The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

8 hours ago, tray said:

Old school baseball would have called for Mercedes to get a shave at 95mph on his next plate appearance,

You don't let a guy show you up, show your team up, and show your fans up in their stadium.

It's that simple. Baldelli asked for something that was intended to make the same point as the old school knock-down pitch, without risking injury.

If you handled it  differently as Twins manager  OK but your fans and players would think you were a pussy.

This is the La Russa and not the Baldelli thread, so who the fuck cares?

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is the La Russa and not the Baldelli thread, so who the fuck cares?

You're getting as spicy as the fried chicken down in Nashville these days...maybe need some Krystal/Waffle House instead?  Zaxby's?

Between Ray Ray, yourself and Chitownsports, things have been getting a bit chippy.   Can't we all just get along (at least while we're in first place), haha?

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You're getting as spicy as the fried chicken down in Nashville these days...maybe need some Krystal/Waffle House instead?  Zaxby's?

Between Ray Ray, yourself and Chitownsports, things have been getting a bit chippy.   Can't we all just get along (at least while we're in first place), haha?

I’ve been mostly composed since my one major blowup, but there is zero reason to defend La Russa here and I can’t believe are posters here actually trying to.  Saying you are ok with the opposing team throwing at your player is 100% unacceptable and even the old-school posters who try to defend La Russa at every turn should acknowledge that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It would be quite boring if we all agreed on everything.  Lot of us been here for over a decade now and at least usually it's not personal just good old fashioned strong debate. 

TLR is a stuck in his ways old drunk but I will defend him as long as I see good baseball two days out of three on the field.  Some argue that's on the players only to play, but I feel I've seen too many talented but under achieving players to think the manager doesn't have an impact on everyday readiness.  

If the old fuck managed to bring his boys together accidentally or otherwise well maybe it's meant to be.

• Like 1

I assume it was brought up but the Boston announcers were talking about the game this year where Mercedes came in to pitch in a blowout.  I had forgot about that.  Jerry Remy and Ellis Burks both agreed that Mercedes never should have swung and LaRussa should have handled it in his office not w the press.  

Here's my take on the Yermin 3-0 HR. 

1. Tony LaRussa, who has managed more than 5,000 games, knew EXACTLY what would happen if Yermin teed off on a 3-0 pitch up 15-4 in the 9th inning. 

2. TLR KNEW, I'm sure because he'd seen it happen before many many times, that the Twins would be pissed, AND WOULD THROW THE BASEBALL AT YERMIN or another Sox player in retaliation because of Yermin's swing. 

3. TLR also KNEW that the risk of injury to his player from being thrown at, while not high, was INFINITELY more important than hitting a HR or a base hit in the 15-4 blowout and showing up the Twins. 

4. So, to PROTECT HIS PLAYER, and HIS TEAM, TLR gave the TAKE sign to Yermin on the 3-0 pitch.

5. This was ABSOLUTELY the correct call.  

6. TLR was thinking AHEAD at the repercussions of swinging 3-0. 

7. Yermin, meanwhile, was completely consumed into himself when he ignored the TAKE sign and swung away. He didn't know the likely repercussions, because he'd NEVER been in this situation in a major league game.  Tony LaRussa, on the other hand, had managed more than 5,000 such games. 

8. So when Yermin ignored the take sign and hit the HR, LaRussa said he would be disciplined, because he put his health and the team at risk. Whatever discipline it was did not keep Yermin out of the next two games, so it was not severe. But it was enough to get across the point that you need to respect the take sign. There was a logical reason behind it meant to protect his health and the team health. 

9. LaRussa's other comment about Yermin "playing his game" was also appropriate. Players have to play for the team. Tony isn't reigning them in for no reason. He said if he's swung away at 3-1, he would have been fine with it.  But LaRussa knew were the line was in the Twins eyes, and he was 100% correct about that when the Twins threw at Yermin the next game. 

10. Who started the dissension here?  Not TLR.  He put on a take sign that NO ONE would have known about if Yermin hadn't blown it off.

11. The controversy, and the risk, was started by Yermin Mercedes, who ignored the sign because he couldn't help himself, and who certainly wasn't thinking through the consequences. 

12. I'm not defending in any way the Twins getting pissed and throwing at Yermin.  But it was nearly 100% certain to happen once Yermin jacked the ball out of the park. And TLR knew it. 

13. So, I think TLR was the ONLY one thinking ahead, and the only one to put Yermin's health and the team ahead of a meaningless HR in the 9th inning of a 15-4 game. 

