The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, Tony said:

This also isn't true because Jayce Tingler is 40 years old and is clearly an old school red ass. 

It won't change until people stop accepting it. And there are already far too many people on this board defending the actions of LaRussa. 

Well that's my point as long that "unwritten rules" shit gets passed on to someone  younger it will go on.  We agree the mercy rule completely eliminates this thinking.  Not only does it give everybody incentive to swing away in blowouts headed to the 8th it also puts the onus on the manager to end the game so nobody can get all ass blasted if they continue and the lead balloons.  In a situation like last night I'd imagine the Twins take the forfeit.

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I'm surprised TLR doesn't have a problem with Hendriks hooting and hollering out there before he blows a game. He needs to STFU until he starts earning him contract. Dude acts like a baffoon and doesn't get the job done. 

I fucking love it. Do you out there.  Dude got the 5 out save the other day and was light's out today so keep yelling.

3 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Guys will be upset with it. As a player, I would absolutely be upset with it. Guys want their at bats. They want their innings. They want to play. You do that enough times in a season, and it's costing guys hits, RBIs, home runs, walks, strikeouts, etc.

Also, most competitive individuals want to finish out the game... 

I do think it opens up pandora's box and ultimately I don't think it's a great idea, but it has some merit. 

What's to stop a manager from trying to end a game after 3 innings if the score is 14-0? You would need to have some rules attached to it, like it can only be evoked in the 8th or 9th inning...but even then I'm not crazy about it. 

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

I played college baseball as well.  I once hit a kid when I was younger because my dipshit coach told me to hit him because he hit a home run and was disrespecting the team in an earlier game.  I did it because he was my coach and it was an unwritten rule and I listened to my coach or else.  The kid lost his spleen but at least we honored old school meathead baseball.  Younger me was a fucking moron for listening to a moron coach.  Luckily we have gotten away from the land of barbarians.  I got into the heat of battle with my opponents.  And as a pitcher sometimes I won, sometimes I lost.  I never blamed the hitter for hitting the home run.  I blamed myself for throwing a shitty pitch or hell tipped my cap on a hitter putting a great swing on an awesome pitch.  My coaches over the years however, they had different thoughts. A lot of it was bad.  It's time to get rid of these dinosaurs.  

Wow that's horrible. I don't blame you for listening for your manager at that age. Poor guy. I'm sure you felt pretty awful about it too. That just sucks all around. 

Unfortunately, it will take somebody getting seriously hurt in the MLB for the "beaning" tradition to change. 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Well that's my point as long that "unwritten rules" shit gets passed on to someone  younger it will go on.  We agree the mercy rule completely eliminates this thinking.  Not only does it give everybody incentive to swing away in blowouts headed to the 8th it also puts the onus on the manager to end the game so nobody can get all ass blasted if they continue and the lead balloons.  In a situation like last night I'd imagine the Twins take the forfeit.

I think the mercy rule will do the opposite.  It will cause teams to attempt to run up the score early to end the game.  Imagine if you can save pitching by just blowing the team out of the water.  I mean in high school and travel I see this exactly used.  Its an advantage to end the game quickly.  You also know they will add that as a stat and it will embarrass the lower run teams more than anything.  I never minded getting beat.  But if you were so bad that the other team had to stop playing because you suck so much.  That is more embarrassing then them running up the score.  

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I fucking love it. Do you out there.  Dude got the 5 out save the other day and was light's out today so keep yelling.

He just blew the game a couple nights ago. If he's locking it down, great, do whatever. Right now he's earning HUGE bucks and not pitching like a top closer. 

Yermin suspected he would be thrown at. That was anticipated by the sports media in both towns. He sheepishly stood there and walked to first.

Dude should have charged the mound and settled this thing himself since he created the situation.

Settle it on the field instead of blaming LaRussa like a pussy.   I sense this thing isn't over until the teams have one of those rhubarbs.

