White Sox Game 2 Winner!

ron883

This has been my favorite day as a White Sox fan since 2005. 

Looking up the record book, the last time the White Sox swept two doubleheaders in a season, and in a single month was the prior millennium, 1999. The White Sox swept Tampa Bay in April, and then swept Texas and Baltimore in August. I have a feeling this team will finish with a much better record than the 75-86 finish of the 1999 squad.

Also glad Boyd doesn't appear to have a major injury at this juncture. Keep the line moving!

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

Cease 1st and foremost. Vaughn,if he can keep this up , steadily gaining confidence from the selective match ups TLR gives him , he'll be a big boost to the offense in an expanded roll . Mercedes , the man, the myth . I hit only 450 ft HR's or I won't hit HR's. Leury proving that once again a versatile , switch hitting, speedy ,jack of all trades is an asset.

Moncada and Abreu doing what 3 and 4 hitters should do. Madrigal waving the magic wand and pulling rabbits out of hats.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BRDSR said:

Great day of White Sox baseball.  Rest of the division is languishing except KC, who can’t last at the pace they’re at.  Things are looking up!

There are four good teams in this division. The other three orgs are better run and managed. This team has great SP's with a spotty bullpen, hitting and defense.  Good luck. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, pcq said:

There are four good teams in this division. The other three orgs are better run and managed. This team has great SP's with a spotty bullpen, hitting and defense.  Good luck. 

We’re leading the league in runs and run differential and we’re the ones with “spotty hitting”?  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

Leury showed last night he can be a devastating weapon for us as an everyday pla... utility sub / late inning replacement weapon.

Leury is fine it used correctly.  Earl Weaver was my kind of manager.  He played his best position players every day and used subs to rest regulars in the blowout games, late-inning base runner, and defensive situation.  He didn't believe in bunting a guy over either.  His core belief was you only get 27 outs so he wasn't going to give any of them away.  No Sunday lineups for him.  He made every attempt to win each and every game.  His methods might be called outdated today...but fans didn't pay their money to watch the scrubs play.

• Love 1

One of the most exciting thing about this team are all the potential "windfall" type contributors we seem to have.  I feel like teams that go deep often have at least one player who comes out of nowhere to dominate, fill a huge hole, and push the team over the top.  2005 had Contreras and Jenks (really even more than that).  The Cubs had Arrietta and Schwarber at the end.  There are guys lined up to fill that role for us:  Mercedes, Rodon, Kopech -- even Cease, Vaughn to some extent. 

1 hour ago, SpringfieldFan said:

Leury showed last night he can be a devastating weapon for us as an everyday pla... utility sub / late inning replacement weapon.

while I agree, come on, we all know why Leury has had to play so much this year. The reason he is valuable is because he can step in for pretty much any injured player.

• Like 1

I think Leury has gotten unfairly lumped in with the Nick Williamses and Lambs in the (justified) chorus of lineup complaints -- he's a great super-sub.  Everybody seemed to agree on that last year but fans are fickle.  We're lucky to have such a solid player with such versatility, especially with the injuries we've had.

In the first game, I was out loud complaining that TLR didn't pinch hit for Leury and didn't even finish my sentence before he came through. I get that the Sox never intended for him to be playing this much and injuries happened, but I still think he's out there in place of Vaughn and Madrigal too much. His value is that he is competent at 7 positions while not being a significantly worse hitter than guys like Mendick, Lamb and Hamilton.

As for Cease, I love how Stone said that he was pitching well enough to beat anybody and not just the Tigers. That's one of those things everybody is thinking but nobody actually says out loud. Had me laughing.

10 hours ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Really happy for Dylan.  That's the most carefree, emotional, animated version of Cease we've seen since he's been called up.  That's the pitcher he CAN be.

That said, he could just be pulling a ReyLo and dominating the Tigers.  I'm not sayin'....just sayin'.

This. Exactly this. 

I hope he can keep this up against the big boy teams, and not just the AAAA teams like Detroit. I hope he can continue to throw strikes, and not walk the yard every 5th day.

So far, this has been really his only "good start" of this season, and really, his 1st "good start," maybe going back to last August.

More of this, please.

30 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I think Leury has gotten unfairly lumped in with the Nick Williamses and Lambs in the (justified) chorus of lineup complaints -- he's a great super-sub.  Everybody seemed to agree on that last year but fans are fickle.  We're lucky to have such a solid player with such versatility, especially with the injuries we've had.

Yes. In my thinking, "utility sub / late inning replacement weapon" is the definition of "super sub". He can competently fill any role at any time, which makes him uniquely valuable. 

The only role he shouldn't fill is "primary everyday starter". I have said before, a championship calibur team needs a Leury for a super sub. Also rans need a Leury as a regular.

Edited by SpringfieldFan

Leury was really playing well offensively until he ruptured the thumb ligament last year. when he returned in the playoffs last year and until yesterday he has looked bad at the plate. I had the same injury playing basketball when I was a young teacher. I was also playing in a semi-pro baseball league with collage kids at the time. I had no power in my hand because of the injury. A doubled in the last game of the season for my only base hit. The next year I was back to hitting hr's, doubles, & triples. Of course I didn't get the great rehab Leury has access to, but don't be surprised if the pop starts returning to his bat again. I believe he had 7 hr before the injury last year.

2 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

We’re leading the league in runs and run differential and we’re the ones with “spotty hitting”?  

I have read a few complaints about the lineup but I could be wrong. Cleveland is weak but we get to face Biebs. Likely a low run game. Our SP's might be best in the AL. Imagine going to the playoffs and having six good starters to pick and choose. Had no idea about the 124 runs from reading this site thanks for the correction. Kind of scary.  

13 hours ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Really happy for Dylan.  That's the most carefree, emotional, animated version of Cease we've seen since he's been called up.  That's the pitcher he CAN be.

That said, he could just be pulling a ReyLo and dominating the Tigers.  I'm not sayin'....just sayin'.

I agree and it's great to see Cease have such a dominant game. However in my imo, I think the last few starts of Kopech and knowing management wants Kopech as a starter soon, was a huge factor in waking up Cease. I am quite certain Cease realized if he continued to struggle as a starter, then Kopech would eventually replace him and Cease would then head to the bullpen. 

• Like 1