GAME THREADS WARNING

knightni

1 minute ago, knightni said:

If you don't know the difference between being critical and personally attacking someone, perhaps there's a local college-level  Communications course out there that you can take for a  Summer credit.

Sure, but as I read the initial post, calling a FO figure "a moron" could be construed as a personal attack. So, rather than a backhanded insult, I wanted to clarify.

Fair? (And yes, I get that mods have a tough job.)

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

Remember when you quit the site?

When I posted less because it became less fun? Yes, I do this for entertainment. When it becomes less entertaining, I do it less. It isn't rocket science. Remember when mods here couldn't take jokes and run to defend each other from posters? Ahhh, yes, I too remember.

Edit: also, do you remember when Tony stopped watching the team and the games after 1 week of the season because it wasn't worth his time? Ahh, yes. Let me guess.. him saying something like that isn't at all similar to me saying something like I'm posting less? Lol

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I didnt know you had personal opinions about people on the forum. This is very hurtful. I hope I can recover. And jokes are funny for anyone that doesn't take themselves too seriously. 

I don't like Larry The Cable Guy. I don't think he's funny. 

You are Larry The Cable Guy. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

When I posted less because it became less fun? Yes, I do this for entertainment. When it becomes less entertaining, I do it less. It isn't rocket science. Remember when mods here couldn't take jokes and run to defend each other from posters? Ahhh, yes, I too remember.

No it was when you posted a dramatic goodbye post and quit because you couldn't take @ron883's joke. I just find it weird how often you lecture people when they respond to critical posts from you for not understanding "jokes" but then you had to write a pity letter and quit due to a poster's actions.

• Fire 3

11 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Sure, but as I read the initial post, calling a FO figure "a moron" could be construed as a personal attack. So, rather than a backhanded insult, I wanted to clarify.

While there are going to be varying degrees which we won't lay out to allow interpretations, I think personal attacks should be more interpreted as bringing in stuff outside the field (family, etc) to be critical just because they made a bad play. But there are degrees of this, drake laroche posts were family but he also brought the kid into the white sox business. So, I know people want firm guidance but we aren't going to provide it, you aren't going to be banned if a player airballs a throw to first and you call them a moron, no.

17 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

"Moron" and "idiot" are different than "I hope your kid gets run over by a wheat thresher."

• Haha 3
  • Love 1

Just now, bmags said:

No it was when you posted a dramatic goodbye post and quit because you couldn't take @ron883's joke. I just find it weird how often you lecture people when they respond to critical posts from you for not understanding "jokes" but then you had to write a pity letter and quit due to a poster's actions.

Lol, I take more shit from posters here than any or you sensitive whiny mods ever do and I laugh at them 99.9% of the time with the poster. I posted less because posts had been deleted after I called out all the posters who felt the need to get personal and ended up wrong. If you're gonna dish it, then delete posts in response its not fun for me.. I don't like censorship on forums.  Ron posts cracks on me all the time and I always find them funny. Pretending I get angry over them is just flat out wrong. I've never once contacted a moderator about a poster being "mean" to me and I certainly don't report posts but keep insinuating whatever you'd like. 

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

While there are going to be varying degrees which we won't lay out to allow interpretations, I think personal attacks should be more interpreted as bringing in stuff outside the field (family, etc) to be critical just because they made a bad play. But there are degrees of this, drake laroche posts were family but he also brought the kid into the white sox business. So, I know people want firm guidance but we aren't going to provide it, you aren't going to be banned if a player airballs a throw to first and you call them a moron, no.

I find this to be an issue with people today in general, especially my 22-27 y/o doctoral students. They have a very difficult time processing the gray areas and want yes/no black/white answers. As you may guess their minds explode when I answer their questions with "depends" In the field of physical therapy there are very few true answers. It always depends on the situation and what happened to the client not to mention that everyone can have anatomic variations to begin with.

It's an interesting challenge.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I find this to be an issue with people today in general, especially my 22-27 y/o doctoral students. They have a very difficult time processing the gray areas and want yes/no black/white answers. As you may guess their minds explode when I answer their questions with "depends" In the field of physical therapy there are very few true answers. It always depends on the situation and what happened to the client not to mention that everyone can have anatomic variations to begin with.