Hopefully no one will get hurt but if they are, maybe that 16th run will end up looking a lot less important.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

I do think it opens up pandora's box and ultimately I don't think it's a great idea, but it has some merit. 

What's to stop a manager from trying to end a game after 3 innings if the score is 14-0? You would need to have some rules attached to it, like it can only be evoked in the 8th or 9th inning...but even then I'm not crazy about it. 

If you asked the players, and floated the idea to them, 99% of them are going to vote against it. Even if it's only the 9th inning. Guaranteed.

If "saving the bullpen" becomes a widespread problem, then they need to change the rules for the number of pitchers you can roster, and who can actually come in to "pitch" to prevent it.

Until then? Tough shit if you're out of pitchers. That's on you. And if you put some scrub up there to throw 40-50 mph trash, we're going to crush him.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

Just now, Paulie4Pres said:

If you asked the players, and floated the idea to them, 99% of them are going to vote against it. Even if it's only the 9th inning. Guaranteed.

If "saving the bullpen" becomes a widespread problem, then they need to change the rules for the number of pitchers you can roster, and who can actually come in to "pitch" to prevent it.

Until then? Tough shit if you're out of pitches. That's on you. And if you put some scrub up there to throw 40-50 mph trash, we're going to crush him.

Yeah, I disagree with this. 

5 minutes ago, tray said:

Yermin suspected he would be thrown at. That was anticipated by the sports media in both towns. He sheepishly stood there and walked to first.

Dude should have charged the mound and settled this thing himself since he created the situation.

Settle it on the field instead of blaming LaRussa like a pussy.   I sense this thing isn't over until the teams have one of those rhubarbs.

Hopefully no one will get hurt but if they are, maybe that 16th run will end up looking a lot less important.

Bahahahahahahahhha. You are so out of touch with reality, no wonder you like TLR so much. Your both oblivious.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

3 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Until then? Tough shit if you're out of pitchers. That's on you. And if you put some scrub up there to throw 40-50 mph trash, we're going to crush him.

99 out of 100 players would be against it? Quit exaggerating bro. 

9 minutes ago, tray said:

Settle it on the field instead of blaming LaRussa like a pussy. I sense this thing isn't over until the teams have one of those rhubarbs.

LaRussa is the one who handled the situation like a "pussy."

I forget who, but another poster nailed it earlier by saying that unwritten rules are normally coming from a Neanderthal type of mindset and encourage aggression yet LaRussa basically apologized to the other team for them hitting HIS player, which makes HIM look weak.

This whole "debate" is ridiculous. There is no debate. You are not only playing for your stats, performance and money but to win the game. You score as many runs as you can, it's not over until it is over. 

For TLR to LITERALLY say, "If you think you need more runs then push but if not then show sportsmanship" is fucking asinine because it indicates there must be some arbitrary number. Who the hell is to say what number that is? So Yermin could just say, "I think we needed more." The premise is fucking stupid and is technically a contradiction.

Defending TLR at this junction is just sheer ignorance and lack of thinking. 

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Like 3

Just now, Paulie4Pres said:

Based on what? Why would the players be a fan of this at all? There's no logic behind it, and no benefit to the overwhelming majority of players. 

You're asking why somebody wouldn't leave work early while getting their full paycheck. Of course some would. 

• Thanks 1

Also, TLR managed 5,000 games but none in the last decade until this year.

We know this because, as we've covered ad nauseum, he hasn't bothered to keep up to date with the written rules of baseball and is this caught off guard in-game.

• Thanks 3

Y’all so full of shit acting like this is an issue of some crazy TLR grandpa thinking vs new school baseball.  

bull effing shit.  

Yermin knew exactly what he was doing.  He made the choice to be a punk.  Which is fine.  But he made that choice for whatever reason.   Maybe he wanted to give the Twins a big “F-U”, I dunno.  

