GAME THREADS WARNING

knightni

3 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Just saw on my timeline that it’s now traveled to Steve Stone. He replied to a tweet about it. 

Stoney's tweets about the team are the tweets of a reasonable man/fan/announcer. Got to look at the big picture. (I can see why last night's game would bring out the worst in posters, though; it's unbearable to watch your team lose a game when the opponent commits five errors; has anybody looked up whether that's ever happened before?)

25 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Bad losses like last night's are going to happen. I personally am upset whenever I see Lamb's name in the lineup over Vaughn. However the Sox have put together a team that should make the playoffs again this year. This board is full of smart baseball minds who shouldn't live and die with each game, each run scored. The Sox are going to lose a lot of games but still should make the playoffs. I know die-hard fans rarely "enjoy the ride," but they should try.

As far as LaRussa, my observation is like most managers, he's going to be ripped after virtually every loss, except the one loss that follows a long winning streak. You can criticize his Sunday lineups without wishing harm to him. It's just a damn game, folks. The only games to completely freak out at are ones in the playoffs like last year when Ricky pulled Dunning after 15 pitches. That was arguably one of the worst decisions in managing history (not hyperbole). It's OK to say Ricky was incompetent based on that decision but not OK to say he deserves bodily harm. It's still just a game.

Why can't people think of Randy Quaid in Major League when they start losing it during close games or losses? That character stands up as the crazy baseball fan.

But Lamb actually had a very good game...?

15 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Link?!

Jesus, this just plays into the "ownership knows best/condescending crap" we always get.

That's one thing Benetti isn't, at least.  Or DJ/Kasper.

Stone and JR will double down and protect LaRussa, it's going to become even more and more polarizing as the season moves on if we're not in first place by the beginning of June/late May when big crowds start to come out.

The recent stuff with Kopech, heckling about his family/relationships...hopefully from someone not a fan of the White Sox, that shit is just unacceptable...but just goes to show in this social media era how knowing so much about athletes/celebrities can more and more frequently lead to emboldened real world consequences as many are internet tough guys/keyboard warriors.

We'll never know, but would love to sit down and hear what Hahn, KW and even Cooper actually think about TLR.

Royals take down the Pirates, now back to 7 games over .500 again and 2 1/2 games up on the Sox.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

I rarely post in Pale Hose Talk because it's just not as fun as other parts of the site, but I feel it has gotten significantly worse this year.

Half a life time ago we used to get upset about bad losses etc, but there was always some humor to go along with it. Always felt 2005 changed things. Who knows it's been so long now people have disappeared, reappeared and then disappeared again.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Jesus, this just plays into the "ownership knows best/condescending crap" we always get.

That's one thing Benetti isn't, at least.

Stone and JR will double down and protect LaRussa,

To be fair, Stone was critical of just about everyone today regarding last night's game, including La Russa, though he said to be fair Tony needs more than a few weeks to know this team inside and out.

Steve Stone on the Score w/ Lawrence Holmes: https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/podcasts/laurence-holmes-on-670-the-score-61

Steve and Jason critical on the decision to leave Lucas in gassed, with well over 100 pitchers, third time through (18 minute mark is when the broadcast clip starts, though the whole first segment was well worth listening if you have the time): https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/podcasts/parkins-spiegel-show-63/parkins-spiegel-iron-man-streak-is-set-at-1-day-hour-1-371932161

The Lawrence Holmes and the Spiegel show crew going further saying this is fundamentally an organization wide failure and problem, the latter laying blame at the feet of Reinsdorf who seems to attract and foster the dysfunction in both of the sports organizations he ran.

Time will tell if Stone goes beyond this initial criticism to the level of his vitriol he lobbed toward Ricky throughout the entire season (well beyond the last week of the season) if this level of mismanagement by the manager continues.

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Twitter and Reddit?

Nashville Hot takes travel far and wide.

Go Sox!

I'll be honest, I'm shocked that chitown even saw the post or has a reaction to games because him and Tony stopped watching after a week because it just isn't fun and as they get older they have become very important and had better thing to do with their lives building mahogony tables in their workshops while learning Latin with Rosetta stone. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

In reply to a tweet linking the reddit thread. It was 1 of only 2 tweets he replied to of about 100 in the past 10 hours. lol

I swear people who do things like this in hopes of getting an internet high five from someone like Steve stone are a whole other level of weird. 

"Did you see what this stranger said on the internet!?!?!"

You literally don't need to venture much further than the response to any highly active tweet chain to see way more vile comments. I love that stone would be more appalled by a tweet like that than he, and many fans apparently, are by Tony larussa repeatedly driving drunk and risking actual lives. Weird stuff all around.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I swear people who do things like this in hopes of getting an internet high five from someone like Steve stone are a whole other level of weird. 

"Did you see what this stranger said on the internet!?!?!"

You literally don't need to venture much further than the response to any highly active tweet chain to see way more vile comments. I love that stone would be more appalled by a tweet like that than he, and many fans apparently, are by Tony larussa repeatedly driving drunk and risking actual lives. Weird stuff all around.

100%. That is completely pathetic of that dude to tweet at Stone. It must be the highlight of that dude's year. So sad. 

