GAME THREADS WARNING

knightni

I have my moments with people on here. Everyone knows that. I try to keep it about baseball and sports as much as possible(I can't contain myself sometimes sorry). There's a point though during game threads especially the night games where I roll my eyes and close the site until the score changes(for the better). With us having higher expectations I think there will be a little more hostility than usual. 

Edited by Baron

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think LaRussa put Vaughn in a position to succeed and it's working.

I agree CaliSoxman.  In fact, Tony has made a lot of good decisions and a few bad decisions, like every Manager.  Meanwhile look at what other Managers and their teams have been doing around the league.  How about AJ Hinch challenging Madrigal's single while trailing 11-0?  Senior-type moment?  Beyond that, the Tigers do not look like they even want to be on the field...not motivated and lacking concentration. Errors everywhere.  How about Cubman Ross managing a last place club with a lot of premier talent who have looked terrible and depressed their fan base?

If the Sox go into an extended drought, JR might think about  asking Ozzie to be LaRussa's bench coach  for 2021 with the tacit understanding that he takes over as Manager  in 2022.   As it stand now though,  LaRussa has the team motivated  and winning.  The player look like they are into it. None of them have expressed the kind of ill will toward Tony that Cub fans and other disgruntled haters have. The mindless criticism of Tony strikes me as bizarre. I have never seen anything quite like it save for Harry Carey in his White Sox career before the Cub organization put a muzzle on him.

Bennetti has now started to question some of Tony's decisions in real time and that has not always been done respectfully.  LaRussa vs Bennettti may develop into a thing if he keeps it up and JR will be the final arbiter of that.

Edited by tray
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, tray said:

I agree CaliSoxman.  In fact, Tony has made a lot of good decisions and a few bad decisions, like every Manager.  Meanwhile look at what other Managers and their teams have been doing around the league.  How about AJ Hinch challenging Madrigal's single while trailing 11-0?  Senior-type moment?  Beyond that, the Tigers do not look like they even want to be on the field...not motivated and lacking concentration. Errors everywhere.  How about Cubman Ross managing a last place club with a lot of premier talent who have looked terrible and depressed their fan base?

If the Sox go into an extended drought, JR might think about  asking Ozzie to be LaRussa's bench coach  for 2021 with the tacit understanding that he takes over as Manager  in 2022.   As it stand now though,  LaRussa has the team motivated  and winning.  The player look like they are into it. None of them have expressed the kind of ill will toward Tony that Cub fans and other disgruntled haters have. The mindless criticism of Tony strikes me as bizarre. I have never seen anything quite like it save for Harry Carey in his White Sox career before the Cub organization put a muzzle on him.

Bennetti has now started to question some of Tony's decisions in real time and that has not always been done respectfully.  LaRussa vs Bennettti may develop into a thing if he keeps it up and JR will be the final arbiter of that.

Loosen up the tin foil, blood restriction to the brain can result in crazy posts 

• Like 2

We have the second best run differential in MLB, the 4th best record in the AL, and have won 8 of our last 10.

We still haven’t been playing as good as we can play.

Time to take a chill pill?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If Gen z supposedly have no critical thinking skills, then you boomers are incapable of just admitting you were wrong lol. 

The handling of Vaughn has been atrocious. It's OK to just admit that and move on. 

I don't know your generation and I don't care .  My opinion has been working so far. In what way was I wrong ? If you can't tell the difference between occasionally rest  and favorable matchups and demands for playing a very inexperienced player every day and putting that player in a position to do better you have lost your marbles haha lol and any baseball knowledge you think you process. Everyone on this team gets rested and LaRussa plays backups oh noooo I am so wrong ! Vaughn gets pinch hit for by Eaton against a tough righty . Oh no what is LaRussa doing ? Eaton hits a HR. I was told everyone knows I am wrong because I was in the minority. That's some fucked up thinking. Maybe abolitionists , suffragettes, and those who thought the earth was round were wrong too.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If Gen z supposedly have no critical thinking skills, then you boomers are incapable of just admitting you were wrong lol. 

The handling of Vaughn has been atrocious. It's OK to just admit that and move on. 

It must be nice to have access to the multiverse where you can see alternate realities where Vaughn has been handled differently and evaluate his success in each universe. That must be what enables you to make such absolute statements. Tell me ... in which universe was he handled optimally? And by whom? You state things as fact when they are clearly just your opinion, but, truth be told, you don't have any idea whether TLR is handling things "right" or not. It's this kind of stuff that comes across as plain arrogance. CIrcumspection is not a bad quality to have.