14. When I read that Yermin had hit the HR, I personally didn't have a problem with it. Now that I've read some articles about it and realized WHY TLR put on the take sign, I believe that TLR is right. 

15. This has NOTHING TO DO with Old School v. New School.  It has to do with TLR knowing, because he's managed 5,000+ baseball games, EXACTLY what was going to happen if Yermin jacked that 3-0 pitch.  He also KNEW that the game hadn't changed to the point where the Twins would just overlook this and not retaliate. Anyone thinking that WOULDN"T happen is just naive. 

16. Lastly, a lot is being made of TLR not having a problem with the Twins reaction.  I don't think he encouraged or condoned it.  I just think he knew that was going to happen, and when it did, it drove home the point of why he gave Yermin the take sign in the first place. 

17. There have been a LOT of guys injured over the years from being hit by a pitched ball.  There have been ZERO games outcomes changed by swinging at a 3-0 pitch with a 15-4 lead in the 9th inning. 

18. So, anyone criticizing TLR is effectively ignoring the risks of the former for something that might be fun, but has ZERO benefit to winning a baseball game, which is the point of playing them. 

I'm not apologizing for TLR here. I'm saying he was WAY more savvy about the situation than any of his critics have been. And certainly WAY more savvy than Yermin Mercedes, who appears to have only been thinking about himself. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, VAfan said:

1. Tony LaRussa, who has managed more than 5,000 games, knew EXACTLY what would happen if Yermin teed off on a 3-0 pitch up 15-4 in the 9th inning. 

2. TLR KNEW, I'm sure because he'd seen it happen before many many times, that the Twins would be pissed, AND WOULD THROW THE BASEBALL AT YERMIN or another Sox player in retaliation because of Yermin's swing. 

3. TLR also KNEW that the risk of injury to his player from being thrown at, while not high, was INFINITELY more important than hitting a HR or a base hit in the 15-4 blowout and showing up the Twins. 

4. So, to PROTECT HIS PLAYER, and HIS TEAM, TLR gave the TAKE sign to Yermin on the 3-0 pitch.

7. Yermin, meanwhile, was completely consumed into himself when he ignored the TAKE sign and swung away. He didn't know the likely repercussions, because he'd NEVER been in this situation in a major league game.  Tony LaRussa, on the other hand, had managed more than 5,000 such games. 

8. So when Yermin ignored the take sign and hit the HR, LaRussa said he would be disciplined, because he put his health and the team at risk. Whatever discipline it was did not keep Yermin out of the next two games, so it was not severe. But it was enough to get across the point that you need to respect the take sign. There was a logical reason behind it meant to protect his health and the team health. 

9. LaRussa's other comment about Yermin "playing his game" was also appropriate. Players have to play for the team. Tony isn't reigning them in for no reason. He said if he's swung away at 3-1, he would have been fine with it.  But LaRussa knew were the line was in the Twins eyes, and he was 100% correct about that when the Twins threw at Yermin the next game. 

10. Who started the dissension here?  Not TLR.  He put on a take sign that NO ONE would have known about if Yermin hadn't blown it off.

11. The controversy, and the risk, was started by Yermin Mercedes, who ignored the sign because he couldn't help himself, and who certainly wasn't thinking through the consequences. 

12. I'm not defending in any way the Twins getting pissed and throwing at Yermin.  But it was nearly 100% certain to happen once Yermin jacked the ball out of the park. And TLR knew it. 

13. So, I think TLR was the ONLY one thinking ahead, and the only one to put Yermin's health and the team ahead of a meaningless HR in the 9th inning of a 15-4 game. 

14. When I read that Yermin had hit the HR, I personally didn't have a problem with it. Now that I've read some articles about it and realized WHY TLR put on the take sign, I believe that TLR is right. 

15. This has NOTHING TO DO with Old School v. New School.  It has to do with TLR knowing, because he's managed 5,000+ baseball games, EXACTLY what was going to happen if Yermin jacked that 3-0 pitch.  He also KNEW that the game hadn't changed to the point where the Twins would just overlook this and not retaliate. Anyone thinking that WOULDN"T happen is just naive. 

16. Lastly, a lot is being made of TLR not having a problem with the Twins reaction.  I don't think he encouraged or condoned it.  I just think he knew that was going to happen, and when it did, it drove home the point of why he gave Yermin the take sign in the first place. 

17. There have been a LOT of guys injured over the years from being hit by a pitched ball.  There have been ZERO games outcomes changed by swinging at a 3-0 pitch with a 15-4 lead in the 9th inning. 