This is being blown so completely out of proportion. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

But Lamb actually had a very good game...?

My bad. I need an attitude adjustment sometimes, too. For some reason I have a negative vibe on Lamb. I need to judge him on what he does in each game and give the guy a break.

6 hours ago, ron883 said:

100%. That is completely pathetic of that dude to tweet at Stone. It must be the highlight of that dude's year. So sad. 

This is being blown so completely out of proportion. 

I looked at that Twitter account and it's really strange, it almost feels like a bot

8 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'll be honest, I'm shocked that chitown even saw the post or has a reaction to games because him and Tony stopped watching after a week because it just isn't fun and as they get older they have become very important and had better thing to do with their lives building mahogony tables in their workshops while learning Latin with Rosetta stone. 

You should try getting a life sometime, aside from me living in your head. You’ll be a happier, champ. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

You should try getting a life sometime, aside from me living in your head. You’ll be a happier, champ. 

You may want to try learning to take a joke. Life may become more fun for you. Who knows.

Some people are just wound so tight.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

25 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You may want to try learning to take a joke. Life may become more fun for you. Who knows.

Jokes aren’t funny from people you don’t like. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

17 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I agree with the sentiment and idea, but if I may -- this guidance needs to be clearer as "personal attacks" is an extremely broad category that encompasses about 90% of what's in a losing game thread.  Wishing for a specific person's death (!!) obviously, and comically, over the line.  "[Insert player] is an idiot" is a clear personal attack but I can't imagine it will result in a ban.  "[Insert manager] is a drunk" is somewhere in between and I legitimately don't know whether that falls into what you're describing.  Just my $.02

I also agree with the overall sentiment of this threads as well.

But I also agree that there appears to be a big grey area. Suppose that this FO does something that's impossibly stupid. Like, I dunno, fucking trading for James Shields-like figure, when the team:

1. Is in free fall in the standings,

2. Has a demonstrably-bad manager,

3. Has less talent than their competitors in the ALC, 

4. The James Shields-like player is playing poorly,

5. And the James Shields-like figure isn't good enough (by himself) to get the team into the playoffs. 

Would it be acceptable to call the FO, "fucking stupid," or "morons," or to post something like, "Holy Fucking Shit, those morons should be fucking fired," or the like?

I'm asking because such a statement, after such a move would be critical of the FO. I would also state that I think it would be fair to criticize the FO in this way. That is, if this FO ever did anything that dumb. Also, want to be clear about whats fair, and whats unfair, while not driving this towards WSI-like sacchariney-sweet FO water-carrying.

Thanks in advance.

27 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Remember when you quit the site?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I also agree with the overall sentiment of this threads as well.

But I also agree that there appears to be a big grey area. Suppose that this FO does something that's impossibly stupid. Like, I dunno, fucking trading for James Shields-like figure, when the team:

1. Is in free fall in the standings,

2. Has a demonstrably-bad manager,

3. Has less talent than their competitors in the ALC, 

4. The James Shields-like player is playing poorly,

5. And the James Shields-like figure isn't good enough (by himself) to get the team into the playoffs. 

Would it be acceptable to call the FO, "fucking stupid," or "morons," or to post something like, "Holy Fucking Shit, those morons should be fucking fired," or the like?

I'm asking because such a statement, after such a move would be critical of the FO. I would also state that I think it would be fair to criticize the FO in this way. That is, if this FO ever did anything that dumb. Also, want to be clear about whats fair, and whats unfair, while not driving this towards WSI-like sacchariney-sweet FO water-carrying.

Thanks in advance.

There isn't FO water carrying requested nor will there be.  Pandora's box is open we aren't closing it now, let's try and not wish death and injury on people openly in a game thread because of a bad result, and go from there.   There are many threads critical of the FO and TLR, those are fine and allowed, you can complain about them and wish they get fired.  

there have been multiple complaints about posts in pretty much every game thread this season, we have handled them differently depending on the post.  Some people simply don't like what another person said, others point out posters breaking site rules.   We try and give people some rope, people who are suspended usually have to go way over the line.  It's never gonna be perfect though 

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

There isn't FO water carrying requested nor will there be.  Pandora's box is open we aren't closing it now, let's try and not wish death and injury on people openly in a game thread because of a bad result, and go from there.   There are many threads critical of the FO and TLR, those are fine and allowed, you can complain about them and wish they get fired.  

there have been multiple complaints about posts in pretty much every game thread this season, we have handled them differently depending on the post.  Some people simply don't like what another person said, others point out posters breaking site rules.   We try and give people some rope, people who are suspended usually have to go way over the line.  It's never gonna be perfect though 

Understood. And I agree that there should be a line somewhere, based on "general fucking principle."

I also think there should be enough room to critique organizational figures that richly deserve such treatments.

Lastly, (and I FEAR this to be the case), of that earlier list, #2 is definitely true; #1 could be true (if the manager continues as he does), #3 COULD be true (without Robert and Jimenez, and with Hamilton as a starter), and #s 4-5 could be true, if this FO hasn't learned anything.

I sincerely hope posters won't have a reason(s) to critique this FO/test this forum's mods.