When will injured players be back and who will they replace?

CentralChamps21

Luis Robert expected back today. Very likely Gonzalez gets sent down.

Lance Lynn expected back Saturday. Very likley McRae gets sent down.

Adam Engel expected back early May. This is where it gets tougher, but I think Lamb is the one who goes, at least he's the one who should go.

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Luis Robert expected back today. Very likely Gonzalez gets sent down.

Lance Lynn expected back Saturday. Very likley McRae gets sent down.

Adam Engel expected back early May. This is where it gets tougher, but I think Lamb is the one who goes, at least he's the one who should go.

I think these are all spot on. While we’re at it, Luery has played himself out of a spot IMO replace him with Mendick. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any news on Jace Fry? My googling skills have turned up nothing.

I saw that he'd been transferred to the 60 day IL back in April, but that was to open up a spot for the awesome -0.2 fWAR that Nick Williams added.

Is he done for the year?

Thanks in advance.

Fry is a gas-spewing garbage man.  Hopefully he will return in some other team's uniform.  I cannot imagine how much it would suck seeing a guy who is appreciably worse than both Marshall and Foster pop up on Tony's "get 'em work, keep 'em fresh" list.  He will definitely be a 2ip guy under TLR like everyone else and that just isn't going to work for him.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:55 AM, Bad Hombre said:

I think these are all spot on. While we’re at it, Luery has played himself out of a spot IMO replace him with Mendick. 

Leury should be the primary guy in CF while Engel is out and Mendick should be the primary backup IF.  Those two should be enough to keep Goodwin, Hamilton, and Williams off the team. Maybe if Luis Gonzalez earns a spot with his bat he can get some run but to me he just looks like another 4th OF type and I would rather go for the experience instead.

There must be a cheap veteran corner OF type out there on the trade market somewhere who has some pop.  I'd rather get a hitter and pull the plug on some of these other players.

12 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Leury should be the primary guy in CF while Engel is out and Mendick should be the primary backup IF.  Those two should be enough to keep Goodwin, Hamilton, and Williams off the team. Maybe if Luis Gonzalez earns a spot with his bat he can get some run but to me he just looks like another 4th OF type and I would rather go for the experience instead.

There must be a cheap veteran corner OF type out there on the trade market somewhere who has some pop.  I'd rather get a hitter and pull the plug on some of these other players.

Funny, a week ago sox fans were calling for Leury's head. Now he's the best option for starting in CF after Robert and Engel are out.

Engel, please come back. We miss you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Funny, a week ago sox fans were calling for Leury's head. Now he's the best option for starting in CF after Robert and Engel are out.

Pretty please with sugar on top.🙂

Leury has looked better with more consistent playing time.  He looks, when playing regularly, like the guy who was a good bench guy over the past few seasons.  If it weren't for the Engel and Robert injuries, he wouldn't be getting the playing time and would most likely not be very good.  It makes sense to have him be the primary CFer until Engel returns.  Eaton and Mendick can hold down RF, and Vaughn is solid in LF.

When (hopefully) Engel returns, Mendick and Leury need to stay, and Lamb needs to hit the road.

6 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Leury has looked better with more consistent playing time.  He looks, when playing regularly, like the guy who was a good bench guy over the past few seasons.  If it weren't for the Engel and Robert injuries, he wouldn't be getting the playing time and would most likely not be very good.  It makes sense to have him be the primary CFer until Engel returns.  Eaton and Mendick can hold down RF, and Vaughn is solid in LF.

When (hopefully) Engel returns, Mendick and Leury need to stay, and Lamb needs to hit the road.

Leury has had consistent playing time all year and has a .495 OPS. He had a multi homer game last year in his 16 games. He's barely sniffed being league average outside of that 16 game season. If Goodwin is healthy I think he should get the majority of the starts in CF over Leury. He's more proven on both sides of the ball and Leury on the bench affords more flexibility.

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Leury is fine when he is left to the supersub role.  Pushing him into the starting line up every day is the problem.  The problem is that we don't really have anyone better to start on a daily basis in CF right now.

The only tough decision is after all three return (Lamb and Hamilton being the first two to go) and if everyone else is healthy and performing. 

The Sox can still keep everyone with 12 Pitchers / 14 Hitters (Bench: Yermin, Collins, Engel, Mendick and Garcia), the question is will they sacrifice a 13th pitcher if the entire team is healthy. Baseball typically has a way of working itself out.

I'm hoping the rosters are increased to 27/28 next season with the new CBA, eliminating taxi squads and allowing adequate hitting and pitching depth.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Leury is fine when he is left to the supersub role.  Pushing him into the starting line up every day is the problem.  The problem is that we don't really have anyone better to start on a daily basis in CF right now.

Monitor Gavin Sheets in AAA - playing RF.  Eaton RF/CF & Engel CF potentially...