Indians @ Sox, 4/30

Bob Sacamano

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Because certainly I had access to all his personal issues back in 2013...they were faxed to me by that guy who wore the hat behind home plate and always held a radar gun, Mike Brito.

But I still predicted that, nonetheless.

What I actually said was that I saw a lot of comparisons to a young Roberto Clemente, and that he had the ability to also play CF at a Gold Glove level.  I would have said the same thing about Sammy Sosa when he came up, had there been an internet at the time.

Our own General Manager said pretty much the same about Avisail Garcia at different points in time...maybe not quite so hyperbolically, but gushing with praise indeed.

Who is paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for their opinions?

And now you’re somehow applying something like cancel culture to an impression of him solely as a player in 2013-14, as if I could possibly predict back then all his problems off the field.   

I mean, if the White Sox had anyone worth watching in 2013 besides Chris Sale and Jose Quintana, I gladly would have watched Sox players instead.

I'm glad for fax machines and cancel culture(?? 😂)

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

What??? Leury knocked in 5 runs in the doubleheader including the game winner in each game. He should be a fixture in the lineup........................................................... till he cools off. 

A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. 

2 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I know managers manage to try to win every game, but I'd be OK with putting the "Sunday lineup" out there tonight, let Foster and Ruiz carry the bullpen load, and go full out for the weekend games.

If the Sox want to win a World Series then they need to have the attitude they are good enough to beat anyone...which they are.. and definitely our bitter rivals Cleveland. Btw, why cant we beat Bieber? We lead the AL in BA. OBP, and OPS. 

AL BA Sox .267 1st to Indians .209 13th

AL Runs Scored - Sox 124 runs 1st to Indians 90 runs 14th

Plus we have a better team ERA. 

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Facing Bieber reminds me of the old days when Sox faced Johan.  Gotta hope for a bloop and a blast.

The fact that Buehrle had a better career (according to fWAR, he edges him out) than Johan Santana is fascinating to me. It's a perfect peak vs. longevity argument.

Johan in his primed mowed people down, then fell apart. Buehrle was the same dude every year of his career, fell two innings shy of hitting 200 IP in 2015 and was like "guess I'll hang it up."

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

In the end, scouts can recognize talent/potential.

Buxton is the current AL favorite for the AL MVP.  Ohtani has returned to God-like status.  Moncada’s at least a Top 20-30ish player.  Kopech looks great again, etc.

The only difference scouts usually have is when this transformation to superstar will occur.

Of course, we can go back to Broxton/Brinson versus Luis Robert comps as well.

Baseball America has been ranking the Top 100 prospects in the game since 1990, when Braves lefthander Steve Avery debuted as the first-ever No. 1 prospect.

In the years since, 27 different players have held the title of No. 1 prospect in baseball. They include future Hall of Famers (Chipper Jones), multiple-time MVPs (Alex Rodriguez), World Series MVPs (Josh Beckett), Rookies of the Year (Kris Bryant, Ronald Acuna, Corey Seager, Bryce Harper, Ben Grieve) and, yes, the occasional disappointment (Brien Taylor, Todd Van Poppel).

A No. 1 ranking is no guarantee of future stardom. But more often than not, stardom does await the player crowned as the best up-and-coming prospect in the game.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/all-time-baseball-america-no-1-prospects/

When Buxton was sucking really bad I was saying I'd trade for him in a heartbeat. Physically gifted, great speed , outstanding CFer. Yeah I'll take my chances he'll mature as a hitter.

41 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

There’s two approaches against a guy like Bieber. Swing early in the count against fastballs or try to foul off a bunch of pitches and up his pitch count. Hopefully they try something different than last time because that clearly didn’t work. 

The righties seemed to have better swings last time vs Bieber than the lefties.  Yoan was missing the curve by a foot.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

The righties seemed to have better swings last time vs Bieber than the lefties.  Yoan was missing the curve by a foot.

I know they only mustered 3 hits off him, but only one of those came from a lefty (Eaton). 

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Pretty great leading the AL in runs per game by a good margin without hitting home runs. When the ball starts flying, this team will run away with the division.

Agree. It is amazing that they are leading in runs per game without really hitting the longball. I love the homerun as much as the next guy...but I have to say, I find multiple ways of scoring to be way more fun. 

The Sox are tied with Baltimore for 2nd to last in the AL with 23 bombs, yet they are tied for first in OPS with Boston at .758...that's getting the job done. And our MVP is definitely not putting up MVP-like numbers. Players are picking each other up offensively. (KC is actually dead last with 21 homers, and they have the best win percentage in the American League...I guess the homerun isn't necessarily the best way to win games).

Edited by ScooterMcGee

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There aren't many elite defense, difference making 3B in MLB anymore, Moncada is one of them.  Even if he's "just" a 125 wRC+ type for his career his defense will carry him well into his early 30s if he doesn't have chronic health issues.  I don't think people talk about how good is he defensively.  I thought he'd be a good defender at 3B but he's arguably the best in baseball.

I mean look at this:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=3b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2021&month=0&season1=2021&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2021-01-01&enddate=2021-12-31&sort=21,d

It's not even close...

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Something like this happened to me once... except with the dishwasher

No.  You are not going to drop this here and walk away.   Explain yourself.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, pcq said:

I would expect a lefty lineup against Biebs. They need a plan of attack. 

He is equally effective vs lefties and righties, for the most part, since 2019. I think the best strategy is to put your best players on the field vs him regardless of handedness.        

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic