't even looking at the dugout -not long enough to get any sign.

There wasn't any fucking take sign on.  That was all a lie - but yeah everyone knew it.

Lol

basketball has one -like only one "hurt my feelings rule"  Don't shoot when the game is over and the clock us running out - that's it.

Edited by harkness99
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, harkness99 said:

Go back and watch - yermin isn't even looking at the dugout -not long enough to get any sign.

There wasn't any fucking take sign on.  That was all a lie - but yeah everyone knew it.

Lol

Yeah, that is Fake News, agreed. Go watch Yermin...he looks out of the batters box for maybe 1.5 seconds tops, no signal was there, GTFO here with that.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, tray said:

What would you have done if you were Baldelli? Nothing?

Yes nothing -  These old school you hurt my feelings so now i need to hurt your feelings games that baseball does

They are a fucking joke and really don't exist in any other professional sports... not even close to the degree it does in baseball.

This shit they do from the 1920s needs to be long gone.

Edited by harkness99
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, tray said:

Old school baseball would have called for Mercedes to get a shave at 95mph on his next plate appearance,

You don't let a guy show you up, show your team up, and show your fans up in their stadium.

It's that simple. Baldelli asked for something that was intended to make the same point as the old school knock-down pitch, without risking injury.

If you handled it  differently as Twins manager  OK but your fans and players would think you were a pussy.

So if it is all about old school baseball, why didn't Tony have Josh Donaldson hit after he pimped a homer with this team down 2 touchdowns?  If it is about old school baseball how come he didn't answer the throw at Mercedes with one of his own?  If it is about old school baseball, why did Tony talk to the media about what happened in the Sox locker room instead of keeping it between them?

Answer:  Because Tony LaRussa is full of shit.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tray said:

Tony actually said he missed the sign, so this isn't true.

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

Then why ask the question if all you are going to do is repeat your same points?

You don't want to hear anyone else's opinion, you just want to keep defending Tony, because you met him once and he was "polite" to you. 

You're a waste of time. 

To be fair, I got his autograph when I was like 10 at a game in Arlington Texas.  He was actually a super nice guy when he gave it to me.  I guess I balance this out.

If I’m a veteran on the team, someone who’s been on the team for the rebuild years, I’m getting the guys together trying to convince everyone to not play the game and forfeit till TLR and Reaindorf publicly apologizes for this bullshit. 

1 minute ago, Joshua Strong said:

If I’m a veteran on the team, someone who’s been on the team for the rebuild years, I’m getting the guys together trying to convince everyone to not play the game and forfeit till TLR and Reaindorf publicly apologizes for this bullshit. 

That would be Leury Garcia and he’s playing more than he ever has. I’m sure he loves Tony!

2 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Dear God

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joshua Strong said:

That would not be good advice unless something else had happened behind the scenes way worse than this.

These people are playing for contracts and their careers. The manager being a jerkass isn’t worth hurting your own career with something like that.

• Like 1

I'll be fine with these old school unwritten rules the first time I see the team with a position player pitching, just bunting back to the pitcher their next AB to get the game over.

If Yermin strikes out against the guy, he never hears the end of it. Hit a HR, and Tony has to worry about his legacy. I hated the hire when it happened. The team looks like it may very well run away with a division title, and I hate it even more.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I'll be fine with these old school unwritten rules the first time I see the team with a position player just bunting back to the pitcher their next AB to get the game over.

yeah baseball needs to get done with this crap.

2 hours ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

What this whole fiasco has taught me is that LaRussa is more concerned with his legacy than he is with managing this team.  

In his head, he's apparently convinced himself that by calling out Yermin and apologizing to the Twins, he's putting his respect for the game and his own personal consistency (see Tatis comments last season) above all else.  He's being noble.  A statesman of the game.  Creating a narrative of "he always put the game first, even when faced with difficult decisions".  

Of course, the popular abandonment of "unwritten rules" is just one more piece of 2021 baseball he doesn't comprehend, much less recognize. 

I really believe he's completely unaware of the damage he's currently doing to his legacy and, rather, thinks he's enhancing his legacy.  

Spot on.

9 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

go back and watch no one is looking at the coaches for signs.. this is all a fake narrative that tony made up.

he swears he saw Yermin digging in, ran to the top of the dugout steps and was screaming "TAKE TAKE TAKE"

none of this ever happened but alcohol is known to impair your judgement and dull your senses

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'll be fine with these old school unwritten rules the first time I see the team with a position player pitching, just bunting back to the pitcher their next AB to get the game over.

Just maybe Yermin was trying to pop it up to make an out. A walk prolongs the game.   It seems this organization has become a soap opera with TLR. 

• Like 1