Grandal Vs. McCann

Tomtom

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

As I said, it's because of his enormous amount of walks. You said no. You happen to be wrong.

Whiff percentage is not influenced by the outcome of the at bat. Just by the percentage of the batter swinging and missing, Regardless, Grandl not chasing pitches is now supposed to work against him? Strange logic.

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Whiff percentage is not influenced by the outcome of the at bat. Just by the percentage of the batter swinging and missing, Regardless, Grandl not chasing pitches is now supposed to work against him? Strange logic.

Never wrote that. In fact I have praised Grandal. But eventually something has to change, and hopefully it is him hitting better, because his walkd rate is about as sustainable as Yermin hitting .450. Not many people would have a .772 OPS hitting .141 on May 24th playing regularly.

Edited by Dick Allen

5 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Does whiff percentage include pitches taken for strikes?  That seems to be the biggest potential disconnect.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Never wrote that. In fact I have praised Grandal. But eventually something has to change, and hopefully it is him hitting better, because his walkd rate is about as sustainable as Yermin hitting .450. Not many people would have a .772 OPS hitting .141 on May 24th playing regularly.

I'd argue a 30% walk rate has a higher (but still remote) chance of sustaining than a .120 BABIP

You said thtat if Grandal wasn’t walking he would be striking out as much as your average pitcher. But, even if you ignore the walks he is swinging and missing and striking out less than other players. But whatever, Grandal is not among the top 10 of this team‘s problems. 

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

You said thtat if Grandal wasn’t walking he would be striking out as much as your average pitcher. But, even if you ignore the walks he is swinging and missing and striking out less than other players. But whatever, Grandal is not among the top 10 of this team‘s problems. 

Probably in the top 10. He has had some defensive issues. But I am no Grandal hater.

Edited by Dick Allen

58 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I would be really curious to know how many of those walks end up as the 1st out of a double play or ended up as one more man left on base.  His walks aren't outs, but they often feel more like empty calories instead of quality offensive contributions.

It really doesn't matter. It's like asking if a HR was a solo shot or with men on base or came when you are hopelessly behind. Getting on base  with a walk is a good thing. Of course a hit is better but what happens next is really of no consequence. Tons of runners get stranded but the more guys that get on base a lot ,the better the offense becomes.  This is why the Sox are the leaders in run differential. The offense isn't really as good as it appears but having a very good OBP definitely makes it a lot better. HR's win a lot more games now with hitter stats down throughout baseball  so getting on base means a lot more multi run HR's . Now we just need more HR's .

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

If Abreu had Grandal's eye.. holy shit.

He would be like Bonds in the steroid years.

Abreu has a good handle on the strike zone.

The difference between the two is Jose takes it upon himself to carry the offense, and will swing if there is a chance to knock in an important run. Grandal most at bats is content with letting a pitch go by, and let the next guy try to knock him in.

Sadly, the next guy in 2021 is typically Leury Garcia, a prime reason why Grandal’s walk rate is well above his career norms. It won’t be sustainable once real ML hitters return to hit behind Grandal, and pitchers bother to pitch to him.

Grandal SO/BB

2018 124/72

2019 139/109

2020 58/30

2021 32/37

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Just want to say I hope Hahn asks the Mets about Grandal for McCann.  Mets say no but it doesn't hurt to ask 

Yes James McCanns 45 OPS+ is exactly what the white sox are missing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

If Abreu had Grandal's eye.. holy shit.

He would be like Bonds in the steroid years.

I've been watching and a lot of these walks look a lot like the old school pitch around.  The 7-8-9 behind him isn't exactly intimidating.  I am guessing that's why TLR has tried moving him up and putting a hitter behind him who is with a damn to see if he can get a fastball over the plate to swing at.  

Because Grandal rarely swings at garbage and is a lie average hitter anyway I am not all that surprised by his numbers given the guys behind him.

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I've been watching and a lot of these walks look a lot like the old school pitch around.  The 7-8-9 behind him isn't exactly intimidating.  I am guessing that's why TLR has tried moving him up and putting a hitter behind him who is with a damn to see if he can get a fastball over the plate to swing at.  

Because Grandal rarely swings at garbage and is a lie average hitter anyway I am not all that surprised by his numbers given the guys behind him.

Yea and some impatient guys wouldn’t take those pitch arounds.  

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

McCann was valuable as the only active pitching coach on the staff during his time here.

With Katz here, McCann’s role would primarily be as Lucas Giolito’s personal catcher.

With Collins improvement and surprising game calling ability vs. what he was reported to be, a McCann and Collins tandem is a solid tandem and good value for the money.

Also, on offense, Frank'll fix 'em.

The Sox should move Grandal to the #2 spot in the lineup.  Having the slap factory behind him doesn’t work well given how god damn slow he is.  The value he provides in drawing walks will work much better with Yoan, Jose, & Mercedes behind him that are capable of hitting the ball out of the park.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox should move Grandal to the #2 spot in the lineup.  Having the slap factory behind him doesn’t work well given how god damn slow he is.  The value he provides in drawing walks will work much better with Yoan, Jose, & Mercedes behind him that are capable of hitting the ball out of the park.

I'd rather have contact behind TA.

IMO:

Anderson

Yerminator

Abreu

Grandal

Moncada

Or

Anderson

Yerminator

Moncada

Grandal