GAME THREADS WARNING

knightni

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Truthfully the overly optimistic posts tend to sink off the front page on their own because people don't engage them all that much,  the overly negative ones stay hot because people argue 

I believe you’re right. I actually think it’s good for the forum, too. Not everyone should be in agreement with every decision. There’s of course more negativity dominating the forum because of several bad losses, key injuries, slow starts, and the expectations entering the season. 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Honestly, the solution to the toxic culture in the fanbase isn't one unique to Soxtalk, it instead is for a change in the way the team operates. It's not just here. If you go onto Twitter and look at anything related to the White Sox, it's probably worse than here. This is the direct result of the behavior of the franchise - the years of neglect, the way they respond to the fans including regular occasions when the team calls out their fans, the losing, and then to throw something as completely nightmarish as the LaRussa hiring into that. A world series win probably changes that too, but getting there and losing to the Padres would be...well...

The White Sox fanbase might have more experience at this than others at this point, but they're not the only ones. The Bears fanbase is almost in the same boat right now. You go through random NFL related Twitter feeds and you find Bears fans ripping Pace and Nagy because that's all they've got right now. 

On the other hand, the Bulls fanbase was equally jaded for a long time, but as of right now that fanbase is sitting back and hoping for better, because they shook up the front office. They made a big trade this year, it honestly doesn't look that great right now, but people are giving them the benefit of the doubt and at least waiting as there was a genuine change in how they were handling their business. 

Great post, if you think about how Twitter and Facebook have become the new modern day message board, places like Soxtalk have become rare. If they exist, it’s because they predated modern social media. It’s much easier to pick apart posts for places like reddit. Say the same thing on Twitter, oh well it’s deleted. On to the next troll comment. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

I'll concur that chat was awesome. Game threads are really fun in blowout wins but that's about it, it's instant reaction trash most of the time, chat on the other hand was special.

I was never part of chat. Would the things said in chat fly in a message board today?

4 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Great post, if you think about how Twitter and Facebook have become the new modern day message board, places like Soxtalk have become rare. If they exist, it’s because they predated modern social media. It’s much easier to pick apart posts for places like reddit. Say the same thing on Twitter, oh well it’s deleted. On to the next troll comment. 

Another that's interesting is Indiana MBB. After this year's tourney miss, they were as toxic as anywhere. They fired the coach, couldn't get Stephens in there, but they hired a guy who immediately went out and did things they liked. Brought in solid assistant coaches including a program veteran. Immediately landed a couple recruits. Earlier this week, Indiana's Twitter Feed posted a video/meme responding to all the people who spent last year saying "Why aren't they practicing shooting free throws!!!" with a demonstration that the team was actually doing that, it had some good viral reach, and the responses to it were mostly some version of "aww yeah/love it". A handful of sensible moves that show promise and all of a sudden a fanbase gets fired up.

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

LOL nope.

Interesting reminiscing about how great chat was while commenting on how game threads are reactionary trash, when in all likelihood chat was more reactionary and wouldn't fly now a days. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Interesting reminiscing about how great chat was while commenting on how game threads are reactionary trash, when in all likelihood chat was more reactionary and wouldn't fly now a days. 

Chat was real bad.  But you have to consider most of the people within that chat were between 12 and 26 years old.  So we were idiots and grew up.  Some moved on some still post some became mods and admins.  But it was a beast we couldn't control and we all know it

53 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

On the other hand, the Bulls fanbase was equally jaded for a long time, but as of right now that fanbase is sitting back and hoping for better, because they shook up the front office. They made a big trade this year, it honestly doesn't look that great right now, but people are giving them the benefit of the doubt and at least waiting as there was a genuine change in how they were handling their business. 

This. It took a few years for Michael to sweep out his father’s permanent FO and replace with widely regarded competent management.

Even if the Reinsdorf family retains the team after Jerry steps down or passes, I have hope a similar process will play out with the White Sox.

1 hour ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Game threads haven’t changed. Every few years, some incident happens where members push the limit and the mods have to enforce rules. It’s never affected the baseball discussions. What’s the solution to the toxic culture you’re experiencing? Remove gamethreads? Moderate the negativity? Fine, but you’ll be burying this site. 

I never see this discussed - What about the opposite of the Soxtalk doomer, the overly enthusiastic superfans who post here? I find them just as annoying. But Id never suggest to limit discussions of members crowning Mercedes MVP in April or Cease Cy Young based on ST starts.  

As far as game threads go, I've heard the bar room analogy used a lot. I don't know about you guys, but I'm most certainly not hanging out at the bar with guys that are going to piss and moan on pretty much every pitch over a 162 game season. I remember game threads being mostly fun. People were usually sarcastic. A couple posters would carry on some argument for a couple pages, but it never really got personal. Then the Sox would score and all would be forgotten, or they'd lose and people would move on. It was still generally fun though - win or lose. 