18. So, anyone criticizing TLR is effectively ignoring the risks of the former for something that might be fun, but has ZERO benefit to winning a baseball game, which is the point of playing them. 

I'm not apologizing for TLR here. I'm saying he was WAY more savvy about the situation than any of his critics have been. And certainly WAY more savvy than Yermin Mercedes, who appears to have only been thinking about himself. 

IN all of this, you're missing the point that TA and Yermin and Fernando Tatis (grand slam against Texas on a 3-0 count against Juan Nicasio last summer) are making.

It's that baseball is a sport, its played for fun, and it's played for the fans, especially young kids...the next generation.

Do you think those young fans would prefer that Yermin took 3 49 mph eephus strikes (which, in and of itself, was at least SOMEWHAT disrespectful to the game, and created a clown-ish sideshow environment in the first place) and sit down and "GRAB SOME BENCH" because of the lead or HAVE SOME FUN SWINGING AGAINST HIS FRIEND that just so happened to be pitching in that anomalous situation...a once in a lifetime opportunity?

Will sitting down for three strikes or running out the clock when you're team's up 45-10 with the ball in the final minutes....or running the old North Carolina four corners offense to end the game excite anyone about playing the sport of baseball?

PROBABLY NOT.

Baseball increasingly is about ENTERTAINMENT.

Entertaining the fans, who pay the bills to watch the product.

The product is exciting players and their exploits, not crusty old school managers hanging on for historical wins as a manager records.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, VAfan said:

That's certainly a take. Not a take a lot of modern baseball people will agree with(which is obvious from all of the reactions). The entire idea of "not running up the score" in baseball is fucking stupid. So I shouldn't try as hard because your team is playing like shit? It's not like other sports where you can just run out the clock when you are up big. You still have to compete, 1 vs 1, hitter against pitcher, until they record 27 outs. If you don't want a guy to smoke a 3-0 pitch, then throw a better pitch? Put an actual pitcher in? 3-0, 3-1, who gives a shit when he swings? All taking a walk is going to do is PROLONG the game. Especially when you don't have an actual pitcher in. Should the Sox have just stood up there and not swung at anything? The "pitches" the guy was throwing were the most insulting thing about this entire situation, to me. I would have cranked that ball too.

This entire narrative of "not showing up your opponent" is bullshit. This isn't little league, and guys get paid to hit the ball. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

^^^ I’m not even going to quote that wall of text above. But your missing the part where Tony said he wish he could have sent three pitchers up to bat who would hit little ground balls to record outs in order to “respect” the game and the other team. Gimme a break. 

• Like 3

Tiger Woods in the 1997 Masters or one of those 1999-2000 Grand Slams he won by something like 8-10 strokes...he should have just let up on the gas and allowed all of his opponents back into the tourney in order to make it more exciting for the fans watching at home?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

IN all of this, you're missing the point that TA and Yermin and Fernando Tatis (grand slam against Texas on a 3-0 count against Juan Nicasio last summer) are making.

It's that baseball is a sport, its played for fun, and it's played for the fans, especially young kids...the next generation.

Do you think those young fans would prefer that Yermin took 3 49 mph eephus strikes (which, in and of itself, was at least SOMEWHAT disrespectful to the game, and created a clown-ish sideshow environment in the first place) and sit down and "GRAB SOME BENCH" because of the lead or HAVE SOME FUN SWINGING AGAINST HIS FRIEND that just so happened to be pitching in that anomalous situation...a once in a lifetime opportunity?

Will sitting down for three strikes or running out the clock when you're team's up 45-10 with the ball in the final minutes....or running the old North Carolina four corners offense to end the game excite anyone about playing the sport of baseball?

PROBABLY NOT.

Baseball increasingly is about ENTERTAINMENT.

Entertaining the fans, who pay the bills to watch the product.

The product is exciting players and their exploits, not crusty old school managers hanging on for historical wins as a manager records.

I'm not missing the point.  

First off, I don't know the context of the Tatis slam, so let's leave that out. 

As I said, from a fun standpoint, Yermin swinging made total sense, which is why I didn't have a problem with it in the moment. 

But TLR knew what the repercussions would be, and they in fact played out. So to avoid the risk to his player, he put up the take sign. One pitch. Yermin would have been free to swing away on any other count. 

Those who claim TLR was wrong are ignoring the fact that the game HASN'T changed to the point where the Twins would just take it and not retaliate. It's wishful thinking. 

TLR knew, and was right. And again, had Yermin JUST FOLLOWED THE TAKE SIGN, then NOTHING would have happened. 

