Grandal Vs. McCann

Tomtom

Before the season started, I was a huge proponent of batting Grandal 2nd because he sees a lot of pitches and has a good OBP. However, you've got to at least hit a little bit if you're going to be that high in the order so I definitely wouldn't put him there now. I think Madrigal is the best choice because, like Grandal, he sees a lot of pitches and has a good OBP, albeit by singles instead of walks.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why teams mess around with Grandal right now. He can't hit a 95 mPH unless it is way down in the zone. You can throw it center cut 3 times, you'll strike him out.

You have to give him credit, he can't really hit right now, but he is still not making a ton of outs.

Edited by Dick Allen

I would be really curious to know how many of those walks end up as the 1st out of a double play or ended up as one more man left on base.  His walks aren't outs, but they often feel more like empty calories instead of quality offensive contributions.

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

The Sox made McCann a ton of money by playing him in favorable matchups.

They are all smaller sample sizes. He is better than a .508 OPS, but they really overpaid. Maybe the Sox can get him back in a year or so with the Mets paying most of the contract.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I would be really curious to know how many of those walks end up as the 1st out of a double play or ended up as one more man left on base.  His walks aren't outs, but they often feel more like empty calories instead of quality offensive contributions.

Granted, a walk to Yas isn't the same as a walk to Billy Hamilton, but he is getting on base turning over the line up. When you're hitting .132, a walk is anything but empty calories. If he wasn't walking, he'd be striking out.

Obviously, there is cause for concern, but he didn't get much of a spring training, and he is streaky as hell anyway. I think eventually he will heat up.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Flashbacks of the 2010 Jim Thome “base-clogging“ argument. Grandal is having a quality offensive season with a historically low BABIP. 

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

The Sox made McCann a ton of money by playing him in favorable matchups.

Basically this.  He had a fantastic first half one year here and then was pretty meh after.  Other than his chemistry with Giolito I don't think the team is missing much of anything with him playing elsewhere, and I say that as a huge fan of his time in a Sox uniform.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Granted, a walk to Yas isn't the same as a walk to Billy Hamilton, but he is getting on base turning over the line up. When you're hitting .132, a walk is anything but empty calories. If he wasn't walking, he'd be striking out.

Obviously, there is cause for concern, but he didn't get much of a spring training, and he is streaky as hell anyway. I think eventually he will heat up.

His K-rate is right in line with his career averages. He is among the games best in exit velocity and hard hit rate. 

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Turning the lineup over is a fair point that I hadn't considered in my post.  I suppose there is value in those walks if it brings the the top of the order up faster.

His K-rate is right in line with his career averages. He is among the games best in exit velocity and hard hit rate. 

That's because he is trying to hit every ball about 900 feet. I think he is a bit lost at the plate right now. Hopefully it isn't because of age.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

That's because he is trying to hit every ball about 900 feet. I think he is a bit lost at the plate right now. Hopefully it isn't because of age.

That doesn’t make sense. Hitting the ball hard is the only thing a batter can control- If you want to see the batted ball profile of a guy slwoing down because of his age, check out Miggy‘s baseballsavant üage.

That doesn’t make sense. Hitting the ball hard is the only thing a batter can control- If you want to see the batted ball profile of a guy slwoing down because of his age, check out Miggy‘s baseballsavant üage.

Swing hard in case you hit it. 

5 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Abreu, Anderson and Moncada strike out more than him

That is because he takes his walks. If he was as allergic to walks as those guys, except Moncada, he would fan more than most pitchers. Of the 76 outs he has made, 32 were whiffs. 2 were a SF, and one a bunt.

Edited by Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That is because he takes his walks. If he was as allergic to walks as those guys, he would fan more than most pitchers.

Nope,  contact-percentage better than Abreu‘s.

And I wasn’t talking about the total number of strikeouts, but rather his K-rate. Grandal is having rotten batted ball luck, I don’t know why this is so hard to admit.

Edited by GermanSoxFan

24 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

He could be batting 15 for 30 this month with 10 more singles and 10 less walks and the outcome will mostly be the same.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It ABs that didn't end in walks, Abreu has made contact far more often.

Grandk‘s whiff percentage is lower than Abreu‘s and right there with Anderson‘s and Moncada‘s. I don’t know why this is so hard to accept.

Edited by GermanSoxFan

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Grandk‘s whiff percentage is lower than Abreu‘s and right there with Anderson‘s and Moncada‘s. I don’t know why this is so hard to accept.

As I said, it's because of his enormous amount of walks. You said no. You happen to be wrong.