Just my $0.02.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

As far as game threads go, I've heard the bar room analogy used a lot. I don't know about you guys, but I'm most certainly not hanging out at the bar with guys that are going to piss and moan on pretty much every pitch over a 162 game season. I remember game threads being mostly fun. People were usually sarcastic. A couple posters would carry on some argument for a couple pages, but it never really got personal. Then the Sox would score and all would be forgotten, or they'd lose and people would move on. It was still generally fun though - win or lose. 

For the overall culture of the board, I'm probably not the best judge. When I come to the board nowadays, I have 1 of 2 reactions: I'll either read a page or 2 of a thread and think to myself, that's enough Soxtalk for the next couple weeks. Or, I'll read something that pisses me off and I'll get caught in the fray. I will say that I don't think it's negative vs positive though. Fathom has historically been one of the most negative posters here, and he's also one of my favorite posters. He adds value. He's not hateful. He's just a pessimistic guy, and after you follow his posts for while, it's kind of funny and you realize it's just his nature, but he's authentic . I think it has more to do with hyperbole and general combativeness. Once a board becomes hyperbolic, it becomes a rat race. Then you factor in the that posters are just downright nasty to each other (myself sometimes included), and I'm not really sure if there's any recovery from that. Too many longtime posters just build up too much resentment for each other. However, I really think the competition to see who can exaggerate the most has been the board's biggest downfall. I don't think there's a fix for it because it's impossible to moderate. 

This is a good post. Another thing about the bar room analogy is these sports bar arguments do have a tendency to get heated and erupt into violence occasionally , it happens at the ballpark too once in a while especially during Sox-Cubs games. @fathom is a great poster. Very witty, doesn't carry on protracted arguing, gives props to other others right in the thread or in a pm. He posts in a non combative manner , not this shoot from the hip, i can hide behind my keyboard style. He posts maturely.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Wow, again?

See what I mean ? Excuse me if after I see posts that still mock me by basically accusing me of things I never said that I feel I am being wronged. So yes again and again and again if i think its necessary . Deal with it. The Vaughn fan boys are still laughing at my posts because I said I didnt like it and think it's rude so they behave childishly and do it more. It's so immature as was your post.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

19 minutes ago, skooch said:

It must be nice to have access to the multiverse where you can see alternate realities where Vaughn has been handled differently and evaluate his success in each universe. That must be what enables you to make such absolute statements. Tell me ... in which universe was he handled optimally? And by whom? You state things as fact when they are clearly just your opinion, but, truth be told, you don't have any idea whether TLR is handling things "right" or not. It's this kind of stuff that comes across as plain arrogance. CIrcumspection is not a bad quality to have.

Just my $0.02.

This is the optimal way to reply to arrogance in a situation where there is clearly no right or wrong.

22 minutes ago, skooch said:

Just my $0.02.

So Vaughn is succeeding because his manager sits him on the bench for bad players? Consistent playing time, from my history and understanding, are the best ways to maintain offensive consistency. Playing less often makes hitting more difficult.

What did I state as a fact? If you want to applaud Tony LaRussa for benching Andrew Vaughn so he could play a guy who is not in the big leagues any longer, by all means go right ahead and applaud that decision making.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This is the optimal way to reply to arrogance in a situation where there is clearly no right or wrong.

Lol you wrote a 3 paragraph analysis of how you were right and everyone who disagreed with you and mastermind LaRussa was wrong, I responded with one sentence about your unwillingness to admit you were wrong about Vaughn not being ready (which was your initial argument regarding this entire ordeal), and somehow my post was the arrogant one. 🤣

Again, this place is hilarious sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So Vaughn is succeeding because his manager sits him on the bench for bad players? Consistent playing time, from my history and understanding, are the best ways to maintain offensive consistency. Playing less often makes hitting more difficult.

What did I state as a fact? If you want to applaud Tony LaRussa for benching Andrew Vaughn so he could play a guy who is not in the big leagues any longer, by all means go right ahead and applaud that decision making.

I was very much wait-and-see on TLR, but I've actually started to worry about his lineups as well. But today, he's sitting Vaughn against RHP Bieber. Is that optimal or not? I can see an argument for it, even if I'm not enamored with the alternative.

3 minutes ago, skooch said:

I was very much wait-and-see on TLR, but I've actually started to worry about his lineups as well. But today, he's sitting Vaughn against RHP Bieber. Is that optimal or not? I can see an argument for it, even if I'm not enamored with the alternative.

Is he really? Fucking TLR. Vaughn is hot, and the alternatives are garbage. It definitely is not optimal.