But he knew he wasn’t supposed to do that shit.  And he knew there would be consequences.  He wanted to be a punk… and now he along with everyone else is hiding behind this old school vs new school BS.  I know what he did, you know what he did, the whole twins roster knew what he did.  And everyone is pretending they have no idea what the big deal is.  Bull shit.  

He was a punk.  Plain and simple.  Punks get thrown at.  Punks can get hurt.  Punks lead to benches clearing.  Which is fine.  But his ass was getting thrown at the minute he chose to go punk.  

Maybe TLR didn’t want all his guys getting beaned and benches clearing the next day…all cuz of the punk.  

Am I wrong? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

You're asking why somebody wouldn't leave work early while getting their full paycheck. Of course some would. 

One of the most idiotic comparisons on the planet is comparing professional athletes to other jobs. Just stop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Y’all so full of shit acting like this is an issue of some crazy TLR grandpa thinking vs new school baseball.  

bull effing shit.  

Yermin knew exactly what he was doing.  He made the choice to be a punk.  Which is fine.  But he made that choice for whatever reason.   Maybe he wanted to give the Twins a big “F-U”, I dunno.  

But he knew he wasn’t supposed to do that shit.  And he knew there would be consequences.  He wanted to be a punk… and now he along with everyone else is hiding behind this old school vs new school BS.  I know what he did, you know what he did, the whole twins roster knew what he did.  And everyone is pretending they have no idea what the big deal is.  Bull shit.  

He was a punk.  Plain and simple.  Punks get thrown at.  Punks can get hurt.  Punks lead to benches clearing.  Which is fine.  But his ass was getting thrown at the minute he chose to go punk.  

Maybe TLR didn’t want all his guys getting beaned and benches clearing the next day…all cuz of the punk.  

Am I wrong? 

Your a punk. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 3

26 minutes ago, Tony said:

I would actually argue that it could work, but not for the dumb ass reasons the LaRussa stans are talking about. If a rule needs to be put in place to protect old school slapdicks from ruining this game, they can piss off. 

However......in the 9th inning it was 15-4. The Twins decided to save a bullpen arm and put a position player on the mound. We are seeing it happen across baseball this year, and I believe it's mostly to save the bullpen. If Baldelli came out to to homeplate before the 9th inning started and meet with umpires and LaRussa and said "Hey, we're calling this, you guys win, let's go home........it's then up to LaRussa to accept or say "No, we want to play the 9th out" 

Clearly, LaRussa would have accepted and the game would have been over. And I'm not sure how many players would really be upset with it...

Incentives in baseball are tied to numbers and production. Players don't want to give up at bats. It's one of the problems with 7 inning games. Players aren't going to concede.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

For TLR to LITERALLY say, "If you think you need more runs then push but if not then show sportsmanship" is fucking asinine

Sportsmanship is not asinine. 

This isn't going to get resolved on the internet by Sox fans who criticize LaRussa  for principles like sportsmanship, not running up the score for no reason.

This is between the Twins and Mercedes and that will ultimately be how this gets resolved.  Next time Mercedes night get a brush back pitch behind his heels.

At least Robin Ventura had the balls to charge Nolan Ryan. Unfortunately he got the worst of it.   Not sure who was managing the Sox  that day..

5 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

bull effing shit.  

Am I wrong? 

No you are 100% right.

I love Yermin, but the situation was exactly how you describe it, and it ain't over yet.

6 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

bull effing shit.  

Am I wrong? 

Punks hit home runs and win games.

2 minutes ago, tray said:

Sportsmanship is not asinine. 

This isn't going to get resolved on the internet by Sox fans who criticize LaRussa  for principles like sportsmanship, not running up the score for no reason.

This is between the Twins and Mercedes and that will ultimately be how this gets resolved.  Next time Mercedes night get a brush back pitch behind his heels.

At least Robin Ventura had the balls to charge Nolan Ryan. Unfortunately he got the worst of it.   Not sure who was managing the Sox  that day..

You cannot run up the score in a game played by professionals. This isn't complicated.

• Like 4