• Haha 1

Just now, ShoeLessRob said:

^^^ I’m not even going to quote that wall of text above. But your missing the part where Tony said he wish he could have sent three pitchers up to bat who would hit little ground balls to record outs in order to “respect” the game and the other team. Gimme a break. 

Seriously. What is this, little league? These are grown ass men being paid to play a game and ENTERTAIN us. If they can put up 30 runs, I want to see them put up 30 runs. If you don't have any pitchers left, well, sorry? Especially a division opponent. Eat up every single pitcher they've got. The MLB season is a marathon, and wearing down your opponent will pay dividends down the line.

Taking your foot off the gas is one of the dumbest things to do in sports. I absolutely cannot stand it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

That's certainly a take. Not a take a lot of modern baseball people will agree with(which is obvious from all of the reactions). The entire idea of "not running up the score" in baseball is fucking stupid. So I shouldn't try as hard because your team is playing like shit? It's not like other sports where you can just run out the clock when you are up big. You still have to compete, 1 vs 1, hitter against pitcher, until they record 27 outs. If you don't want a guy to smoke a 3-0 pitch, then throw a better pitch? Put an actual pitcher in? 3-0, 3-1, who gives a shit when he swings? All taking a walk is going to do is PROLONG the game. Especially when you don't have an actual pitcher in. Should the Sox have just stood up there and not swung at anything? The "pitches" the guy was throwing were the most insulting thing about this entire situation, to me. I would have cranked that ball too.

This entire narrative of "not showing up your opponent" is bullshit. This isn't little league, and guys get paid to hit the ball. 

I don't have a problem with running up the score. I didn't have a problem with Yermin swinging.

Buf if I KNOW, because I've managed 5,000+ baseball games, that hitting a HR in that situation is going to get the other team to throw at my player, then I'm giving him a TAKE SIGN 100% of the time for that one pitch.  Because the risk of him getting hurt is real.  Winning 16-4 instead of 15-4 is completely meaningless. 

Just now, Paulie4Pres said:

Seriously. What is this, little league? These are grown ass men being paid to play a game and ENTERTAIN us. If they can put up 30 runs, I want to see them put up 30 runs. If you don't have any pitchers left, well, sorry? Especially a division opponent. Eat up every single pitcher they've got. The MLB season is a marathon, and wearing down your opponent will pay dividends down the line.

Taking your foot off the gas is one of the dumbest things to do in sports. I absolutely cannot stand it.

You missed the TLR quote where he said if it was 3-1, he was fine with hitting the crap out of the ball. 

TLR KNEW where the line was in the Twins eyes, and he was proven 100% correct in that assessment. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, VAfan said:

The problem is that half of your novela here is based off of a lie and something that never happened.

There was no take sign - go back and watch the game. At the end no one is even looking at the dugout because there is no point.  They probably expected Yermin not to swing - but all the "i ran to the top of the dugout" ect ect - that's all a bunch of BS.

This theory that Larussa was playing chess and not checkers made me fucking laugh so hard... cmon man

If this is what he was doing - he would have said that the 20 times he was asked about it.

Just no way man

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Right. It’s not our job to get ourselves out. There’s 27 outs in the game, play the game til the final out. If you have the ball boy out there throwing BP, tough shit. 

• Like 1

Just now, SoxAce said:

Say it TA. :lol:

Anderson wants the game to change. He doesn't want retaliation for those swings. I would agree with him on that. 

But he's not the manager, who has to assess the likely consequences and assess the risk/reward of his player getting plunked versus a meaningless 9th inning run in a blowout. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, VAfan said:

Anderson wants the game to change. He doesn't want retaliation for those swings. I would agree with him on that. 

But he's not the manager, who has to assess the likely consequences and assess the risk/reward of his player getting plunked versus a meaningless 9th inning run in a blowout. 

thats not why larussa cared - he said over and over why he cared.. because he thought it was bad sportsmanship..

It had nothing to do with protecting the players... no one is buying that line. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, harkness99 said:

The problem is that half of your novela here is based off of a lie and something that never happened.

There was no take sign - go back and watch the game. At the end no one is even looking at the dugout because there is no point.  They probably expected Yermin not to swing - but all the "i ran to the top of the dugout" ect ect - that's all a bunch of BS.

This theory that Larussa was playing chess and not checkers made me fucking laugh so hard... cmon man

If this is what he was doing - he would have said that the 20 times he was asked about it.

Just no way man

So you think TLR was just LYING when he said he and the 3rd base coach gave the take sign??  How do you know what the signs were?