Edited by ron883
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, skooch said:

No, Vaughn shouldn't be sitting to play Leury Garcia who can't hit left handed and can't hit Bieber. Vaughn will need to face tough righties in his career, and I don't think he is having "confidence" problems given that he skipped two minor league levels and has been absolutely raking in the big leagues.

You need your BEST PLAYERS to play even more against the best pitcher in the league, not less.

Edit: Bieber is arguably better vs lefties than righties too, so the entire argument makes no sense.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Is he really? Fucking TLR. Vaughn is hot, and the alternatives are garbage. It definitely is not optimal.

I didn't see the lineup yet, but I certainly can't follow the logic that we won't put our absolute best players in the lineup vs the best pitcher in the AL to maximize our chance of scoring. Vaughn doesn't need to be protected, he's not a child. He's a flat out professional hitter who rakes.

If he was sitting Vaughn for a league average left fielder then I don't think we'd be having this conversation. Hell if Engel was healthy most of this board would be good with him starting in LF (or RF). But he's sitting him for the likes of Nick Williams (sucks), Leury Garcia (who is fine as a bench player, but obviously is exposed with the increase of playing time), and Jake Lamb (who is a third baseman AND sucks). None of those three options are STARTING leftfielders in the big leagues and we don't expect Vaughn to be, but we do expect him to be a major league hitter. If he somehow becomes an adequate OF then you just hit the jack pot. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, ShoeLessRob said:

If he was sitting Vaughn for a league average left fielder then I don't think we'd be having this conversation. Hell if Engel was healthy most of this board would be good with him starting in LF (or RF). But he's sitting him for the likes of Nick Williams (sucks), Leury Garcia (who is fine as a bench player, but obviously is exposed with the increase of playing time), and Jake Lamb (who is a third baseman AND sucks). None of those three options are STARTING leftfielders in the big leagues and we don't expect Vaughn to be, but we do expect him to be a major league hitter. If he somehow becomes an adequate OF then you just hit the jack pot. 

Am I watching a different game than some others?

Vaughn has been fine defensively, and if he qualified he'd rank 5th in wRC+ among all LF'ers in MLB (I'm not including people like Kris Bryant whose primary position is not LF).

Adam Engel absolutely should not play over Andrew Vaughn when he's healthy. Now, Engel playing against lefties for Eaton and giving Vaughn an occasional blow is fine, but he shouldn't be playing everyday over Andrew Vaughn.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Am I watching a different game than some others?

Vaughn has been fine defensively, and if he qualified he'd rank 5th in wRC+ among all LF'ers in MLB (I'm not including people like Kris Bryant whose primary position is not LF).

Adam Engel absolutely should not play over Andrew Vaughn when he's healthy. Now, Engel playing against lefties for Eaton and giving Vaughn an occasional blow is fine, but he shouldn't be playing everyday over Andrew Vaughn.

I think he looks fine in LF just FYI, better than Eloy! But obviously small sample size.  

On 4/28/2021 at 12:49 PM, knightni said:

It sucks to lose.

It's easy to point blame and be angry.

That said, you cross the line into personal attacks on the player or manager here at Soxtalk - expect a suspension.

No exceptions.

Please be a grown up and think before you type.

Can I request a spanking instead of a suspension?

Let’s all try to remember that whining, complaining and especially blaming are things a grown man just doesn’t do.   Ever.  That’s the line that’s constantly crossed on here and it’s ridiculous.  

None of us cool cats need to say “I told ya so.”  We don’t need credit or apologies, because we been cool about it.  

Bish be cool.   Rule #1   

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't know your generation and I don't care .  My opinion has been working so far. In what way was I wrong ? If you can't tell the difference between occasionally rest  and favorable matchups and demands for playing a very inexperienced player every day and putting that player in a position to do better you have lost your marbles haha lol and any baseball knowledge you think you process. Everyone on this team gets rested and LaRussa plays backups oh noooo I am so wrong ! Vaughn gets pinch hit for by Eaton against a tough righty . Oh no what is LaRussa doing ? Eaton hits a HR. I was told everyone knows I am wrong because I was in the minority. That's some fucked up thinking. Maybe abolitionists , suffragettes, and those who thought the earth was round were wrong too.

MemeII.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol you wrote a 3 paragraph analysis of how you were right and everyone who disagreed with you and mastermind LaRussa was wrong, I responded with one sentence about your unwillingness to admit you were wrong about Vaughn not being ready (which was your initial argument regarding this entire ordeal), and somehow my post was the arrogant one. 🤣

Again, this place is hilarious sometimes.

It might be lost on you, but you come across "arrogant" astronomically more often than he does.