For the overall culture of the board, I'm probably not the best judge. When I come to the board nowadays, I have 1 of 2 reactions: I'll either read a page or 2 of a thread and think to myself, that's enough Soxtalk for the next couple weeks. Or, I'll read something that pisses me off and I'll get caught in the fray. I will say that I don't think it's negative vs positive though. Fathom has historically been one of the most negative posters here, and he's also one of my favorite posters. He adds value. He's not hateful. He's just a pessimistic guy, and after you follow his posts for while, it's kind of funny and you realize it's just his nature, but he's authentic . I think it has more to do with hyperbole and general combativeness. Once a board becomes hyperbolic, it becomes a rat race. Then you factor in the that posters are just downright nasty to each other (myself sometimes included), and I'm not really sure if there's any recovery from that. Too many longtime posters just build up too much resentment for each other. However, I really think the competition to see who can exaggerate the most has been the board's biggest downfall. I don't think there's a fix for it because it's impossible to moderate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

As far as game threads go, I've heard the bar room analogy used a lot. I don't know about you guys, but I'm most certainly not hanging out at the bar with guys that are going to piss and moan on pretty much every pitch over a 162 game season. I remember game threads being mostly fun. People were usually sarcastic. A couple posters would carry on some argument for a couple pages, but it never really got personal. Then the Sox would score and all would be forgotten, or they'd lose and people would move on. It was still generally fun though - win or lose. 

For the overall culture of the board, I'm probably not the best judge. When I come to the board nowadays, I have 1 of 2 reactions: I'll either read a page or 2 of a thread and think to myself, that's enough Soxtalk for the next couple weeks. Or, I'll read something that pisses me off and I'll get caught in the fray. I will say that I don't think it's negative vs positive though. Fathom has historically been one of the most negative posters here, and he's also one of my favorite posters. He adds value. He's not hateful. He's just a pessimistic guy, and after you follow his posts for while, it's kind of funny and you realize it's just his nature, but he's authentic . I think it has more to do with hyperbole and general combativeness. Once a board becomes hyperbolic, it becomes a rat race. Then you factor in the that posters are just downright nasty to each other (myself sometimes included), and I'm not really sure if there's any recovery from that. Too many longtime posters just build up too much resentment for each other. However, I really think the competition to see who can exaggerate the most has been the board's biggest downfall. I don't think there's a fix for it because it's impossible to moderate. 

My thoughts exactly.  I get the sense that people talking that way have not been to a lot of bars. Where is this analogous sports bar full of whining, bitchy, tantrum-throwing neurotics so I can avoid it?  At most bars people -- believe it or not -- reserve their venom for the *other* team and homer out about their own.  You know, like fans?  I know exactly one person who talks like game thread posters at bars, and people go out of their way to avoid watching games with him. Go to a bar and start whining at every pitch, calling established stars garbage, talking about tearing down loaded teams based on one loss, etc. See where that gets you. 

6 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

My thoughts exactly.  I get the sense that people talking that way have not been to a lot of bars. Where is this analogous sports bar full of whining, bitchy, tantrum-throwing neurotics so I can avoid it?  At most bars people -- believe it or not -- reserve their venom for the *other* team and homer out about their own.  You know, like fans?  I know exactly one person who talks like game thread posters at bars, and people go out of their way to avoid watching games with him. Go to a bar and start whining at every pitch, calling established stars garbage, talking about tearing down loaded teams based on one loss, etc. See where that gets you. 

I've been told constantly that those posters should be left alone and they're just "venting." Let them vent, and if you don't you're a bad person and a bad fan. Poke fun at their hyperbole and you're an asshole who doesn't let people be a fan how they want. That's the irony of this entire thread. People who are having fun, being sarcastic and poking fun at crazy over the top comments - like you would with friends or at an actual bar - are called condescending assholes who are telling other people how to be a fan... trying to figure out what direction this place actually wants to go, because having a good time at people's hyperbole is resented by many posters and moderators here. Heck, it happened in this very thread which admittedly may have been a bit off topic for it lol

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I've been told constantly that those posters should be left alone and they're just "venting." Let them vent, and if you don't you're a bad person and a bad fan. Poke fun at their hyperbole and you're an asshole who doesn't let people be a fan how they want. That's the irony of this entire thread. People who are having fun, being sarcastic and poking fun at crazy over the top comments - like you would with friends or at an actual bar - are called condescending assholes who are telling other people how to be a fan... trying to figure out what direction this place actually wants to go, because having a good time at people's hyperbole is resented by many posters and moderators here. Heck, it happened in this very thread which admittedly may have been a bit off topic for it lol

I think you can still do this without being called a condescending asshole. There are a number of posters that poke fun with others and get away with it. 

I mean this with respect Ray Ray - you just have a way with words that sometimes makes you come off as a pompous, condescending asshole, lol. I think you have gotten better about it for sure, but your reputation from when you joined has stuck in people's minds. You came into soxtalk quite hot with a smarter-than-thou attitude and would call everybody "pal" in condescending fashion. 