It really does feel like something that’s increased the past several years. Not sure if it’s social media and/or the “hot take” culture, but it seems people have less interest in nuance these days. You must have a strong, definitive opinion on everything and you must shout it at people ASAP. 

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I have found gen z lacks critical thinking skills.  I blame the Internet and Twitter where being loud and confident pays off more than being humble and reflective.

There is a Finnish proverb I think about often as I get older: "life, if nothing else teaches us to walk slowly".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Snopek said:

It really does feel like something that’s increased the past several years. Not sure if it’s social media and/or the “hot take” culture, but it seems people have less interest in nuance these days. You must have a strong, definitive opinion on everything and you must shout it at people ASAP. 

Chris Snopek sucked!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, knightni said:

If you don't know the difference between being critical and personally attacking someone, perhaps there's a local college-level  Communications course out there that you can take for a  Summer credit.

Kind of a smarmy response to a genuine question about your (if we’re being blunt now) poorly formulated and incoherent guidance about the rules of the board. You’re also missing the point. 

Nobody needs help differentiating between being critical and “personal attacks.” The issue is that “personal attacks” — on players, managers, owners, posters — make up close to a majority of posts on the board, let alone game threads. As a result, I think folks suspect the actual “line” is located somewhere other than where you claim to have drawn it, and would like to know where it is. Anyway, why don’t you address one of my examples for those of us who don’t find the rule so blindingly self-evident?  Take this one:  calling TLR a drunk is clearly a personal attack.  It’s also about 20% of the posts in any given game thread. Is it now over the line and suspension-worthy?

If the answer is you won’t or can’t define the standard and want to maintain maximum discretion as an admin, fine.  Just say that.

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Kind of a smarmy response to a genuine question about your (if we’re being blunt now) poorly formulated and incoherent guidance about the rules of the board. You’re also missing the point. 

Nobody needs help differentiating between being critical and “personal attacks.” The issue is that “personal attacks” — on players, managers, owners, posters — make up close to a majority of posts on the board, let alone game threads. As a result, I think folks suspect the actual “line” is located somewhere other than where you claim to have drawn it, and would like to know where it is. Anyway, why don’t you address one of my examples for those of us who don’t find the rule so blindingly self-evident?  Take this one:  calling TLR a drunk is clearly a personal attack.  It’s also about 20% of the posts in any given game thread. Is it now over the line and suspension-worthy?

If the answer is you won’t or can’t define the standard and want to maintain maximum discretion as an admin, fine.  Just say that.

Or TLR’s age, asleep at the switch, bathroom breaks...ultimately, defending TLR over posters (carrying water) ends up hurting the site, as long as they don’t wish him to die.

But how many jokes/comments about Reinsdorf’s hoped for demise...versus a desire for new ownership and more open-minded thinking?   It’s a very fine line there between joking and something unacceptable or hurtful.

59 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is clearer, thanks.

2 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I'm not being smarmy. It's an honest opinion.

If a person is unable to express their negativity in a constructive manner, then they should educate themselves.

If there is any grey area, perhaps someone should ask themselves if they could make the same comments about their mother or grandmother and feel okay with it..

Despite game threads being miserable unless I'm posting in them, I would say people don't really remember mid-00s soxtalk. It was a lot younger, and there was consistently pretty terrible jokey stuff insinuated about why ozzie chose players. There was a split where gamethreads were a bit more positive because all the negative stuff went into the chat, which was a nihilists playpen. Thank god that does not exist.

• Haha 1

Just now, knightni said:

If a person is unable to express their negativity in a constructive manner, then they should educate themselves.

If there is any grey area, perhaps someone should ask themselves if they could make the same comments about their mother or grandmother and feel okay with it..

Thanks for the platitudes, but an answer to my question would be better.

Just now, 35thstreetswarm said:

Thanks for the platitudes, but an answer to my question would be better.

Over the line is over the line. You can't describe it but you know it when you see it.

If your attacking comments get screen-shot and spread onto Reddit and Twitter, then you went too far.

3 minutes ago, knightni said:

Then TLR and JR should be ruled out of bounds, but then what would happen?

2 minutes ago, knightni said:

By the way, if “would I say this about my mother” is the standard for a suspension-worthy post, you’ve just shut down Soxtalk.  So that’s even less helpful.