GAME THREADS WARNING

knightni

37 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

As I got older and became an employee, I started to respect Jerry the boss quite a bit. He is a really loyal guy which hurts his product, but you damn well can guarantee I wish I worked for a boss like him. He has taken care of 99.9% of his employees during the pandemic, and overall seems like a real supportive guy to have in your corner. Is he a good baseball owner as a fan, no.. not really, but he seems like a pretty honest man when it comes to his treatment of employees and that's really all you can ask of your employer as you get older.

Seeing how the Cubs, for example, are making their alternate site guys pay for their housing and exploit every loophole to screw employees out of money, and their own players, I can't help but appreciate how Jerry has handled the pandemic even more. Even Jerry being reluctant to sign 16 year olds isn't tied to risk as much as it's tied to him not liking the system (especially since he got burned by his own "employee" exploiting international kids) and how it treats those people. I'm not always proud of the on-the-field product, but I do appreciate how he runs the organization much more employee-friendly than many others do. Loyalty to me is really honorable, even if it means Lyle Muton may be the Sox GM one day.

Were they ever noted for signing 14-16 year olds and overlooking falsified birth certificates before Wilder?

We’ve been ascribing various motivations and ethical boundaries to JR for years on this subject, but why hasn’t anyone ever asked him point-blank for a legitimate answer? 

43 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

As I got older and became an employee, I started to respect Jerry the boss quite a bit. He is a really loyal guy which hurts his product, but you damn well can guarantee I wish I worked for a boss like him. He has taken care of 99.9% of his employees during the pandemic, and overall seems like a real supportive guy to have in your corner. Is he a good baseball owner as a fan, no.. not really, but he seems like a pretty honest man when it comes to his treatment of employees and that's really all you can ask of your employer as you get older.

Seeing how the Cubs, for example, are making their alternate site guys pay for their housing and exploit every loophole to screw employees out of money, and their own players, I can't help but appreciate how Jerry has handled the pandemic even more. Even Jerry being reluctant to sign 16 year olds isn't tied to risk as much as it's tied to him not liking the system (especially since he got burned by his own "employee" exploiting international kids) and how it treats those people. I'm not always proud of the on-the-field product, but I do appreciate how he runs the organization much more employee-friendly than many others do. Loyalty to me is really honorable, even if it means Lyle Muton may be the Sox GM one day.

It's Mouton and you know it!!!  Don't be such a hater, Ray!!!

4 hours ago, knightni said:

It sucks to lose.

It's easy to point blame and be angry.

That said, you cross the line into personal attacks on the player or manager here at Soxtalk - expect a suspension.

No exceptions.

Please be a grown up and think before you type.

Thanks man. Game threads have gotten out of control. Remember back in the day half this BS was addressed. I love chatting with everyone here, but ill be honest that game threads get really annoying and its usually the same cast of characters. I understand the team is expected to do well, but the constant bit..ing and moaning over every decision who ever the manager is at the moment is lame. Just like the post I called out the other day about someone saying fing someone's girlfriend. It has no place here. I've been here since the beginning 02-03 maybe and its been crazy in the game threads the last couple of seasons

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I agree with the sentiment and idea, but if I may -- this guidance needs to be clearer as "personal attacks" is an extremely broad category that encompasses about 90% of what's in a losing game thread.  Wishing for a specific person's death (!!) obviously, and comically, over the line.  "[Insert player] is an idiot" is a clear personal attack but I can't imagine it will result in a ban.  "[Insert manager] is a drunk" is somewhere in between and I legitimately don't know whether that falls into what you're describing.  Just my $.02

personal attack of other posters is the biggest thing id assume....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is a well-thought-out response.  Good job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, knightni said:

It sucks to lose.

It's easy to point blame and be angry.

That said, you cross the line into personal attacks on the player or manager here at Soxtalk - expect a suspension.

No exceptions.

Please be a grown up and think before you type.

Thank you for this. I stopped coming to game threads years ago because of this and this year it’s been worse than ever.  I just want to come to enjoy the game with fellow Sox fans.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, quickman said:

Thank you for this. I stopped coming to game threads years ago because of this and this year it’s been worse than ever.  I just want to come to enjoy the game with fellow Sox fans.

Totally agree

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There are some really angry people on this board.  

It's why I stay out of game threads this season. It's a cesspool. Godspeed to those that brave them.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

It's why I stay out of game threads this season. It's a cesspool. Godspeed to those that brave them.

You can be angry or upset by a certain play or whatever. But its constant about everything

• Like 2

Game threads are highly reactionary and hyperbolic. It's like watching the game in a bar with a bunch of die hards. I honestly see no difference in the game threads here vs the Bulls game threads at RealGM. If you are appalled by game threads here, you will appalled by them in any populated fan forum. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Game threads are highly reactionary and hyperbolic. It's like watching the game in a bar with a bunch of die hards. I honestly see no difference in the game threads here vs the Bulls game threads at RealGM. If you are appalled by game threads here, you will appalled by them in any populated fan forum. 

I've been saying this for years.  If you don't like the visceral reactions in real time just don't come into them, they are there for venting and celebration and off the cuff remarks.  It's why quite a few forums isolate them and then lock them up when they are over and have special moderation rules in them, usually a little more lenient on rough language and such.

edit: changed this after a personal and well thought out reply from the poster.  time to move on.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Yep. I've red some Yankee and Twins threads and they are much worse in terms of reaction. The Cubs threads are so bad fans have given up and succumbed to their fates. 

Nobody should be wishing death on anybody, period.  I don't think that is considered normal sports bar banter.  I like the game threads and think all the back and forth, moaning, and anger is pretty entertaining even if its directed at me!  Death and injury crosses a line though.  Nothing fun about that.

22 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I've been saying this for years.  If you don't like the visceral reactions in real time just don't come into them, they are there for venting and celebration and off the cuff remarks.  It's why quite a few forums isolate them and then lock them up when they are over and have special moderation rules in them, usually a little more lenient on rough language and such.

That said, some people are conflating the horrible, nasty, disgusting posts about death with bog standard bitching about player and manager performance.  Come on man. I'll also say this since nobody else has: I never thought I'd see a "I'm sorry people were offended" apology post here when the post was so vile it managed to get reported on Twitter and Reddit within 12 hours of its making.  Be better and reconsider the path in life that has led you to making that post and "apology".

Twitter and Reddit?

Nashville Hot takes travel far and wide.

Go Sox!

6 hours ago, reiks12 said:

The "i wish Larussa would die" comment got some attention outside soxtalk. Just a bad look. We get heated in game threads but use some common sense. If you wish someone would die for baseball decisions you need to reevaluate who you are and get some help. Thank you for making this thread.

Bad losses like last night's are going to happen. I personally am upset whenever I see Lamb's name in the lineup over Vaughn. However the Sox have put together a team that should make the playoffs again this year. This board is full of smart baseball minds who shouldn't live and die with each game, each run scored. The Sox are going to lose a lot of games but still should make the playoffs. I know die-hard fans rarely "enjoy the ride," but they should try.

As far as LaRussa, my observation is like most managers, he's going to be ripped after virtually every loss, except the one loss that follows a long winning streak. You can criticize his Sunday lineups without wishing harm to him. It's just a damn game, folks. The only games to completely freak out at are ones in the playoffs like last year when Ricky pulled Dunning after 15 pitches. That was arguably one of the worst decisions in managing history (not hyperbole). It's OK to say Ricky was incompetent based on that decision but not OK to say he deserves bodily harm. It's still just a game.

Why can't people think of Randy Quaid in Major League when they start losing it during close games or losses? That character stands up as the crazy baseball fan.

Edited by greg775