On 4/29/2021 at 8:55 AM, bmags said:

While there are going to be varying degrees which we won't lay out to allow interpretations, I think personal attacks should be more interpreted as bringing in stuff outside the field (family, etc) to be critical just because they made a bad play. But there are degrees of this, drake laroche posts were family but he also brought the kid into the white sox business. So, I know people want firm guidance but we aren't going to provide it, you aren't going to be banned if a player airballs a throw to first and you call them a moron, no.

Ok, this is useful. We all want to be able to express ourselves, while respecting the house rules.

On 4/29/2021 at 8:59 AM, knightni said:

"Moron" and "idiot" are different than "I hope your kid gets run over by a wheat thresher."

Fair enough. I wouldn't wish someone harm, but I'm more than comfortable calling someone stupid, if they behave so.

22 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Lets make things real simple - there is a big difference between so and so is terrible at their job and should be canned vs. what this is getting at.  It really isn't as hard as people make this out to be. We have always been a reasonable and fair forum and in the vast majority of the time - the individual posters do an amazing job policing themselves.  No - none of us are perfect, but in general - we have always said - give us your take - but do it in a way respectful to others and that is respectful. 

Well, I'll do my best. I dont like to post in the game threads. But for as stupid as this FO has behaved, it ain't always easy! 🤣

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

30 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I think you can still do this without being called a condescending asshole. There are a number of posters that poke fun with others and get away with it. 

I mean this with respect Ray Ray - you just have a way with words that sometimes makes you come off as a pompous, condescending asshole, lol. I think you have gotten better about it for sure, but your reputation from when you joined has stuck in people's minds. You came into soxtalk quite hot with a smarter-than-thou attitude and would call everybody "pal" in condescending fashion. 

Lol none taken. 

I bust balls and give people are hard time often offline too. People do it to me offline all the time too. Just the personality of those around me. I do also like poking the bear offline and on because it cracks me up. I get that gets people wound. I also typically don't care when it's done to me 99.9% of the time. We all have bad days and can get riled up, I'm not immune. What no one can say is that I take personal shots at people. I think sometimes people would prefer i did over getting palled to death which is probably why I love the word so much 😅

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Snopek said:

It really does feel like something that’s increased the past several years. Not sure if it’s social media and/or the “hot take” culture, but it seems people have less interest in nuance these days. You must have a strong, definitive opinion on everything and you must shout it at people ASAP. 

20 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I have found gen z lacks critical thinking skills.  I blame the Internet and Twitter where being loud and confident pays off more than being humble and reflective.

There is a Finnish proverb I think about often as I get older: "life, if nothing else teaches us to walk slowly".

This is the problem I have being older and walking slowly. Vaughn starts slowly. LaRussa takes him out of the lineup on occasion. I agree because of various reasons I lay out in a reflective non hating on Vaughn type of way.

Getting some favorable matchups could help him gain confidence,he doesn't have to be out there every day ,he's had so little minor league experience, it's a huge jump he's making etc. But all that gets ignored and all of a sudden I'm the Nick Williams lover and Vaughn hater who says Vaughn can't hit righties.

Every time Vaughn isn't playing it's non stop venom being spit in the game threads. "Vaughn is playing great now why isn't he playing "? in like 10 posts in a row. Finally, I said has anyone stopped to think that he might be playing better now because LaRussa plays him in games he views as favorable matchups (almost all lefties and some finesse type righties) for Vaughn so he could gain confidence instead of running him out there against righties with nasty sliders and overwhelming heat ? No critical thinking  at all just misdirected  anger at LaRussa and anyone who thinks he's making the right call with an inexperienced young hitter and left fielder. Every time Vaughn now gets a hit it's like " I was told he couldn't hit righties" or "maybe Nick Williams should ve played today ." I think LaRussa put Vaughn in a position to succeed and it's working.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This is the problem I have being older and walking slowly. Vaughn starts slowly. LaRussa takes him out of the lineup on occasion. I agree because of various reasons I lay out in a reflective non hating on Vaughn type of way.

Getting some favorable matchups could help him gain confidence,he doesn't have to be out there every day ,he's had so little minor league experience, it's a huge jump he's making etc. But all that gets ignored and all of a sudden I'm the Nick Williams lover and Vaughn hater who says Vaughn can't hit righties.

Every time Vaughn isn't playing it's non stop venom being spit in the game threads. "Vaughn is playing great now why isn't he playing "? in like 10 posts in a row. Finally, I said has anyone stopped to think that he might be playing better now because LaRussa plays him in games he views as favorable matchups (almost all lefties and some finesse type righties) for Vaughn so he could gain confidence instead of running him out there against righties with nasty sliders and overwhelming heat ? No critical thinking  at all just misdirected  anger at LaRussa and anyone who thinks he's making the right call with an inexperienced young hitter and left fielder. Every time Vaughn now gets a hit it's like " I was told he couldn't hit righties" or "maybe Nick Williams should ve played today ." I think LaRussa put Vaughn in a position to succeed and it's working.

If Gen z supposedly have no critical thinking skills, then you boomers are incapable of just admitting you were wrong lol. 

The handling of Vaughn has been atrocious. It's OK to just admit that and move on. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Wow, again?

• Thanks 1